Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woohoo! Another '84!

I've got the '84 750 Turbo for sporty riding and I also just bought a slightly more utilitarian '84 to commute on. I've always wanted a big thumper and this one meets my criteria. Original, clean and < 10K kms. There are piles of these old XLs for sale, all ratty looking with 40-55K kms but still running strong.

This will make for a very fun daily for in-town / going to the office.

EDIT: This will obviously never be a sumo but does anyone know if these things can be made to turn competently?

Attachments

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
That looks hella fun! When I’m done paying for all these attorney bills, I want to get an older enduro just like that, especially with all of the little trails I see around to explore.

I’ve honestly never ridden one so I’m not sure how they handle to begin with. What don’t you like about the handling?

·
7,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice! Looks super clean.

On a side note, you buy more shit than anyone I know. :lol
The CTS-V just sold and even though I made a bunch of money, I'm toy-jonesing big time. I loved that car :crying

So a couple of old 80s piles is at least a little soothing.

..... I’ve honestly never ridden one so I’m not sure how they handle to begin with. What don’t you like about the handling?
Neither have I. I imagine it rides like a 35 year old street & trail. IE crap. Maybe I'll just start with street tires and see how it feels.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,843 Posts
Re: Woohoo! Another '84!

I've got the '84 750 Turbo for sporty riding and I also just bought a slightly more utilitarian '84 to commute on. I've always wanted a big thumper and this one meets my criteria. Original, clean and < 10K kms. There are piles of these old XLs for sale, all ratty looking with 40-55K kms but still running strong.

This will make for a very fun daily for in-town / going to the office.

EDIT: This will obviously never be a sumo but does anyone know if these things can be made to turn competently?
Best way is sell it for something better or realize you have an old bike that will never be anything great, and just enjoy it for what it is. You're throwing money into the wind trying to make it better, because fixing one thing will just reveal another glaring deficiency. Ride it until you're bored, or until you get sick of your arms hurting from the vibrations, then sell it.

·
7,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, while I have never ridden an XL, the reason I've always wanted a big thumper stems from a buddy of mine back in the day who had a '79 I think Yamaha TT500.

The power delivery is like that of a tractor or steam engine lol.

I was used to my IT175 2 stroke at the time. My buddy instructed me to point at the big steep hill in front of me at almost idle and wait until I'm in the steep slope before twisting the gas. No matter how steep the slope, that thing would just GO. Insane low end grunt. Should make for fun commuting.

·
7,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Best way is sell it for something better or realize you have an old bike that will never be anything great, and just enjoy it for what it is. You're throwing money into the wind trying to make it better, because fixing one thing will just reveal another glaring deficiency. Ride it until you're bored, or until you get sick of your arms hurting from the vibrations, then sell it.
And to think I used to like you :flipoff

I killed myself laughing when the guy pushed play on his knee-mounted cassette walkman :lmao

·
7,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why did you sell the CTS? What are you going to post over and over now?

Duh... you guys are now gonna be stuck watching pics of 80s piles ad-nauseum :banana

·
7,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of course but the producers specifically making a point of catching the guy pushing play on a walkman is still hilarious :lol

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,843 Posts
And to think I used to like you :flipoff

I killed myself laughing when the guy pushed play on his knee-mounted cassette walkman :lmao
Lol. It's true: old bikes bring back nostalgia, but they certainly ride like shit. My poor friend did a Cafe conversion on an older 70s bike and couldn't even follow me on the highway above 75mph because it would shake, despite the wheels being true and the tires being balanced. :lmao

Just enjoy it for what it is, that's the best way to enjoy them.

·
Administrator
13,255 Posts
Another new toy !?

Look clean mate , I actually just bought another bike too ... but holding off posting till it’s parked in the collection;)

·
7,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That should be a fun beater bike. You didn't say why you got rid of the VEE.
I ordinarily would never buy a car like that. Too spendy. $2500 (CAD) for a set of tires, $700 for just front brake pads etc... etc... etc... I just don't have the stomach / wallet to own such things.

But when I noticed it waaaaaaay over in Vancouver within hours of it being posted, it was a good $10K under market value. So I bought it, had it shipped and had a blast for a year in it. In the end, I got a free fancy car for a year and my only operating costs were two oil changes and a fuse.

Also, the profit I made in selling paid for these two most recent acquisitions. Free car, free old piles... what's not to like?

EDIT: it's just like my K6. I paid $10K for that and the garage sale of all the fancy bits & pieces (especially the BSTs) yielded $6800 so I have a mint all original K6 with 2600 kms on the clock for $3200 CAD. I always buy when I think it's a great deal. I have 3 cool bikes and I'm out under $5K for the lot... plus included in that $5K, I got to drive my dream car for a year.

Fuckin tease you :hammer
I concur. Just as with the Turbo, the pics above are from the FS ad and also as with the Turbo, there will be follow-up pics when I drive out to pick it up on Saturday.

·
7,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another new toy !?

Look clean mate , I actually just bought another bike too ... but holding off posting till it’s parked in the collection;)

I might learn a thing or two from you. The guy just contacted me and cancelled. :wtf
I called and he kept making up different reasons of why maybe he'll have more time in a week or two. Meanwhile last night we planned around his work schedule for a quick in & out Saturday 10:30-11:00 AM pickup.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
About this Discussion
70 Replies
11 Participants
8you4t
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing