Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summer is just around the corner, even if it is in the 50's here today :dissapointed
So with that being said, be careful when you park your bike in a parking lot on a hot Summer day. Carry a kickstand puck, a flat rock, piece of wood or even a can lid to put under your kickstand. I have seen this happen to bikes and once saved a mans leg when his jack sank into the hot pavement and the car came crashing down. I have a small piece of plywood in my tank bag just so this doesn't happen.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pavement can get really soft in Summer. The very first August in 1976 when I had just moved to Texas, we went to an airshow and the roads on base were liquid like molasses. Coating the bottom of shoes burning your feet and coating car tires as you drove. The only question I had was "What kind of hell have you brought us to??!!"

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
^^^I had my '87 750 that was a few weeks old,sink its kickstand almost to the footpeg on a parking lot in the summer heat:crying

·
Super Moderator
14,990 Posts
Nothing like coming out and your bike is leaning at a 45 degree angle. If your shit aint already on the ground you gotta fight with the concrete/asphalt to stand it back up all while trying to NOT drop it back to the right side. :scared

·
2 > 4
371 Posts
+1

Bought my bike brand new and scared the :banana out of me when I walked outside to leave work one day and I see my bike leaning HARD. Kickstand sank right into the parking lot asphalt. Didn't tip over, thank gods, but sure looked like it was close.

Always carry a stand plate with me now in my "trunk."

side note: if you ever have to pull over on a crappy shoulder or park in the grass, this will save your day.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,859 Posts
You can also weld a wider plate onto the base of the stand.

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
I've never had that happen on pavement.

Finally, there had to be SOME benefit to living up here in the Great White North.

Mind you, it's a habit for me to search for a branch or rock when parking on grass, sand etc.... Back in the 80s my brand-new Ninja 1000 almost went over in on loose sand/gravel. Lesson-learned - never again.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
Sam, we are getting a possible 2 feet of snow tomorrow. What is this crazy talk of kick stands sinking into asphalt in mid-March??? :frantic

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was just about to rush off and order a puck, but seeing as it rarely gets above 25 degrees Celsius in the UK I'm not sure I'll bother. Suppose they're only a fiver...

·
Calamari
306 Posts
You can also weld a wider plate onto the base of the stand.
I did this on my old Kaw ZRX1100. I lived in Florida at the time and it can happen pretty easy. Side of the road or soft dirt can be a problem as well. I carried a flat 1/4" thick piece of plastic with me for about a month and then I forgot it and rode away one day. I decided to weld a 2" fender washer to the bottom of my kick stand and solved 2 problems at once, sinking and forgetting.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,859 Posts
I did this on my old Kaw ZRX1100. I lived in Florida at the time and it can happen pretty easy. Side of the road or soft dirt can be a problem as well. I carried a flat 1/4" thick piece of plastic with me for about a month and then I forgot it and rode away one day. I decided to weld a 2" fender washer to the bottom of my kick stand and solved 2 problems at once, sinking and forgetting.
It's also harder to steal if someone decides they're a jackass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts