Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
That’s Mister Chalet to you ....
8,897 Posts
OH MY GOD!!!! It's a miracle that bike hasn't disintegrated into a smoking pile of parts on the floor!

Seriously, what is it about those welds that doesn't look right to you? That's what mass production robotic welding looks like. It's the same on all of our bikes and we're all still alive.

If you have a chance to buy a K5-6 1K in decent shape and running condition, do your usual due-diligence, then make sure that the frame brace and master cylinder recalls have been done. These are arguably 'the best' 1000s Suzuki made. 366 lbs, 180 hp, no cat, no nannies.... just a slipper clutch. Not to be passed-up.

·
Registered
751 Posts
10-4 ban-um lol

but while we are on the subject, always wondered why suzuki chose to weld the top brace like this on K5/6.. is it two halfs welded together? why is it constructed this way ? Cost?

Not even earlier model top brace looked this cobby and a year later swingarm hydro-formed but much heavier...weird

Attachments

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,730 Posts
^For throttle body removal. One plug on each side, but only on the outside of the rail.

Gixan, you seem to know something that I don't. Does "a year later swingarm hydro-formed but much heavier" refer to K5/K6 or to K7? I've seen a statement that the K7 swingarm was made of three cast pieces and was 200 gm. lighter.

·
Registered
509 Posts
10-4 ban-um lol

but while we are on the subject, always wondered why suzuki chose to weld the top brace like this on K5/6.. is it two halfs welded together? why is it constructed this way ? Cost?

Not even earlier model top brace looked this cobby and a year later swingarm hydro-formed but much heavier...weird

It's made up of 3 separate casting, and 2 separate stamping for a total of 5 pieces all welded together, making it lighter with precisely calculated rigidity, see below...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ok whatever ban me but..... it is not lighter than k1-4 arm.

That information I posted above is from an Original Suzuki OEM Sales Brochure... What is there to dispute...

Are you saying Suzuki OEM don't know what their talking about... that's just Totally Moronic......

How many swing arms have you designed by the way... ZERO !!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts