Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so before i start this off, yes i know and i have heard that you should change your oil BEFORE you let your bike sit from november-march. old used oil is acidic and is bad to sit in your motor blah blah.

just a simple question i did not change the oil and have not been riding the bike since november :banghead !so! should i wait until spring when its a little warmer to start up the bike and do an oil change? or should i just do it now and then be good to go in the spring? i just dont like the idea of starting my bike when its about 20-30 degrees during the day and about 10 at night:dunno

the bike got its last oil change at about 6000 miles (late august) with regular dino juce. it has about 9500 on it now and i was going to switch to mobil 1 4t.

any opinions / bashing is appreciated. thats right i said it.

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
How long do you think before your riding season will begin?

Me, personally, i would go for a ride to let everything get up to temp, then change it....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will probably begin riding again in early march...
i planned on letting it warm up to proper temp (200-220ish) and take it for a short ride around the block (not bringing the RPMs too high), then change the oil.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Starting the bike up once to warm up the oil is fine. What people speak of is the guys that start there bike up daily or weekly throughout the winter. Let your bike warm up, bring it to operating temp and I would even let it run for a while to burn off any condensation.

Shut it off, change the oil/filter, do not start it again. Also if you did not already, put stabil ethanol treatment in your tank. If your tanks not full, fill it, then treat it.

If it was me I would buy two gallons of regular suzuki 4-cycle oil and fill the sump to the filler cap. Not only will it keep condensation out but it will keep your clutch basket/plates saturated in oil.

March is still 2 months away.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
i will probably begin riding again in early march...
i planned on letting it warm up to proper temp (200-220ish) and take it for a short ride around the block (not bringing the RPMs too high), then change the oil.

Sounds like a good plan. Change the oil and filter, get some good stabilizer in the tank, lube up the chain, wash and dry (or spray polish wipedown) and you're good to go once it warms up to start making miles. :cheers

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you use a oil with a group V base, you don't have to do anything.

For the winter only, you should be OK, but if the bike will be down for 6 months or more, I would run a base V oil up to temperature prior to storage.

(Base V, the molecules electrostatically stick to the metal parts, meaning the oil film remains)

·
Banned
10,466 Posts
^ lol

and who the hell stores their bike starting in November? oh..well you are up there in BFE.

here are some steps:
1. drain oil
2. fill oil all the way to the top of the crank case (site glass on the clutch cover) if you have no intention of starting the bike once (keeps moisture/condesation out)
3. park bike on stands
4. hook up trickle charger or remove battery and place it somewhere warm/safe
WINTER begins

WINTER ends
5. drail oil
6. fill correctly
7. install battery if you took it out
8. ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts