Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, first oil change on this specific bike for me. I drained the old oil and swapped the oil filter. As per the service manual with filter change, I poured in exactly 2.5 liters of new oil (though the case cover lists 2200ml). Checked the sighting glass with cold oil – just barely above the minimum mark, OK fine. Warmed up the engine, then went for a quick ride around the block to build some more heat and distribute the oil. I put the bike on a rear paddock stand when I returned, and to my dismay discovered that the oil, now at operating temperature completely covered the sighting glass. I saw movement when rocking the bike, but that’s no good.

The service manual has failed me.

Time to suck some oil with a hose and syringe I guess...

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,912 Posts
2200mL is on a DRY engine. You never fully drain them. 2500 would be on a dry engine with a dry filter. 2200 is just the volume of the sump.

·
Registered
GSX-R750
152 Posts
Overfilled even after the initial running of the engine to circulate the new oil? I also usually drain my oil with the engine hot, so that it all flows out fast and easily, and any particles in the oil also more readily flow out from the oil pan.

TBH I never measure my oil out. I pour in the quarts that I am certain will fit first, and then just visually top off with the sight glass, and again after running the engine for a minute or so.

Having poured the oil in for a second too long probably isn't too much oil, but if you put in a significant fraction of a quart too much in, I would probably pull the drain plug for an instant and re-top off.

-Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
[/QUOTE]
I wondered if the oil level is correct, if checking when the bike is on a paddock stand...rather than with both wheels on the ground and the bike level.
This might be a source of error indeed.
However, I drained about 200ml and this is how it looks now after warming up and measuring at an engine temp of 90 degrees C.
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

The most obvious culprit might be residual oil as TheGeek suggested.
Edit: And it just dawned on me, I drained the bike while on paddock stand... That's just perfect noob mode right there. I bet more would've drained if it was on its sidestand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts