Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, ive got a little wish list going for all of the things i wanna get for the bike over winter. I tallied everything up and came up to around $800, i was wondering if anyone has any better advice on where to buy parts. Mainly ive been using the sites supporters, like motosport.com, kneedraggers, etc. What im looking forward to getting is...

-BMC Filter - $90
-PCIII USB - $300
-Vortex Frame Sliders (heard theyre easy to install? but have to put a support under the motor?) - $70
-Pirelli Diablo Corsa III rubber (better than the strada?) - $300
-Flush mount blinkers (really interested in the hotbodies, but dont look visable at all) - $50

Im also going to have to get new pads, i think im gunna have the local shop do that. All together im probably looking at over $1000. Motosport has a deal going on where if you spend $300, you get a $40 discount coupon...was thinking i could split my order and save money somewhere? Id really like to spend my money where its going to count most. brakes and tires are a must, both are just about gone on my bike.

·
Lets go racing!
7,568 Posts
For brake pads, I'm suggesting vesrah rjl pads. I bought mines from kurveygirl.com. Well worth the money. A lot of bite in these pads. Don't forget the stainless steel brake lines. U can do the lines and pads yourself, not very difficult.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Forget the BMC filter and just put an OEM one in if its dirty and needs replaing. The OEM flows plenty of air and costs 1/3 the price. Unless you have a full exhaust I wouldn't bother with the PC3. You have a 600, it's not going to make for a monumental increase in power. If you want some more pep and pickup, get a new chain kit with -1/+2 gearing. It will make the bike feel ALOT peppier and cost 1/2 as much as the PC3 does (not to mention the extra $200-300 you'd need to spend on getting the PC3 custom mapped anyway).

Swapping pads is a VERY easy job. Only takes a couple minutes and literally like 2 or 3 tools. Don't let the dealer assrape you for the labor costs. Just watch this......it's super simple

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm thats what a friend of mine said, i just dont wanna f*ck up and end up having my brakes kill me :D lol

and what would be the advantage to stainless brake lines compared to the factory ones?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
thanks SPL! :D

yea ive heard people say they run OEM ones over aftermarket. and PC3 a no no?

Its not a no no, but I don't think you're going to get much out of it. I assume you are expecting an aftermarket filter and a PC3 is going to give you some monumental power increase????........its not. For the PC3 to even work optimally for your bike you need to put the bike on a dyno and have a professional tuner put a custom fuel map on in. Which like I said, costs another $2-300, and that's only going to give you a small increase in power for the money you spend.

Go get a chain kit from Motomummy with -1/+2 gearing. When you whack the gas open you'll feel a MUCH bigger difference in power delivery. And it only costs about $180 by comparison......very common mod for a 600

http://www.motomummy.com/store/product.php?productid=16291&cat=270&page=1

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well no, i wasnt expecting a big power increase, more to the effect of, if i got a higher flow air filter that i would need to get a PC3, as if the higher air flow would make my bike run like crap. Honestly, i had never even thought about a chain and sprocket kit, seems to be a big bang for the short money. So now im really excited, ill save a big chunk of money.

Couple of questions on the video...

-should i stick with factory pads? i wasnt planning on getting new rotors.
-should i clean the insides of the calipers like said video?

·
Registered
53 Posts
.........and what would be the advantage to stainless brake lines compared to the factory ones?
The factory rubber brake lines expand/bulge a little under pressure every time you apply the brakes. This weekens the lines over time (along with weather) and also reduces the braking power and feel available. Switching to braided steel lines improves power and feel due to no bulging, and is also much less likely to burst under high pressure in a emergency stop type situation.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
-should i stick with factory pads? i wasnt planning on getting new rotors.
-should i clean the insides of the calipers like said video?

You can stick with stock pads if you like, but better performing aftermarket pads are actually probably cheaper and work better. Something like Galfer HH or Carbone Lorraine pads should give you a little better braking power and cost about $60 for full front setup http://www.motomummy.com/store/product.php?productid=16312&cat=293&page=1

Yes, cleaning the pistons is often overlooked by alot of people but its a very important maintenance step to make sure your brakes are working their best. As you can see from the video its very easy to do. I don't recall if the video mentions it but you also have to scrub your rotors clean to get the old pad material off if you are switching to a different version of pad. The way that brake pads work is they deposit a very thin layer of themselves onto the rotor surface and that is what the pads are rubbing against. So when you switch to different pads its important to scrubs the rotors surfaces clean with emory paper and follow up with a wipe down of brake cleaner spray.

Then be sure to follow the brake pad manufacturers instructions for "bedding-in" the pads.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright, i think im swaying towards doing it myself. Dont you need a special tool to take off the front wheel? and will i need a chain tool to do a sprocket swap?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
alright, i think im swaying towards doing it myself. Dont you need a special tool to take off the front wheel? and will i need a chain tool to do a sprocket swap?

You don't need to take the front wheel off to do the brakes.

You will need some stuff (including a chain breaker/riveter) to do the sprocket swap out back though. It probably goes without saying but a set of bike stands would be very helpful right now. If you don't have any now would be a good time to invest in a set of front and rear stands. Check ebay, they have lots for pretty cheap.

Here's another video from the OTT guys that shows the whole chain kit installation.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So i can just clean the front rotors while theyre on the bike? Me and my buddy are gunna tackle this when it gets closer to spring. im bookmarking this thread so i can go back for reference also, ive also downloaded the service manual so i can refer to that as well. Damn im excited, thanks for all the help...these videos are really helpful also.

Also, is there a preferred stainless brake line kit that people use?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
So i can just clean the front rotors while theyre on the bike?
Yup, just hold a piece of sandpaper in your hands and hold it on both sides of the rotor surface and spin the wheel a bit to scrub the rotor surface. Then wipe it all down clean with brake cleaner.

Also, is there a preferred stainless brake line kit that people use?

Galfer, Spiegler, Goodridge, Fren Tubo.....they're all fine. No real big difference.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would it be a bad idea to start ordering stuff offline too early? For example, if i bought my tires and had them shipped to me and stored them in my room until it was warm enough to ride will they be damaged in any way? Same with the chain and sprockets? i know the chain comes packaged in grease

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Tires will be fine in stored in a cool dry place for about 3 years. Chain and sprocket are metal you could store them for 20 years if you like

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks mang, cant wait for spring...im really excited. Im also picking up some hot bodies flush mount blinkers and Vortex sliders

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
Why does he need a chain kit with the sprockets?? I put a -1/+2 on my 06 750 and did not need a new chain. Of course my chain is always maintained and in good shape. If your chain is in good shape, you should be able to just get the sprockets.

And +1 for the Corsa III's

BTW, where in mass are you?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^^ Its alright, id rather get the new chain...plus the 520 chain is thinner and lighter.

and im located in southern mass...Attleboro to be exact.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
okay, well im unhappy that ive come to the conclusion that i cant afford all of the shit i want. hahaha. ironic i know. All together without mounting and balancing of tires, im looking at over $900. So im going to have to subtract something from my list for a little while. I think i might not do brake lines just yet.

My friend is telling me to skip out on the chain and sprocket....i still want it

1 - 20 of 46 Posts