1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
Cool stuff!

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,860 Posts
The Tesla is a 10.5 @ 125mph second car???? Time to start hugging trees, methinks.
Also pulls better 60' than a lot of race cars with some good street tires.

·
IM THE BRONZE
1,336 Posts
Costs a fortune to purchase
Electricity charge isn't cheap
Dependability is not good
Prone to catching fire

Whats not to love. :grin2:

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,745 Posts
Costs a fortune to purchase
Electricity charge isn't cheap
Dependability is not good
Prone to catching fire

Whats not to love. :grin2:
That's the one that worries me and is why I can't believe that lithium ion is being ramped-up for massive-scale mass production. In a little fender bender, it's not that big of a risk but in a serious collision... have y'all seen the chain reaction that happens when one is crushed, punctured or exposed to fire?

This is a puny little CR2032 watch battery (Wait for the second 'experiment').

And this is ONE 18650 lithium ion cell.

There are almost SIX THOUSAND 18650s in the floor of the Tesla model S 70D :eek:hmy

If one of those 6000 cells catches fire, that'll be one helluva chain reaction. You'll be extra fucking crispy, that's for sure.

·
3,860 Posts
That's the one that worries me and is why I can't believe that lithium ion is being ramped-up for massive-scale mass production. In a little fender bender, it's not that big of a risk but in a serious collision... have y'all seen the chain reaction that happens when one is crushed, punctured or exposed to fire?

There are almost SIX THOUSAND 18650s in the floor of the Tesla model S 70D :eek:hmy

If one of those 6000 cells catches fire, that'll be one helluva chain reaction. You'll be extra fucking crispy, that's for sure.

A bit ironic coming from people that sit with a 4-5 gallon container of flammable liquid between their legs, separated only by a few millimeters of metal.

·
3,860 Posts
Yea, but they don't spontaneously combust. :grin2:
Neither do batteries. You need to excessively exacerbate them in order for that to occur, which is the same thing you need to do to a motorcycle or car to get it to do this.

Hell, I remember when the 2004 GTO came out and the fuel rail cover actually rubbed the fuel line going into the fuel rails, and it actually resulted in multiple GTOs burning to the ground. This is also the reason that you see the braided steel fuel lines in the newer Corvettes and other LS-based models.

·
7,745 Posts
Neither do batteries. You need to excessively exacerbate them in order for that to occur
It just requires enough of a 'trauma' so that the +ve and -ve inside one of the cells comes into contact with each other. Then they short-out release GOBS of energy and that's it - like wildfire on game of thrones.

I hate to be likely the first asshole to say this but sooner or later, it'll become a known fact that ONE single bullet fired anywhere in the floor of a tesla and you'll fuck-up at least one of those 18650 cells. And once that's happened.....

Hell, I remember when the 2004 GTO came out and....
How many of us are old enough to remember exploding Pintos & Bobcats :lol My family had a Bobcat when I was a little shit. Never blew-up.

·
Administrator
13,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As much as the tesla is bagged for having no soul ... and I would agree , the instant torque of electric is unbelievable!!!!

Factoring the weight difference too ...

I just can't get excited about them , Iv driven a few , also the fit and finish is well short of the euro stuff.

·
Rectum Rupticus
9,918 Posts
I'd still take the ZL1 1LE or the GrandSport over any of the other cars . Love the Camaro and the Vette's.

·
7,745 Posts
I'd still take the ZL1 1LE or the GrandSport over any of the other cars . Love the Camaro and the Vette's.
And I still have a rubbery one over my buddy's CTS-V (Caddy with the Z06's SC 6.2 LS motor). When he stomps the gas, anyone in the vicinity runs for their life. It's a beast.

The Tesla? Imagine stomping the 'gas' and accelerating that furiously.... with no sound? I'm intrigued but our generation will have difficulty making that transition.

And as our vegemite-eating friend pointed out. They're a looooong way from being up to snuff for fit & finish.

But still, I'm in awe of Elon Musk.

·
----------------
1,761 Posts
The Tesla? Imagine stomping the 'gas' and accelerating that furiously.... with no sound? I'm intrigued but our generation will have difficulty making that transition.
That's one of my hang ups with electric cars and motorcycles, besides the distance limitation between charges. The sound of an ICE adds to the enjoyment/experience.

I saw a video of an electric superbike (at Pikes Peak I think) and they put an annoying ass beeping alarm on it so people could hear it coming.

·
7,745 Posts
I saw a video of an electric superbike (at Pikes Peak I think) and they put an annoying ass beeping alarm on it so people could hear it coming.
Yep, I recall that video and all the lame / gay comments it garnered from forum members... even though the bike was hauling ass.

Think of this site alone and how so many riders drop money on exhausts purely for sound / volume.

I love the idea of a belt-drive electric enduro bike. SILENTLY trail-cruising would be something else. I grew up riding horses on the trails. This would be like that almost, except smoother & faster.

And if you fall off your bike, it'll never decide to run home without you :cursing

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Harley made a prototype electric motorcycle. Called Project livwire and they gave it sound. It sounds like one of those floating cars from the Jetsosns. I dont like it. lol

·
----------------
1,761 Posts
I love the idea of a belt-drive electric enduro bike. SILENTLY trail-cruising would be something else. I grew up riding horses on the trails. This would be like that almost, except smoother & faster.

And if you fall off your bike, it'll never decide to run home without you :cursing
That would be pretty cool, I used to do a lot of trail riding and where we rode wasn't technically legal in all areas so a quiet ride would be of benefit.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts

https://jalopnik.com/watch-volunteer-firefighters-in-austria-extinguish-a-fi-1819665352

·
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2,058 Posts
been playing with lithium polymer batteries for at least 12-15years now
way more unstable and i have put a plane into the ground at 300kmh without them catching fire.
infact the only reason i had a pack go up was because we wanted it to and put a nail through it.

id be more worried about earthing through the body, 600v, fuuuuuuuck noooo lol

100% comfortable in buying an electric car though, built by good manufactures, such as bmw or mercedes, volvo etc
tesla is semi decent but agree with lucas, fit n finish is sub par.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts