Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, my bike has been blowing the ignition fuse, all my lights work...except the bike shuts down after my fuse is blown....and almost wiped out leaving a gas station (using my left hand to adjust my sunglasses when the bike cut out) I replaced the ignition fuse 4 times...until I ran out, and pushed it back home! Good workout....but...

I got the tank open, took my front lowers off, and can't have searched for a short , or exposed wirings....all seems right.

Anyhow have this happen to their 96-99 GSXR? What problem area did you find the short....as I'm guessing that might be what I have..

Any help would be nice....

[ 05-10-2002, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Mr.Suzuki1216 ]

·
Registered
106 Posts
Check around the triple tree area just below the gauges. You may have a loose wire or a pinched wire that blows your ignition fuse when you turn the bars to end to end.

Outlaw

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for everyone's help....I *think* I found my problem, but I'm going to have to take my bike out again, and see if it cuts out again.

Tracing the wire from the lower tree...I found a loose plug, that seems to have a sensor that just barely rests over the front sprocket...its on the left side of the bike (if you're sitting on it), and the screw that holds it wasn't there anymore.

But...I don't know what it does...when I pulled it out, I can see the front sprocket...I think its a magnet, but when I did pull it out, bike still ran, and no fuse was blown. What does that do? Could this have been it? I popped in another fuse, and started my bike without fairings...and jiggled around every wire I could find (I had the gas tank partially lifted)...and no blown fuse.

Hopefully it was just that plug....but what does it do? I don't have a repair manual....its still on order at my dealer...anyone?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
254 Posts
I believe that plug has something to do with the speedo. When my friend changed his gearing, the aftermarket front sprocket had a type of washer that came off and wouldn't fit on the new one. Thus when he went riding no speedo or mileage tracked. Hope this helps.

Razor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts