Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't gotten all the particulars yet on the year of the Busa however a Co-Worker of mine, who've I've been mercifully pestering about getting back on 2 wheels asked me today If I am still interested in sorting his Busa out that's been sitting since 2010.

Basically the bike was put away without any prep, not on stands, tank\gas not treated, just parked in a shed.

I know it's going to need new tires, I know its going to need all the regular maintenance items like Air and Oil Filter, Oil, Brake Fluid flush, New Brake Fluid and a Bleeding, Rad flush and new Antifreeze, along with pulling the exhaust and looking in it for critters. I'm also aware that a lot of the rubber components like rad hoses, brake lines, fuel lines, brake caliper piston seals and such will also need to be evaluated for dry rot and such.

I'm pretty comfortable working on just about anything and have turned my fair share of wrenches on many many bikes, with the advent of the internet and youtube wrenching has become even easier.

The big question I have is this: His bike is Carb'd and I am sure the Carbs have quite a bit of Shalack\Varnish in them due to being put away without any form of stabilizer or treatment. I'm also going to guess that any O-Rings and or Bowl Gaskets are probably iffy, especially when trying to pull them apart. Will the carbs need to be completely disassembled or can I soak the entire bank of them in some form of Carb Cleaner? I guess realistically I know that the Pilots and Mains will need to be taken out and cleaned yet what I'm worried about is "Syncing" the carbs once cleaned and put back on the bike?

I've never Sync'd a pair of carbs but am willing to buy the tool and learn how to do it. Or, could I just make a bunch of super detailed notes about mixture screw locations and settings, needle settings and the like and restore everything back to these settings once properly cleaned? Or would it be best if I instructed the owner to drop the carbs and bike off at a proper shop and have them do the Carb work?

Again, I'm not opposed to learning, and have rebuilt tons of 2 smoke carbs but haven't really dabbled with a bank of carbs and do not want to mess something up really badly.

So, whats the easiest way to clean the carbs? Whats the easiest way to Sync the carbs? Any good tutorials out there?

Also, any other tips and or suggestions I should be made aware of when working on, prepping the bike?

He also wants a Euro Tail and a Slightly fatter tire, any brands suggestions on how fat a tire a stock arm will take? and or good euro tail brands? Not my cup of tea but......

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Hold up. He has carbs on his Busa? Thats an all-out drag bike application,and a very expensive one at that.
Are you sure it has carbs???

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be fair I haven't even looked at the bike in depth, and am not familiar with the models\generations of Busa's so I was going with what another mutual friend stated who, judging from responses here, also doesn't know his ass from his elbow.

So, are all Busa's Fuel Injected?, Are you guys saying I don't have to worry about cleaning Mains, Pilots, Air Idle Adj Screws, shit like that and only need to worry about cleaning throttle bodies, butterflies and injectors?

Yeah, my ignorance on this is showing through, non the less I'd like to get the valued feedback from members here....So, this bike doesn't have Carbs? And if no carbs then I don't need to worry about Synching anything?

Whats the method for cleaning injectors? Is there a fuel filter on this bike, in-tank? Whats the preferred method and product in cleaning a tank?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
There are no carbs,its injected. Before going crazy making preparations of tearing shit apart: replace the battery and see if it starts. Ride it around the block and see if the injectors are ganked up,usually the secondaries get ganked.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
I agree with OG on this. Start it, run it, drive it (slowly in case there are issues) and replace what it needs. No need to arbitrarily just replacing items that may not need to be replaced. :cheers

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I was jumping the gun a bit.

More than likely I would have\will get the bike to my shop, take a good long look at everything, then proceed with caution on a Start Up and Drive.

What year Busa came in the Horrendous Corral\Salmon color combo? Normally I'm all about alternative color combos (Brown and Gold 96 SRAD) but this thing is hideous.

Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't gotten the bike to my shop yet. Pics to follow.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
What year Busa came in the Horrendous Corral\Salmon color combo? Normally I'm all about alternative color combos (Brown and Gold 96 SRAD) but this thing is hideous.

Thanks Guys.
None. Only thing that slightly resembles what your're describing is the original '99 copper/silver.
Is this a Gen1 or Gen2 Busa???

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
None. Only thing that slightly resembles what your're describing is the original '99 copper/silver.
Is this a Gen1 or Gen2 Busa???
Thats the one....

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Then you have a very rare Busa indeed.:thumbup

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seriously?

I believe its very low mileage.

No mods what-so-ever.

Has sat in a shed since 2007-2008.

Besides the color and year, whats rare about it other than 1st Gen?

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Its rare cause its ugly as fuck and people bought more of the black/silver '99 instead lol. I haven't seen a copper '99 in person or for sale in ages. It's also rare to find any Gen1 Busa('99-'07) that's completely stock.

The original '99-'00 Busa's were unrestricted,and have a 220mph speedo. The other years stopped at 180mph.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can see myself purchasing this bike for a song....

He's also got a ZX-12 that's sat for even longer. I think he's only getting slightly interested in me rehabbing this bike so perhaps that he can sell it though he is all gung ho about riding again, all of a sudden?

Time will tell.

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,797 Posts
I get a rubbery one every time I hear of an older barn-find bike that's low miles and completely unmolested, even if it's not a bike I'd ordinarily drool at.

A gen 1 busa, all stock? Imma rub one out now... excuse me.

As for the colors, personally I'd wrap it awesome looking and leave the OEM paint underneath to be preserved / protected.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, looks like I was off on the year and color, guess my memory was hazy not seeing the bike for like 7-8 years in which time it has been sitting in a shed.

Haven't even cycled the Key as Im not sure I want the FP to prime with the old gas in it so I haven't looked at the ODO yet, was told it is very low.

So, all fluids being changed, exhaust change, brake pads, undertail, fender eliminator, chain and sprockets, LitIon Battery, Tires and a good cleaning. Air Filter looked brand new, Stock, LOL.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts