Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course, the next question should be:
How hard is it to drop the engine? I saw in my clymers that I need "special tools" to drop it off.
True? These people over here are crazy, want too much $$$ to look/rebuild japanese bikes. I've done car engines before, this doesn't seem too complicated, but want to make sure I can finish it before I start it. Last thing I need is to paint myself in the corner and have to order an engine. Too damn expensive I think...
Thanxs in advance guys.

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
step one is to get the OEM manual....it has a section on removing the engine (the reverse is for installing) and gives a good breakdown of what is needed (toolwise also) for the procedure)

good luck

ps- consult with gsxrfreak for the important stuff.......

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
Get a torque wrench and a good set of tools along with the OEM Service manual.
A digital camera is a good thing too so you can post picts of the problems and get answers.

Also a rear stand is very helpfull

jontflesh

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I found that having the bike on a rear and front stand makes the motor come out much faster.. Also getting a floor jack (like for a car) and remove the cup from it. The hole were the cup sits is a great size for the drain plug on the motor...

John

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
dont repeat dont get a haynes manual

mine's a falling to peices pile of shite

about a quater of the pages are still stuck to the book though !!!

crap

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
Originally posted by dan uk:
dont repeat dont get a haynes manual

mine's a falling to peices pile of shite

about a quater of the pages are still stuck to the book though !!!

crap
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">OEM is the way to go!
Haynes/Klymers are shit!

jontflesh

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, got it. I guess I better prepare myself mentally to do this. I don't mind the work, it's the waiting for crap to get here that kills me. Language barrier plays a big part too. I have the stands, jacks, tools, my question was specifically towards the "suzuki special tools" like engine mounting thrust adjuster socket wrench(#09940-14980). Is this really necessary???

But thanks guys anyway I slice it, seems that I'll be the one doing this operation by myself...

Thank you for the advice, I hope that you guys don't mind if I come here to pick your brains with this matter.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Heres my 2c,
There is a guy that has OEM manuals on CDs that you can buy for about $20. http://www.zedder.com The good thing is that you can print as many copies as you want, and if you mess them up, so what, print more. I would get one, but I already have a hard copy. My bike is STRIPPED down right now to the frame basically. I have a Race tech working on it. He is great !! (Any local guys need engine work, you should call my guy) PM me. I will give you his contact info. I've been watching him and it doesn't look that hard. Just experience makes it faster. My advice would be to cover all openings and keep track of ALL pieces (label them if you have to).

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
dropping the motor is pretty easy... I did not have that special tool to take it out...

do I need that thrust adjuster lock nut tool to put one back in? I never had a problem but you never know....

yah, front and rear stands are good. having another person makes it easy (you can pick the motor up by yourself though, its not heavy). also I found removing the kickstand made it slid out the left side of the bike easier, I just had a car floor jack with a board on it to hold the motor and slide it out underneath the frame

1 - 10 of 10 Posts