Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Even better, get someone to measure the width or find it out some other way to get it so you can scale it properly.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Or better yet.........Have someone get me a full size pattern, or get all the dimensions, i will give it to the guy on the CAD in my shop and i can have them burned on the Lazer.....

could blowout about 100 in about 1/2 hr......

just a thought!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Damn, I used to have one of those...got gas on it and messed it up...threw it away
Hind site is always 20/20 though...
The one on ebay has had some holes cut in it and some of that shield has been removed..
And no way was it $73 new
!!!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Seems like a lot of money for a heat sheild.

Does anyone have one that they could trace onto a piece of paper for me? It would greatly simplify my fabrication of one for my bike.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Originally posted by z1bigtom:
Or better yet.........Have someone get me a full size pattern, or get all the dimensions, i will give it to the guy on the CAD in my shop and i can have them burned on the Lazer.....

just a thought!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's kind of what I was thinking about doing...I was only gonna ask for enough money to cover the materials and shipping. I don't need to make money off of doing things like this. But I'd let z1bigtom do it because I can only make them manually on a old mill.

Does that heat sheild mount between the engine and the carb boots? Or is it positioned after the boots and before the carbs????

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
the holes in the heat shield are just big enough for the round part of the manifolds to go through, so the heat shield is kind of sitting in the middle of them.

·
Super Moderator
17,291 Posts
Stupid question....
What exactly does it do..besides shield heat??
Any benefits??

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
It keeps the carbs cooler which will translate into cooler air entering the engine. The colder the air is, the denser it is. Therefore you can get more air into the cylinders, and if you have more air then you can add more fuel...so you get more power.

It probably won't make very much difference except when you're having heat problems like me. My gix only goes to the track and will end up running poorly when it gets hot, like after my third or fourth session on the track. I removed the stock air box that is seen in the sig pic, and now the bike runs fine even when hot. The extra room around the carbs is keeping them cooler.

So I don't know if this heat sheild is needed for standard street riding which probably doesn't make the engine as hot.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If there is enough interest in the project, i will take this further. As for the material, lets hear suggestions. I would need to know what type of metal u guys want to use......

Aluminum, carbon steel, S/S, etc....... Would also need to know what gauge material....

I will ask my friend to stay late on a saturday, and get this going. As soon as i know what material, and an amount of heatr shields, i can get a price.....

Remember the sheets come in 4' x 12' size. So thats alot of heat shields.

We would just have to pay for the material, and that would be at my cost from the company. I'm sure my buddy will do it for free for me...

Nice to have a Million dollar machine in the shop!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Originally posted by z1bigtom:

just a thought!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can't believe someone is willing to pay $70+ for a heat shield in such poor condition, and has the tail part hacked off.

What kind of material are you thinking of using to make the heat shield? Anyway, I have a Yoshimura heat shield that I'm willing to trace out and send a full scale drawing to you for you to make copied for the list members. Please contact via email to let me know your shipping address.

Yancy

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I'm up for one...I would suggest Al about 1/8" thick because of it's high specific heat. In other words it takes an enormous amount of enregy to make it change temperature. The steel will get hot easier. Al is also easy to polish if anyone wants it to look cool.

You could also put some of the sheilds up on ebay if there aren't enough people here to buy them all.

Thanks bro

·
Registered
249 Posts
If everyone agrees that .125 alum is what u want to use, i will at first get a price on material.

After the template arrives, i can then calculate how many can be made.

G

·
0 Posts
.125" Aluminum seems a bit excessive don't you think???? you really only need .0625" it will be much easier to work with at that thickness......

1 - 20 of 45 Posts