Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2001 gsxr 1000
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new here having bike issues. So i bought a 01 gsxr from a guy had some mods wouldnt start when i bought it but started got home(35 min ride) no problem. So start with buying new battery and rebuilding the fuel pump same thing rode for 30 minutes dead, friends suggest stator and rectifier possibly. So today 9/18/22 we install the new rectifier and stator, bike starts up after 2-3 tries and runs for maybe 5 minutes then shuts off. Now it wont start back up but we ruled out stator or rectifier as battery has not died while trying to start bike up as it did before i installed a new stator and rectifier.

· Registered
3,594 Posts
Why did you think the stator and rec we're bad? That's a fairly expensive guess and one that everyone seems to do these days without actually checking the old ones out first.
What was wrong with it when you bought it that enabled you to get it started and ridden home?

What voltage is your battery at?
Have you checked spark?
Do you have a power commander?

· Registered
2001 gsxr 1000
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to answer ur response about the bike needed a jump start when i bought it made it home even charged battery for a full day didnt start, so started just with a new battery as previous owner said its all it needs, did that and it still wouldnt start, so minor stuff started to rebuild fuel pump, worked fire right up, next day drove 30 minutes complete shut off now power what so ever, a cycyle shop employee came out was gonna test it but bike was dead so figured since i bought the battery there check stator next, even my friend who came to tow me said same thing. Recharged battery got new stator and recitifier pops on but then cuts off after 5 minutes
Why did you think the stator and rec we're bad? That's a fairly expensive guess and one that everyone seems to do these days without actually checking the old ones out first.
What was wrong with it when you bought it that enabled you to get it started and ridden home?

What voltage is your battery at?
Have you checked spark?
Do you have a power commander?

· Registered
2001 gsxr 1000
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update! Today we cleaned out the injectors bought new spark plugs and it fired up, oh i forgot it has a yoshimura engine tuning not a power commander but same difference.

so today it started a few times with the battery on the charger battery off the charger i even rode it up and down my street for 5 minutes. I was anle to get it started abour 4 times without a charger or jump but then it wouldnt start so im recharging the battery

· Registered
3,594 Posts
Those yosh boxes are known to go bad at an alarming rate. That is the first thing I would have pulled off to check.
What was the battery voltage before you started charging it the last time?
It's odd that you say the battery is fine and charging yet you always seem to be buying new ones or charging them.

· Registered
2001 gsxr 1000
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive only bought one battery since getting the bike
Old battery it came wit was off charging i tried it today while new one was recharging did absolutely nothing. Poped the brand new battery back in starts up after a few trys.

Those yosh boxes are known to go bad at an alarming rate. That is the first thing I would have pulled off to check.
What was the battery voltage before you started charging it the last time?
It's odd that you say the battery is fine and charging yet you always seem to be buying new one

· Registered
2001 gsxr 1000
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So i got it to run, does this randomly hut i just put in nw fuel injectors and coils and its still hesitant to kick over and start up…yesterday i drove for about hour then it wouldnt kick over after turning off luckily a friend was near by for a tow. Do you guys thinks its the starter at this point?

· Registered
3,594 Posts
Check for voltage at the relay then the starter when you hit the start button.

· You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
11,126 Posts
There's a wiring diagram of the starting system on 7-10 of the service manual. With it and a voltmeter, it should be easy to track down whether the starter motor is getting power or where else is the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts