Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to cut and plug the vacumn hose running from the bottom to the top of my carbs.
lobo boy said Yosh reccomended it and that it made hella difference in his throttle response.
Has anyone else done this mod besides lobo boy???
Is there any hesitation after you do it.

I suppose it's a sort of vacumn controlled secondary butterfly that opens as vacumn decreases. I can see how it would work, but it seems like it would hesitate when you give it full throttle because it would always be open??

[ 12-13-2002, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: outcold ]

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you have reservations about doing this call Yoshimura and talk to Brad Stevens, he is the individual that I talked to about this. All this tubes does is slows down the slide from opening so fast to reduce the amount of intake noise for noise emissions. Like I said just give Brad a call and talk to him about it and he can give you in depth explanations on why and what will haoppen if you do it. I don't want you guys to do this mod if you are not sure about it that is why I am letting you know who to talk to. I believe Brad's ext number is 209 but that might be wrong. If you call them just ask for Brad Stevens and the will transfer you to him.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool.... Thanks!

WoooHooo, I'm gonna be loop'n my bike like crazy!!! Aaaaa, Errrrr, I mean.....

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ok folks let me know how this works and what to do to the tube such as remove them or plug them ect. I have been told in the past to do it but I never asked exactly what to do.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just cut and plug!

All it does is make the upper slide thingy stay open all the time instead of depending on engine vacumn. I'm just worried about a hesitation when you give it full throttle.

(Kinda like havin a Holley double pumper instead of vacumn secondaries!)

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by outcold:
Just cut and plug!

All it does is make the upper slide thingy stay open all the time instead of depending on engine vacumn. I'm just worried about a hesitation when you give it full throttle.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This isnt correct.. If it doesnt close then you would have no change in fuel. It would be pouring fuel into the motor as if you had it at WOT all the time..

This MODs sounds funny to me.. But I have not seen these carbs myself so I am not sure.

John

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked to a local guy here and he has also done this to his bike???

Don't know, but I'm gonna try it and see. All I can do is have fuel running everywhere..... eventually it will catch fire from the exhaust... then I will have to dive off of my bike doing well over 80mph and it will end up hitting a little old ladie going to church and both vehicles will explode sending parts and pieces all over a 2 mile radius...

That all

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
You know... If you dont want to cut them, just take them off and go to pepboys.. get some vacume caps (or more hose the same size) and make a plug.. that way you still have the stock ones incase you are not happy...

John

·
Registered
751 Posts
I race a 2000 GSXR600, and it does not have that hose on them. Under that cover there is a really tiny (.5mm) hole though on the edge near the seal to each one.

So those with the 00 600 this mod need not apply to you.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Removing the tubes will not allow the slide to stay open all the time. All the tube does is slow down the opening of the slide. The slide has it's own port that is built into the carb so it still operates as a vaccuum slide but with the tubes removed it opens twice as fast. They were put there to slow down the opening of the slide for noise emissions. Just try it and trust me, it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have to agree with John... I'd just pull the hose, and plug both ends before you decide to cut. This way, you can see if the response is too snappy for your taste in throttle response,.. or just right. You'll figure out if you have problems when you smell too much fuel, but if indeed this does just slow down the slide response on the secondaries, then just go for it and try it out. Can't hurt then I suppose. I will consult the Bible later on this function.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm gonna wait till spring and give it a go...

I need more power so maybe this will trick me into thinking I'm faster??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts