Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up an 86 1100 for a project bike. will the handle bars and controls off of a 00-02 (or anything reletively new) fit my 86. also, what about putting new style rims on it. i would rather not have to change the forks and such, just to put newer rims on it.

· Registered
3,376 Posts
I wouldn't worry a whole lot about the plugs on the electrical stuff... worse case is they don't match up, so you just hack the plugs off the old stuff and solder and shrink-wrap it all up and presto-whammo, it fits. As for the wheels, I've never done it... you might try a "search" of the archives, there's lots of info that's been posted in past threads about which wheels work with which bikes... the way I understand it is if you're handy and have access to a machine shop that you can make any of them work with enough patience and spacers.

· Registered
429 Posts
I have the front end from a 94 750. I used the 94 clipons with the older controls, works fine.

Any 1985-1995 750/600 and 1986-1998 1100 rim will fit.(bolt on, just needed one washer/spacer)
Make sure you get the cush drive and the proper sprocket for the wheel, and the sprocket must match your chain.

the problem is with the front wheel.
the 86s had a 15mm diameter axle.
the 87s had a 17mm diameter axle.
the 88s and up had 20mm axles.
for an 88, the front wheel is a bolt on(rotors will not fit on the new wheel without machining)
87 is teh same as an 88, except you will need a custom bearing(any bearing shop will have one). size 17mm inner/47mm outer(not 100% sure on the outer, just measure the OD of the wheel bearing in the newer wheel).
With the 86, I found it simpler and easier to just replace the whole front end from a 94 GSXR750(forks, triple clamps, clip-ons, axles, rotors, and calipers). There is no 15/47 bearings, so you must either get spacers made, or replace the forks wth forks from an 87, 88, or newer GSXR.

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
karl,
so let me get this straight........if i just put a complete front end off of a 94 (bearings and all) it will bolt right up? im teyingt o make as little mods as possible. i would like to just bolt on and go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.