Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just noticed that there are two variants of the R77 muffler that are referred to as "straight" and "flared". In the 12" length they are CRR77126W and CRR77F126W. The same thing occurs in the 14" length and is not related to the shell material (the above parts are the carbon shells) or to the use of an insert (both use the INS-04-K insert). Does anyone know what "flared" refers to?

For the most part the instructions show one type or the other. For example 1118120220 (L2 1000) lists the flared version. But I've found different instructions for 118202 (K9-L1 1000) with the flared and with the straight version.

What little information that I have indicates that the difference is in the end cap. What gives?

P.S. I don't think that this has anything to do with the dual exit R77D muffler.

·
2009 ASMA #3
1,275 Posts
Only difference I have noticed is in the exit piping. Some are round and straight, and the other goes to the edge of the cap.

Attachments

·
9,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
^I have a 14" CRR77146W "straight" muffler that looks like your first picture. The pictures on the Yoshimura site both look like your first picture but they might just be generic pictures.

Also, I've seen some R77's with a non-removable insert. Don't know much about them but don't believe that it has anything to do with this issue.

Is it possible that the exit pipe on the flared muffler expands out to a larger diameter and that's what's being shown in your second picture?

·
9,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm now betting that that's what it is. Take a look at the pics here. It's the flared style.

Now that I think I know what it is, I see quite a bit of miscommunication in ebay auctions about this by people selling new systems. They commonly grab a generic picture without regard to the exit style. In one auction two pictures were included for the same part, one had the straight style and the other flared.

P.S. The flared style looks more like the unobtanium true race muffler as seen it the third picture here.

·
9,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They may be phasing out the straight style. I haven't bothered to check but it may have to do with keeping up with the Akrapovic's and Leo Vince's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts