Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I think this my first thread...

Your experience and opinions please guys. I bought a Wiseco piston set (771cc), I may buy a Stage 1 cam (same price as a standard refurb), I have a Micron exhaust, I have VM29SS carbs with standard jetting (97.5 mains).

What would you guys suggest:
1. Standard carbs and airbox just bigger mains (110s??)
2. K&N Filters with bigger mains
3. 36mm carbs and K&N filters

At the moment this slabbie is becoming a money-pit so I'm keen to keep costs low, but trade-off.

Any wisdom most gratefully received!

Nick

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,678 Posts
Is it a street bike or a track day / race bike?
Although there is potential for higher hp with the 36mm carbs and individual filters, that set up would need to compliment high compression pistons, ported head, cams etc.
You lose your mid range on a mild street bike, when you ditch the air box, you don't have much torque to spare. It takes some time, money and patience to dial in the tune again.
So I would just run the stock carbs and box, jet it as required and enjoy it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's primarily a street bike to start with, but I have plans to go Classic Endurance racing.
Wiseco big bore is higher compression, and cams will be Stage 1 (nothing radical for street or endurance).
My interest was with the Stage 1 cams, higher compression and slightly bigger displacement, the standard airbox and carbs may stifle any benefits. I'd experiment a lot more if the darn airbox was easier to get in and out....! Does dropping the complete engine onto the lower frame rails
(carbs and alternator off)
allow enough wriggle room?

·
Premium Member
4,461 Posts
if you are going to race, then i'd run 36mm flatslides with k&n air filters. will make nice gains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts