Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Re: Updated Parts Interchange: 88-92 750 and 89-92 1100

Swingarms:
all swingarms from 92-93 600's, 88-93 750's and 89-93 1100 have the same bearing size so are a direct swap. the 94-95 750 and 94-98 1100 arms work but you need to slip the bearing sleave and spacer out of your swingarm and replace the ones in the later arm.

Here's a chart for wheel swaps.........
I bought Metmachex swingarm from a member on here, (great deal BTW and all around good guy) he said it was off a 91 1100, I tried installing it on a 88 750 but my links are too narrow to fit the mounting bracket on the arm. I have read on this thread that 88-92 are compatible but when I do research for links from 91/92 they look exactly identical to what I have on the 88 so I am at a loss. Anyone know if Metmachex made aftermarket links for their arms?

·
Master Debater
587 Posts

I bought Metmachex swingarm from a member on here, (great deal BTW and all around good guy) he said it was off a 91 1100, I tried installing it on a 88 750 but my links are too narrow to fit the mounting bracket on the arm. I have read on this thread that 88-92 are compatible but when I do research for links from 91/92 they look exactly identical to what I have on the 88 so I am at a loss. Anyone know if Metmachex made aftermarket links for their arms?
They are identical. A good way to answer these sort of questions on your own is by cross referencing part numbers using the fiche from cheapcycleparts.com

I'm afraid it sounds like you were given a bit of bad info... I could be wrong but they didn't use aftermarket links as far as I know... perhaps the swingarm is from a different bike??? If the pivot axel fits great and you want to make it work, custom links are easy to make for most machine shops. Post some pics if you want and we can spitball...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well i got some work done too, the S1000RR shock is in

The shock fits like it's made for this (1988 '750) frame, no play, same bolt diameters, and first impression of the "feel"? Well, much better then the old one for shure, and should be great after some adjusting (i'm around 250 pounds so i can't be a good reference for the most of you
)

Just like Jamminjesus said, need to find a better place for the starter relay and fuse because i took out all the plastic and the metal tray it was hangin' on, but since this is my "having fun with good weather bike" i'm fine with that.

So i totally agree with JamminJesus, S1000RR shock is a good way to go

Only one sad thing, the 750W swingarm does not work with this shock because of the position of the reservoir
Just got my 2013 s1000rr shock in and I find that theres play if I move the shock in a twisting motion and vertically about 1mm. Did you use any extra washers? Or maybe im missing something?

·
Master Debater
587 Posts
Just got my 2013 s1000rr shock in and I find that theres play if I move the shock in a twisting motion and vertically about 1mm. Did you use any extra washers? Or maybe im missing something?
Hi,
No extra washers! It bolts up perfectly. The top mount has a pivot joint that allows that little 1mm play you are experiencing... that is %100 normal. The shock will bolt up (literally) like it's made for the bike.

When I get a chance, later I will upload a video showing the play I am describing so you can be clear on the issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi,
No extra washers! It bolts up perfectly. The top mount has a pivot joint that allows that little 1mm play you are experiencing... that is %100 normal. The shock will bolt up (literally) like it's made for the bike.

When I get a chance, later I will upload a video showing the play I am describing so you can be clear on the issue.
That would be extremely helpful! Im thinking about replacing some of the bushings and spacers in the linkage assembly anyway, and inspecting the bearings just for peace of mind. There are some bits down there that are looking tired(thats what she said).

·
Master Debater
587 Posts
That would be extremely helpful! Im thinking about replacing some of the bushings and spacers in the linkage assembly anyway, and inspecting the bearings just for peace of mind. There are some bits down there that are looking tired(thats what she said).
Yes by all means change all the bearings/bushings you need since it's a good time to do it while everything is apart. Here is the video... Cheers!

·
Master Debater
587 Posts
by aldo.dauria, on Flickr

For Gixxer.com forum by aldo.dauria, on Flickr

And also here is the linkage I mentioned earlier for +33mm rear ride height which should greatly compliment the new s1krr rear shock...

For gixxer.com by aldo.dauria, on Flickr
For Gixxer.com by aldo.dauria, on Flickr
Untitled by aldo.dauria, on Flickr

I wanted to check back in and give a review of this swap after several rides. Ok guys... I've been running the bike with the S1KRR shock + Lust Racing (+33mm) linkages. Absolute winning combo! Everyone should do this errr at least the road racers and canyon carvers! The bike handles better than ever and man is that S1kRR shock great! It feels like an Ohlins! It eats up all the little bumps and is extremely stable at high speeds LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Since adding the linkages the bike leans over a little further on the side stand because of the +33mm ride height (stating the obvious)... a bit of a negative but I'll take it!

FYI for my initial setup I set the S1KRR shock high speed compression - 4, low speed compression- 4, rebound - 4 and momma mia it's like a dream! I weigh about 200lbs with gear. This setup is ideal for the canyons and street riding but out on the track I would likely increase high speed compression to 6 and rebound to 5 to start. If you don't go for the Lust Racing links you will need to setup even harder since they shift weight to the front.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts

Thanks for the review of the S1000 shock! I'm assuming you are using the stock spring on it. Mind telling us how much you weigh with gear?

Reason I ask is because with gear I'm over the stock spring weight range (even without gear I'm over) so that's holding me back from doing this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes by all means change all the bearings you can since its a good time to do it while everything is apart. Here is the video... Cheers!

http://youtu.be/3gcvotOXPuQ
Thank you! I'm pretty much a newb so I cant tell you how much I appreciate people like you taking the time to share knowledge and reviews. And very nice blue Gixxer by the way! As impressed I am with all the fine machines on here with pristine oem paint schemes im always stoked to see custom/home paint jobs, makes me feel good about my ride! Cheers!

·
Master Debater
587 Posts

Thanks for the review of the S1000 shock! I'm assuming you are using the stock spring on it. Mind telling us how much you weigh with gear?

Reason I ask is because with gear I'm over the stock spring weight range (even without gear I'm over) so that's holding me back from doing this.
I am around 200lbs with gear and yes it is the stock S1KRR spring. You can increase the spring preload if you are too heavy... it's so much better than the old OEM shock... I'd say go for it and play with the adjustments. If you still can't get it right pick up a heavier spring but just try it as is first... Beemer springs are easy to find too.

·
Master Debater
587 Posts
Thank you! I'm pretty much a newb so I cant tell you how much I appreciate people like you taking the time to share knowledge and reviews. And very nice blue Gixxer by the way! As impressed I am with all the fine machines on here with pristine oem paint schemes im always stoked to see custom/home paint jobs, makes me feel good about my ride! Cheers!
No problem buddy, we all start somewhere! I always enjoy helping out the oil slingers! :fact

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Hey Jam'n I just picked up one of the S1000RR shocks for my 1990 1100 looking forward to mounting it Im pretty sure you covered everything pretty much plug and play correct.... anything I missed???

Thanks Craig

·
Master Debater
587 Posts
Hey Jam'n I just picked up one of the S1000RR shocks for my 1990 1100 looking forward to mounting it Im pretty sure you covered everything pretty much plug and play correct.... anything I missed???

Thanks Craig
Hi Craig,
As long as you are not using a top braced swingarm you should be good. I have a 92 750 so the 88-92 750s with OEM swingarm are the only bikes I can truly speak for but in theory you should be good...

101 - 120 of 160 Posts
About this Discussion
159 Replies
93 Participants
murujune
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing