Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May sound stupid but does anyone besides me get nervous that ur engine is runnin to hot...just a thought

·
The other OG
6,334 Posts
you know when your car smells hot- when my 88 was running slightly lean it would have the same smell after i give it to it,when i richened it up -no more hot smell

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
:nono I know where u r comeing from:chuckscheck the smell of filler plug,if thats not a burnt smell,all is cool:punkall so oile glass,if thats cleer,she is fine:shifty Relax,Cheers Peter:cheersRTE38:chucks

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
May sound stupid but does anyone besides me get nervous that ur engine is runnin to hot...just a thought
Wow, you're in Illinois and worried about engine temp in December.

Avoid riding any aircooled bike on hot days and run slightly rich. Change oil often.
A OEM stock bike is slightly lean for emissions reasons. Anybody with a stock bike would benefit from a jetting change.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, you're in Illinois and worried about engine temp in December.

Avoid riding any aircooled bike on hot days and run slightly rich. Change oil often.
A OEM stock bike is slightly lean for emissions reasons. Anybody with a stock bike would benefit from a jetting change.
Umm so ur sayin just because its winter here my motor wont overheat:spit

:nono I know where u r comeing from:chuckscheck the smell of filler plug,if thats not a burnt smell,all is cool:punkall so oile glass,if thats cleer,she is fine:shifty Relax,Cheers Peter:cheersRTE38:chucks
Ok so the previous owner had her sittin for well over a year, i had to add about 2qts to top her off, when i started it up and let it idle a few i noticed that the oil was sorta dark through the window, i assume this is normal b/c of the old oil right? Prob just needs a complete oil change

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Well I was just razzin ya.
But ya, I will say a properly running sacs engine, with proper oil level, is not going to overheat in Illinois in December.
Oh thats only if its ridden, you may be able to overheat heat it running it in your garage:cheers

·
Registered
537 Posts
Buy a oil temp guage and stop wondering what it is at.

A few years ago I kept trying to find a yosh guage but finally gave up. Settled on this unit; works great. I have a 750 pan on my 1340 so I use a factory machining block off on the front of the pan so that I can keep the magnetic drain plug in to catch any ferrous metal.

John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts

Ok so the previous owner had her sittin for well over a year, i had to add about 2qts to top her off, when i started it up and let it idle a few i noticed that the oil was sorta dark through the window, i assume this is normal b/c of the old oil right? Prob just needs a complete oil change
:chucksOk oil will expire,thats normal
U asked if bike running to hot,ok if it was,the 2 things i look at R 1 smell filler plug,if a burnt smell,not good 2 when u center the bike to check oil where u have clear view of oil glass,the glass above corect hight should b cleer,as in no darkness or darking of glass,U savy ?ill atach a photo of mine Cheers Peter:cheersRTE38:burnout

Attachments

·
Premium Member
52 Posts

A few years ago I kept trying to find a yosh guage but finally gave up. Settled on this unit; works great. I have a 750 pan on my 1340 so I use a factory machining block off on the front of the pan so that I can keep the magnetic drain plug in to catch any ferrous metal.

John
Can you post a picture of the pan?

·
Save water, ride an oiler
341 Posts
What he said, get an oil temp gauge. I've got an old school yoshi one, and they are available on yahoo japan, as well as newer ones with multi function. Just cut the Japanese (katana) characters for Yoshimura and search on that.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

John
Is that the normal operating temp on ur meter?? I see it looks like ur movin so maybe its a little cooler than norm, whats a safe operating temp?

·
Registered
537 Posts
In cool weather going down the road it runs 160-175 deg. F. In Stop and go 200-210 deg. F and climbing until it is shut off. They don't do well in stop and go traffic. But nothing without a fan will.

John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
It's normal for wet clutch bikes to get dark and somewhat murky oil because the dust from the clutch mixes with the oil. My 85's oil darkens up pretty quick but my 86 LTD has a dry clutch and the oil always looks nice and new.... Even when I first got it and it hadn't been run in about 10 years. The old oil looked like it was new.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts