Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took off the plastics to do an oil change and noticed that some pipes on the side of the engine are looped back into each other on both sides... What are these lines for? They connect under the header on the front side of the motor. Oh and I found out why the bike is down on power. The lower portion of this hacked up exhaust is Smashed down to about 1/2 inch. Yep, Cant get to the filter or drain plug without removing the entire system... Urrrrg... I need an exhaust...

Thanks guys

Clark

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey, I don't know if it will help, but I've got an old kerker full system (or is it a Vance and Hines?), which is yours for the shipping. I'll send you a photo if you want.

Anyway, perhaps you can use the headers to bolt up to the system you bought.

INTERNET THIEVES

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I've never seen that before (in person) but from looking in the `zook manual, it looks like that's your "air supply system" that was used on the `91 CA model (it's smog stuff) it looks like someone disabled the system, although a cleaner way to do it would be to blank off the fittings on the head (there are four of `em and they are right below your exhaust ports, right?) anyway, check these pics and tell me if that doesn't look like what it is?

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Smog tubes. They are part of the air injection system that all current bikes run to meet the somg restrictions of CA. The idea was to put fresh air into the head at the exaust port thinning out the CO2 levels. Yosh used to make Block off plates / Plugs to remove all that tubing.
Bones

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys.. Thats exactly what it is. Air tubes. I am going to take the tubes off and have my fabricator cut the tubes off at the plates and weld caps on. Prob cost me $20 and it will be cleaner. I am sure the Yosh parts are expensive.

Next question... Do I have CA cams? What else is different? This bike is not up to the power of my 90 1100 when it was stock... WOT in first with the low gearing and I dont even get an inch of front wheel lift

Thanks!

Clark

Originally posted by FastCat:
[QB]I've never seen that before (in person) but from looking in the `zook manual, it looks like that's your "air supply system" that was used on the `91 CA model (it's smog stuff) it looks like someone disabled the system, although a cleaner way to do it would be to blank off the fittings on the head (there are four of `em and they are right below your exhaust ports, right?) anyway, check these pics and tell me if that doesn't look like what it is?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would be greatful man.. I really would! This system that is on the bike is smashed down to about a half inch on the bottom and the lower section of the header tubes have dime sized holes rusted through.

Is the Exhaust made to fit the 89-92 bikes or will I have to custom fab some pipes? If it will fit I will take it in a heartbeat...

Send me a pic if you can!

Thanks!

Clark

Originally posted by dinoracer:
Hey, I don't know if it will help, but I've got an old kerker full system (or is it a Vance and Hines?), which is yours for the shipping. I'll send you a photo if you want.

Anyway, perhaps you can use the headers to bolt up to the system you bought.

INTERNET THIEVES
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
That exhaust is obviously whats causing you a power problem. Once you've thrown something thyat can breath on it'll be released to the full potential I'm sure.

With that crap I would give the bike a thorough service and check over if I were you. Neglect like that can be dangerous

Andy

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
The CA cams are different as far as I know
check Drag Bike for 49 state stockers
-Karl

·
Registered
195 Posts
What will be the effect if I disconnect these air-hoses? Will power be increased or what?

As I've got the AUSTRIAN model I am eager to know.

Thanks in advance!
Lemmy69 (the only Austrian on the board as far as I know)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts