Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
use a wire or metal brush to clean my chain? There seems to be little rust on the chain and I would like to see if i can scrub it off with some degreaser and muscle work. Would this damage the chain alot in doing so?

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
You Definitely could damage the chain. the sealing rings of the chain (X or O-ring) can be damaged by using a wire brush. They can also be damaged by degreaser.

Most people use kerosene to clean the chain. I use a water based chain cleaner called ecoline and a toothbrush. Then I keep it waxed all the time.

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
I don't see a scotch brite pad doing it any harm though. I've used a brass brush to hit the outside plates of my chain when they were looking a little rusty after some heavy rainstorms down here. But the scotch brite should definitely be OK.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Taz did i read this right? you wax your chain?
can you tell me more about this? whats it do for the chain that the chain gaurd dont do, and where do you get ecoline. sorry for the bombing of questions.

Chris

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Taz did i read this right? you wax your chain?
can you tell me more about this? whats it do for the chain that the chain gaurd dont do, and where do you get ecoline. sorry for the bombing of questions.

Chris
I buy ecoline at my local dealership. There are other brands of water based chain cleaner as well. S100 is one.

Chain wax, not car wax which you purchase at your dealership or on line Spectro, Maxima, or other

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
thanks guys for the info. does the chain wax do the same for the chain that wax does for a car?

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
thanks guys for the info. does the chain wax do the same for the chain that wax does for a car?
No... It lubes the chain so it rolls easier, doesn't rust and lasts longer. A chain that doesn't get lubed won't last very long. And the chain wax is much more durable than oil - the oil gets flung off pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Yah, i know that first hand. ill be getting chain wax now, thanks SVS.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
A tip with wax - lube the chain right after riding (while the chain is warm, wax seeps in better) and then let it cool at least 15 minutes before riding again

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
A tip with wax - lube the chain right after riding (while the chain is warm, wax seeps in better) and then let it cool at least 15 minutes before riding again
I sometimes heat the chain up with a hair dryer, wax, wipe the excess off, then let it set overnight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts