Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it neccessary to winterize your bike?? i own a 2002 750, i live in NY and i keep my bike garaged.it gets cold in the winter, but not too bad.....What i have been doing is warming it up for about 10-20 minutes and then taking it out for about 5 or 10 miles..........is that good??
someone told me that doing that can be bad because it doesnt give enought time for the moisture to evaporate. so is it better to leave it alone, do it the way i hae been doing it or just winterize the damn thing, and what exactly do i need to do

·
Registered
211 Posts
Put a small electric space heater in your garage.
Actually, I start mine every week and let it warm up to temp, and then take it out for a mile or 2 if I can. Probably good to get it up on a stand at least. If it's going to sit for a while. As for fluids, I don't do anything.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Yes,starting your bike and taking it for a small spin does let condensation accumulate inside the cases.That could lead to corrosion internally.I'm kinda upstate,and it gets pretty cold up here too.What I have been doing to my bikes since '86 is to:
-do and oil/filter change
-remove sparkplugs and put a touch of oil in the cylinders and crank over a few times
-top off gas tank and add Stabil
-remove battery and bring it inside the house
-put cardboard under the tires if you dont have a stand to elevate both wheels off the ground
-wax painted surfaces and then cover bike with a nice and warm blanket.
-start that fucker right up in the spring and ride away with NO problems.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I go with oldgixxer too, if your gonna leave it over the winter LEAVE IT!!
You can do far more damage if you start it up to warm it up and just turn it off and leave it.
I would get your self an Optimate and as oldgixxer says take the battery inside on a trickle charge and try and keep the tyres off the ground, if you don't have a paddock stand, move the bike so it isn't resting on the same bit of tyre each week to prevent flat spots.
Then, in the spring your bike will emerge kike a butterfly from your garage all healthy and refreshed!!
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Just wanted to back what the last two guys said.
Park in the fall and don't start it until spring.
I do pretty much the same routine as Oldgixxer. The only other thing I do is turn the motor over by hand every couple weeks to give the valve springs a break. In the spring I crank the motor a few times with fuel pump disconnected to get the oil pressure up before running.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for all your input!!!!
im gonna do everything you guys stated right away!!!its too cold now to even take it out for a couple of miles. i hope eveything goes well come spring......what about antifreeze....does anyone do anything with that, drain it? fill it all way?? or just leave it??

[ 01-29-2003, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: NYGiXxErPiLoT ]

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
If it's a brandy new bike,which I think it is,don't mess with the anti-freeze.just make sure it's topped off.If it were an older bike then I would suggest checking the specific gravity of the anti-freeze before assuming all is well and tucking it away for the winter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts