Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I have a wiring harness problem. Quite a few of my connection assemblies have burned up and melted together. NOt sure which ones go where. I know one is to the rectifier (the male connector is good on that one {upper right of pic}, but female is toast {middle left of pic}). Also the other 2 connections are on bottom of pic (one white female and white male connector)These connections are on the left side of bike right next to the rider seat if u r sittin on bike. My question is should I buy a new harness or can I jerry rig it to work? How much does a new harness cost? Is it all one piece or can I get just the pieces I need? Iam kinda screwed because alot of the connector assemblies got burned... any suggestions would be nice. Thanks is advance.. here is pic

·
Registered
96 Posts
your screwwd you need a new harness it comes in 1 part, that your option, or direct wiring the connections together. I'm having the same problem right now with my bike the wiring got hold of the header system and we are trying to sort it all out what a mess.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
direct connect it then you don't have to worry about that again that has happen to plenty of the bikes on here including mines

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
dude thats a common problem on the SRADS...do yourself a favor and hard wire it...use 12-14 gauge wire and solder it all together and heatshrink it. its a very common problem on our bikes, my 600 actually melted and caught on fire @ 18k miles..luckily i was in my garage with a extinguisher to put it out! my 99 750 bike hasnt had the problem yet but its only got 1000 miles on it..i think i may hard wire it pretty soon anyway to be safe. take my words and just hard wire it..do not replace them connectors bro.

Jay

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fellas. I got with a shop here in town and the cost for the rear harness is 382 bones. For some copper and plastic..Damn that shit. I guess I will hard wire those jokers together and hope it works. This may be a dumb question.. but what is meant by "shrink wrap" the wires. Thanks again

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
yeah dont buy another harness..it will only melt again! as fas as shrink wrap...i would either solder them and "shrink wrap" them or use good quality electrical tape. shrink wrap is a tube that you slip over the wire prior to soldering it..then once soldered you slide it over the solder and then heat it up and it shrinks to covere the solder job and keep moisture out. if you need some help e-mail me bro. [email protected]

J

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
That connection in the bottom of the 2nd pic is the stator connection. I had the same problem, it was due to corrosion in the harness and connections. A new front and main harness, a new stator and rectifier and finally, a shitload of die-electric grease, and my little firebug doesn't smell like a barbecue pit anymore.

Check your charging system before you hardwire it. It would suck to solder all that stuff together and then have to re-do it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a quick thanks to all that helped. The old beast is running again. I think I put enough soder on the wires to patch the titanic.. so we will see how it stands up. Mucho thanks fellas.. saved me lotza money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts