Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a new pipe for the old Gix and not alot of choices out there. Ain't wild about the V&H on it now (LOUD!!) but found a new one still produced, says quieter baffle, mild steel/alum cannister. Also found a Yosh Zyclone 'Race-Rep' system, mild steel with SS canister, for about the same price. Anyone got one? What should I expect for sound level? Anyone..? Anyone? Buehler??

------------------
dj

86 1100G, V&H Full, K&N

Click for a larger image

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
vance and hines used to make quieter baffles for their supersport canisters, if lower noise is what you're after....

not sure if they still make them, though, give them a call and ask.

------------------

[This message has been edited by jeff (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I thought about just replacing the baffle but the pipe is in rough shape otherwise. I took it off & sanded all the rust, repainted the steel hi-temp black, and sanded the rash from the alum. can best I could but it still looks like shite.

------------------
dj

86 1100G, V&H Full, K&N

Click for a larger image

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yosh pipes have a reputation for being on the quiet side but it depends on the canister. Their race canisters are basically straight through and while they'll probably be quieter than some of the pipes out there it won't be great, but the Zyclones are prety quiet. For a while Yosh had 3 cans available in the Zyclone line, a standard which was pretty quiet, a race which was relatively loud, and a low-noise pipe (I think it was called the ZRS or something) which was really quiet, like not much louder than stock. Your chances of finding a ZRS can are probably slim as I don't think they make them any more, but you might find one gathering dust in some shop. Here's a link to a good shootout of full exhausts, done on a 96 GSXR I think. You can see the Yosh Zyclone was basically the quietest tested, but the Duplex was relatively loud. I'd assume the Zyclone had the standard can and the Duplex a race, but that's a stretch.
http://sudco.com/exhaust2.html

Matt

------------------

[This message has been edited by MDill (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yeah, the zyclone canisters are pretty quiet. i'm surprised yosh still manufactures exhausts for the older gsxr's.

micron may have a range of exhausts for the older bikes, they also have street cans and race cans, and the street cans are also fairly quiet.

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts