Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talkin to this trainer dude and he was saying best time to do cardio is first thing in the morning, then wait bout 10 min and then lift weights.

So I tried this the past few days, I go to the gym, no food, no protein shake, nothing. I hit the treadmill for 20 min. Then I go to my car, hit up some no xplode, wait about 15 min, then hit the weights.

Couple issues I have so far is I dont have the strength I normally do, I'm thinkin cuz I havent eaten anything in like 13 hours. Also I get light headed quicker than usual.

Anyone else work out 1st thing in the morning? What do you do different?

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
Your body needs fuel. You're not providing it. :shifty

I typically don't go to the gym without having eaten something decent an hour or so before.

I usually workout in the evenings but sometimes I hit the gym in before work. If I'm going to do only cardio I may go on an empty stomach but if I'm going to lift I HAVE TO have food in me. I'll set my alarm for an hour before I'm going to leave and get up and have a bowl of cereal or a PB&J or something. I absolutely CANNOT lift on an empty stomach...​

·
Registered
949 Posts
cardio in the morning, 1st thing for weight loss,, weights in the evening..
+1. Im with Freddie on this one. The cardio thing in the moring is great. However I wouldnt try to lift afterwards. Eat your meals during the day (im assuming your eating properly) and lift in the evenings. Proper nutrition in conjunction with a good workout plan will go alot further for you than the NOxplode will ever take you.

·
Banned
12,040 Posts
Mens health has an article about this topic this month... I'll dig it up when I get home...

They say it doesn't matter...

·
Registered
732 Posts
The morning thing is for fat conversion. You are more likely to have your body in a keytonic state and therefore will start to convert lipids to energy sooner.

As for lifting, I totally agree that you need to eat something. Either an hour before you work out, or if you want to take an NO supp then take it 45 mins before on an empty stomach and then eat some protien and carbs 15 mins before the workout. Not much but just enough so you won't feel hungry till you're done. This is what I do and it makes a difference!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I frequent a pretty good site with some great info and forums that deal with this (He has good excel docs of eating and working out cardio as well). These guys do alot of "cutting", and "bulking" stages and testing of what works and doesn't for each. May help. :cheers

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/

·
Registered
583 Posts
To answer your question we have to know what you are trying to accomplish? Are you trying to add mass? Are you trying to get lean? You have to decide on one or the other as your priority. It sounds like you may be working too hard first thing in the morning. If you are going to do both so close together eat some oatmeal when you wake up. Next, do your weight training before your cardio, unless you are just doing a warm-up cardio.

The routine I use is a three day split. Day one: chest & triceps, day two :back & shoulders, day three: legs & biceps. I dont touch a weight on day four. I also work my mid-section everyday. For cardio I play basketball 3-4 times a week. Most people neglect two very important factors, which are rest and diet. Anyway I hope that helps a little. Good luck.:cheers

·
Registered
583 Posts
^^^I forgot to mention that I work the first body part in the morning and the second after work. Three days on, fourth day is rest day.:cheers

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, thanks russ.. I'm tryin to add a little bit more size, and lean out. Is that even possible to do both?

Cardio after weights huh? Man this sucks, I hear so many different routines, and there doesnt seem to be one consistant one :p

My diet's ok. I was doin pretty good for a while, but then I started slackin, so my diet's good about 4-5 days a week. Once the weather starts gettin better, I'll go stricter on the diet :D

·
Banned
12,040 Posts
Mens health says that you SHOULD eat before a workout for energy that will allow you to workout harder....

They say that most of your fat burn is post workout and you are better having a great workout cause you will burn much more fat in the long term...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Leaning out while still packing on maximum size is next to impossible. Try putting on the size you want first, concentrate on more cardio later after the size is bigger that you want. Doing a lot of cardio then lifting starves the body of nutrients that you need to put on size. Remember that the more muscular you are the more calories you burn. Get big first then lean out a little. Remember to get plenty of rest, that is when you grow.

What bodybuilding principle are you using right now?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Cool, thanks russ.. I'm tryin to add a little bit more size, and lean out. Is that even possible to do both?

Cardio after weights huh? Man this sucks, I hear so many different routines, and there doesnt seem to be one consistant one :p

My diet's ok. I was doin pretty good for a while, but then I started slackin, so my diet's good about 4-5 days a week. Once the weather starts gettin better, I'll go stricter on the diet :D

It's possible to lean out AND add a little bit more size (Muscle), but what you eat is THE most important thing if that's what you're after. If you wait for the weather to get better to be stricter on your diet, it's not going to actually help you in this specific goal you're after.;)

Lean meats of all types, fruits and veggies (find out what types work best carbo wise).

Want a great workout that you don't have to go running or get on a bike in the cold?
Stand up sand filled punching bag.....

Man what an AWESOME workout this has been for me! Mix it up. Get yourself doing combo's on this thing for 30 secs, then drop and do 10 pushups, back up for 20 secs of jabbing, combo's etc, then 10 jumping jacks, back to it and do 30 secs of round house kicks and a couple of left hooks/right jabs/left body blows to the "ribs" and then drop and do 10 crunches, etc etc etc however you want to mix it up. Helps to throw in some metallica or disturbed or whatever music you like. What a great way to relieve stress and get an awesome workout that you set the pace to. Great for your "core" strength as well. I use this one. http://www.amazon.com/Century-Classic-Black-Wavemaster-Bag/dp/B00022KJ16/ref=pd_bbs_sr_9?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1198717509&sr=8-9

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool, thanks guys. I just wanna add a little more size, I'm almost where I wanna be. Probably another 3/4 inch on my arms and a little bit on my chest and I'll be good. At the same time, I was tryin to cut out some belly fat, which isnt too bad either.. you can see my abs if my back is bent a certain way and the light is juuust right. haha

Good idea success, I got one of those training bags, I'll have to bust it out and show it who's boss! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,214 Posts
I was talkin to this trainer dude and he was saying best time to do cardio is first thing in the morning, then wait bout 10 min and then lift weights.

So I tried this the past few days, I go to the gym, no food, no protein shake, nothing. I hit the treadmill for 20 min. Then I go to my car, hit up some no xplode, wait about 15 min, then hit the weights.

Couple issues I have so far is I dont have the strength I normally do, I'm thinkin cuz I havent eaten anything in like 13 hours. Also I get light headed quicker than usual.

Anyone else work out 1st thing in the morning? What do you do different?

I might be the odd man out here, but here goes.

A little on topic, and a little off topic too, but still in the general area!! :biggrin

I am a MORNING workout nut. I leave the house at 5 am, be at the gym 5:20am.. Do jumping jacks and stretching while waiting for them to open the door at 5:30 am sharp.

Almost knock everybody down getting inside the gym at 5:30 am. :biggrin BTW, the only thing I take before my morning workout is water. I drink water before, during and after workout. If the arthritis is not bugging me, I won't slow down until about 7 am to 7:30. My workouts average and hour and a half. Sometimes 2 hours, sometimes and hour. Usually at 7 am, I am headed toward the shower!!

Short rest between sets, that is, I be smokin from time I get in to the time I come out.

My energy is up there, pretty good for a 67 year nut case..

I will eat a good healthy breakfast afterwards.

I think the body adapts to whatever the person adheres to, as long as it is not breaking any rules of exericise.

Example, one rule of exericise is to give a couple hours after you eat a meal to exercise. Don't jump on me if I am wrong on that, because that is what I heard, and I am just the oppisite. I am a morning person, and if anything,I will eat a good evening meal the day before, that is where I get my energy from. I will eat nothing before I workout.

In the morning my stamina is strong. I start right off with some extreme ab exercises, and then move right to the weights. I will be doirng either legs, chest & shoulders, or back and arms, in that order. I do abs and toe raises everyday.

BTW, I workout 6 days a week. I include my so call rest-days in the 6-day stint too,becuase I go to the gym on rest days. My intepretation of a rest-day, is a day I don't hit the major body parts. Yesterday, I did my rest day, which consisted of 1 hour of extreme ab workouts, toe raises, and a 40 minute jaunt on the tread mill.

I stay motivated, and threads like this is pure motivation for me..

Here is part of my starting warm up, which consist of 25 reps of 12 o clock leg raises, that flow right into a set of 50 straight out leg raises, all done at a machine-gun-like-pace. I got some mean ab exercises too..:biggrin

http://users.erols.com/clbphoto/ext3.jpg

This looks like a show off move at the gym, but I am just doing my thing.:biggrin

Motivation is the key in the gym, and on the race track too..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
11 Participants
Htown1000
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing