·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Oct/061025r1testing.htm

Yamaha Men Comment on First R1 Superbike Test at Daytona

by dean adams
Wednesday, October 25, 2006

After a single chilly day of testing at Daytona International Speedway, both Yamaha Superbike riders seem enthused, excited and optimistic about the future of racing the 2007 R1 Superbike.
"It's like that line from that classic Seinfeld episode: They're real and they're spectacular!," Jason DiSalvo said last night. "The new R1 Superbike is amazing and awesome. I'm really looking forward to a good year."

"Actually, battling for the FX title probably didn't do us any favors in preparing a Superbike," Eric Bostrom explained. "The team had to just put on a Herculean effort to get us here with two decent bikes to test. These things were frames and parts not that many days ago. The team did a great job"

While both Yamaha men were guarded about details from the test—no lap times were mentioned—both seemed pleased with the R1 at this stage of development.

"The new R1 is like a mixture of the best of the 2006 R6 and R1s," said Eric Bostrom. "Meaning it has a lot of grip, is really forgiving and isn't really dependent on the rear shock so much in terms of finding a set-up. The new motor is really electric and has a beautiful power curve."
"These things are the real deal," DiSalvo reiterated.

ENDS

·
Registered
153 Posts
not a lot of people like those things but i think they can easily grow on someone that is in the market for a new bike.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
ClintB said:
I just hope suzuki takes it so i don't have to hear their crap. :D
tell me about it. a few of my friends have switched over to the darkside (Honda/Yamaha) and everytime ANYTHING happens with them or bad for Suzuki, they're like rabid monkeys in heat.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Yamaha might be in Superbike, but they don't have the talent to go out and take the series.

Yoshimura Suzuki is still fielding the #1 and #2 guys (DuHammel 3rd in the series some 130 points behind Mladin I might add, LOL) and now Tommy Hayden who finished 6th in the series. That is a strong team there.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I think yamaha is on its way back to where they were about 4 years ago. And think this years bike will turn some heads.. But i still think they will have a little more ways to come. They need to start forcusing more on performance than looks.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Markopolian said:
I think yamaha is on its way back to where they were about 4 years ago.
Where the hell was yamaha 4 years ago? No one even used the R1 and the R6 was a twitchy little bitch (albeit quite quick). R1's weren't racing yet (750's were still the superbike class) and the R7 was such a limited production bike that no one really had them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.