Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen this throttle and engine start assembly? It's not a great pic, but besides the normal switches, it has an on and off switch for the headlights and dual cable for carbs. I was told this was a Yoshimura item for 2nd generation GSXR's

Rob

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I dunno nuttin' bout that specific Yoshimura item (or even if that is an actual Yosh item) but I do know that the 3rd-gen water-cooled gixxers use a push-pull cable arrangement, and if you get a switchblock from a euro model (Non-US) then it will have the on/park/off switch for the headlights. I got someone overseas to score a switchblock for my 2nd-gen and it had the switch for the headlight in it and it plugs directly in to the US-model wiring-harness so it couldn't be simpler to "upgrade". Truly "plug-n-play".

Of course, mine isn't a Yosh item so if that's what you're after, I dunno anything helpful to tell ya. :shrug:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I remember seeing those in the Yosh catalogs from back in the day (yes, I USED to have
old Yosh catalogs from the 90's but were lost when I moved..UGH!

Wish I had one of those for my '91

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Gentlemen, I have this item, the actual one that is pictured. I was going to use it with the Bandit carb set up on my 87 1100, but this will not work without butchering. I will not cut up something that may be valuable for someone else. I will be selling it.

Rob

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey, does the part actually have the Yosh symbol on it? Because I've seen this discussed on another site and I think the Euro spec bike had the headlight switch on the handle. I'm pretty sure it is a Suzuki part. I'm sure some of the guys from UK or Europe may be able to confirm/correct this.

·
Panty Buncher
181 Posts
I have this throttle set-up as well. Besides the extra head light switch, there's nothing special about it, so I think it's just an eruo spec OEM part that Yoshimura was selling for big $ back in the days...

Anyway, it should plug directly into your '87 wiring harness and the push-pull throttle cables will work with FCR carbs fine.

I'm interested in this switch for my other GSX-R. If flaco backs out of the deal, let me know.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No it does not directly plug into my current wiring harness. I will post better pictures tonight.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a better picture. Makes sense that Yoshimura would offer a euro apec assembly like this. All you Yosh experts let me know. And Yes Flaco you have first dibs.
And i checked again, it does not have the same plug hookup as my 87 first generation harness. And I did not find any Yosh markings on it either.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
i am almost positive that the 86 & 87 wiring is different than the 88-92 wiring. i remember i had an extra throttle switch and it would not fit the 86. so, it might be for the euro 88-91's.

·
Panty Buncher
181 Posts
No it does not directly plug into my current wiring harness. I will post better pictures tonight.
Strange. Mine plugged into my '86 750 wiring harness without any modifications and the plugs looks exactly like yours.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I double checked after reading your post. I have an NOS 86 750 wiring harness on my 1100. I would have used it if it plugged right in, but it doesn't. I also have a 90 1100 NOS wiring harness in my inventory and it did plug right up. I could probably diaasemble one plug to the other and make it work, but I have several stock throttle assemblies, so i figured just to use one of them. Below is a pic, sorry for the focus. The "Yosh" type is on the left and the stock 1st gen. is on the right.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
It is only a euro spec switch tah Yosh put in a bag with a Yosh logo. I have one on my 88 that can from Yosh and one still in the bag.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts