Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,

wanting to wire in another circuit for a 12v charging plug to sit under the seat area.

the harness n circuits are pretty compact on the bikes so wondering what circuit to piggyback off? Obviously i want it to be from the area around the ECU area/tail area.

Anybody done this before and have any suggestions the easiest and reliable place to take the power from that turns on when the ignition of the bike is turned on?

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,859 Posts
If you're not using it all the time, you could just wire it directly to the battery. Otherwise, you can just hook it up to the battery and wire in a relay that uses the brake light or license plate light as the trigger.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah not a fan of direct wiring to the battery. Also if i forget to switch off the unit and its drawing its a flat battery. and it will happen...

was after something that is just on whenever the bike is running (accessories system in a car).
fuses/circuits that are visible are hi beam, lo beam, fuel pump, ignition, signals.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,708 Posts
The dealer mode connector has a ground and an O/W lead that is only hot when the bike is on. It's slightly different on an immobilizer bike, maybe O/G. The external alarm connector is another to consider on an immobilizer bike.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,859 Posts
yeah not a fan of direct wiring to the battery. Also if i forget to switch off the unit and its drawing its a flat battery. and it will happen...

was after something that is just on whenever the bike is running (accessories system in a car).
fuses/circuits that are visible are hi beam, lo beam, fuel pump, ignition, signals.
Wiring to the battery is the safest thing. If you fear leaving it on, that is why the second part of my post specifically mentions using relay. That would mean that you have dedicated wiring that is only on when you switch on the ignition, but you have no fear of melting wires in the wire harness itself.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright. ill have another think about that one too then

cheers again for the help peeps.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,708 Posts
When I originally read the lead post, I thought that he's wanted to hook up a charger or something that provided power to the bike. In that case a battery connection is the way to go. But I then realized that he wants to draw power from the bike. In that case there are considerations like how much. The O/G and O/W leads are fuse protected so there's minimal risk of melting wires. But the fuses might start blowing depending on how much additional load is being added and the OP was vague about just what he's up to. If necessary, you can increase the fuse size by 5 amps with minimal risk. But you need to be careful and it's best not to do so. Another consideration is that the charging system is sized for the bike as delivered with some, but not a lot of, additional capacity. Significant additional load can lead to stator and/or rectifier/regulator problems, which are well known here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts