Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLVED: ran compression test, bypassed all known sensors to cause no spark issues, replaced plugs and stator, kept grounding to throttle bodies like an idiot and got no spark, killed battery from cranking and testing, bump started down the driveway and reset the idle to normal and let the stator do its job and charge the battery = runs better than before the issue

TLDR; Failed stator due to replacing battery and rectifier but not the stator. Also pro tip, don't post about your stupid speed thrills, it gives a bad look for everyone lol.

Hi everyone,

Totally new to the forum life so I hope I'm not making a double post (sorry if so).

So long story. I was out lastnight, I had a Subaru come up on me that clearly wanted the business. I waved him past me on a clear dark backroad while doing 30 over and he obviously stepped on it so I made sure he was clear down the road and just laid on it so he had to pull back behind me. Fast forward a bit down the road, we both turn right onto a clear double lane road which my house happens to be on, he knows I'm going to give it shit if he accelerates, sure enough he does & I'm flying past him as his passenger is recording the whole thing (really corny, didn't see it until I passed him the second time lmao) and I ended up getting way ahead and somehow missed a gear, tried to play it off like I was just being an idiot revving and basically got to me house, rev matched down to 1st gear, boom, bogs out and DIES. I couldn't turn left into my house because a car ended up coming and I had no power so here I am on the opposite side of the road dead. The bike now would not start unless I gave it gas and didn't want to stay alive under 2k rpm. I'm pretty sad as I've only had this bike for a month and had JUST fixed a kickstand sensor issue, and replaced a rectifier and a battery.

Any help would be amazing. I pulled the tank off and removed the pump, disassembled the pump and tried to clean the catch filter and put everything together. Same issue. But I noticed a thick vacuum line running along the left side down to the bottom of the bike was disconnected at the top. I have no idea where it came from because it was not disconnected before. Could it have blown off? I've tried looking at diagrams and troubleshooting like I would on a dirtbike but I think I'm going to need some real help. I also adjusted the idle and I got it to run, but it would only idle at like 2.5k plus. And sounded kinda shitty.

Thanks a lot to any potential helpers, I literally need you. :lmao

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so it's a breather line according to the dead end lol so I don't think that would be my issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, showing -c46 but I had that before it shit the bed, I don't have the stock exhaust I have a k7 exhaust on it. (Previous owner)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: tried to put jumper cables on to see if it was something weak electronically. Still no start, but now it won't even start with throttle. Pretty lost at this point. I smell unburnt fuel and the pump primes. So maybe bad plugs or something? Bad stator?

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
Fuck you, OP. Fuck you so hard.

I hope that when you yard sale that machine that YOU are the only one that dies. Fuck off.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So how much experience do you have riding in general?
Sadly, you aren't going to get much sympathy here.
That kind of childish, stupid riding is what gets people killed.
Guessing you don't wear a helmet or decent gear either?
You are lucky that you didn't get yourself of someone else hurt with that kind of stunt.

First step in troubleshooting any issues.... get a manual.
If after getting the manual and READING the troubleshooting parts, come back when you have some specific questions.
It's very difficult to troubleshoot your bike for you from here.

And as he said... when you give up and sell the bike, we all hope the new owner doesn't get hurt because of the damage you caused!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So how much experience do you have riding in general?
Sadly, you aren't going to get much sympathy here.
That kind of childish, stupid riding is what gets people killed.
Guessing you don't wear a helmet or decent gear either?
You are lucky that you didn't get yourself of someone else hurt with that kind of stunt.

First step in troubleshooting any issues.... get a manual.
If after getting the manual and READING the troubleshooting parts, come back when you have some specific questions.
It's very difficult to troubleshoot your bike for you from here.

And as he said... when you give up and sell the bike, we all hope the new owner doesn't get hurt because of the damage you caused!
As I said my knowledge of these particular bikes is not the greatest as I come from offroad. Also Full gear actually and I always promote full gear. And I never specified how fast we were going, or anything. I'm not asking for sympathy. I'm literally just asking for relevant experiences in symptoms. I also will not be giving up on it lol, the likelihood of me fixing it is extremely high. I'm not sure what kind of quitters you are surrounded around, however I will figure it out. I simply wanted to see if anyone has experienced the same thing. I fix all of my machines I'm just new to this particular machine. Also I agree that speeding on roads busy or not is not correct, so I apologize for posting that portion. I wasn't trying to promote it, I was simply trying to be detailed in the moments leading up to the issue. Would you rather me lie and tell you I was cruising 40 in an 80 and it just miraculously died, or would you like the detailed explanation to make a potential diagnoses of what may have happened? Again, I was in no way asking for sympathy or trying to promote bad behaviour. It all started with me being tailgated while minding my own, and the other driver and I mutually had some harmless fun on a dead farm road in the middle of nowhere. No one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. Please don't preach greatness to me like you haven't made mistakes. And yes I will re download the manual, thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm not saying we don't make mistakes here. For example, I will NEVER forget the first time I grabbed a handfull of front brakes on a gravel road. And I've been over the handlebars on the dirtbike more than a few times.
But what I hear is more like poor judgement, with the racing a car on a side road (30 over you said?). I would call that horseplay.

Seen so many squids here who have little riding experience and no mechanical knowledge.
They don't want to learn on some ugly Honda Rebel or nothing.
They want to look sexy in front of the ladies while they ride wheelies and race cars on the highway.
Some even believe that buying a 600 is somehow safer than getting the 1000 their friends have.
When they inevitably break the bike, they come here looking for help fixing their ride.
They usually don't really want to get or read the manual, hoping we will just tell them the fix and go from there.
When it turns out to be more work to troubleshoot and fix properly, they decide to sell it and buy another running bike instead.
I know this because I have purchased a few of these bikes, fixed them correctly, and re-sold them.
The worst part is they usually won't disclose the condition of the bike, or they will down-play the problems.
I know a man who bought one those busted bikes, not knowing that it had problems.
he was a very new rider, and when the bike started miss-firing and shuddering at speed, he panicked and lost control of the bike.
Broken leg and dead bike for the effort.

If you want to go fast, do a search for 'track day'. There are tracks literally everywhere where you can race your machines. Much better condition than some rural road, and with safety services nearby, so much safer!

But I have said my piece about that.
I believe in helping those who want to help themselves. So once you have a copy of the manual, give the troubleshooting section a once-over and we'll see what we can do.

An ailing bike is a tragedy!

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
Fuck these lectures man, who cares if the OP rides like that. For chissakes, I dragged off an BMW M5 on a public road the other day and I have no idea what my speedo read, but I was soooo far over the limit that if I got caught they'd have thrown my bike into the crusher and me into jail. I'm in my late 40's. The M5 driver looked older than me. Risk taking is a choice, and fucken lectures from fucken doo gooders is a fucken waste of time.
Fuck you, too. Go fast on the track. Everyone there is doing the same thing you are and accept the risk. Acting like a fucking moron on public roads is introducing the general public who may not desire to take the risks that you do. Couple that with the long response times of EMS, the risk of fatality goes up exponentially. You say that you're over 40. I don't care your age, you are irresponsible.

Asshattery used to be an instant ban, here. It is still not acceptable, I hope. Fuck on over to GSXR.com.

·
16,990 Posts
Fuck these lectures man, who cares if the OP rides like that. For chissakes, I dragged off an BMW M5 on a public road the other day and I have no idea what my speedo read, but I was soooo far over the limit that if I got caught they'd have thrown my bike into the crusher and me into jail. I'm in my late 40's. The M5 driver looked older than me. Risk taking is a choice, and fucken lectures from fucken doo gooders is a fucken waste of time.
Hey dude. Do you ever think of the bad image you give guys who dont ride like an asshole?
You know, the guy who rides because he merely loves getting out there, without feeling the need to do whatever the fuck he wants? No of course not, and that poor guy gets lumped into the same group as you when he gets pulled over for "riding a crotch-rocket" & doing 4 over..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think we've forgotten that this involved two people in the middle of nowhere who both accepted the risk late at night. Anyway.

Back onto topic, I appreciate everyone's input negative or not.

I checked the compression on all 4 cylinders and the first two from left to right were 150, right two were at 160.

No spark on all 4 plugs.

Pump primes.

Battery is in good shape.

Rectifier in good shape.

Kickstand sensor is looped and bypassed.

Only part not changed in that ignition system is the stator and plugs. With that being said I ordered a new stator and plugs, and some oil and a filter to treat the bike to some new fluids. Also going to take a look at the tip sensor as well.

Parts should be in this week, I will update accordingly. Hopefully my post will help someone down the line with similar issues.

I would also like to add that I only came here to share my experience with my issue, hopefully troubleshoot and fix it and maybe add something useful to the web about my issue and this bike. So far no one I've spoken with has seen my situation. Hopefully I crack the code this week. My intention was not to have someone online hold my hand, as I always figure shit out myself without going on forums, I just figured these bikes are more technical than 4 stroke race dirtbikes and I would put my ego aside and see what the opinions of other like-minded techy riders are. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
217 Posts
So you say it starts, but only if you give it throttle?
How does it sound when it is running?
Does it throw any codes?
You said you over-revved right before it died?
Might be worth physically checking the timing...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How did you test for spark?
I removed the plugs 1 by 1, attached the appropriate plug boot, then tried to ground to the throttle body lip. Now with a new stator and plugs still no bueno. I found my tip sensor just lingering in lala land not attached to anything so I tried to situate that. I took it apart to make sure it wasn't stuck or something. Even taped the counterweight in place to see if that might have been the issue. No luck. Ugh

So you say it starts, but only if you give it throttle?
How does it sound when it is running?
Does it throw any codes?
You said you over-revved right before it died?
Might be worth physically checking the timing...
So it used to start with throttle on the same night it initially died, but ever since the morning after I've never gotten it started again. I shifted into neutral whilst high in the revs about 1000m before the bike died yeah. & Yeah I was hoping not. But would that cause a total no spark issue? I figured even with bad timing it would still spark at some point. Someone mentioned crank sensor? But even with the new stator and plugs it's still no spark. Blah. Do you have to reset the tip sensor on the k8?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also figured the bike kept running from a weak spark and eventually died from no spark. Which led me to the stator but I'm somewhat confused now lol. Battery is starting to die from all my testing so I'm going to have to get that situated.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have you found a copy of the manual?
Should verify the tip sensor is indeed good.
Should also check the ECU voltages, and the coil voltages.
The stator only affects the charging system, not the ignition circuits, BTW.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
7 Participants
BigDaddyLJ
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing