Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like a different look for the tank on my 86. Is there any other tanks that might fit? I am looking for a stock tank mainly to keep cost down. Naturally I will be willing to do some mods to make it work. I tried an 88 1100 GSXR but it too big. Any ideas?
Thanks.

[ 10-26-2001: Message edited by: suzukiltd ]</p>

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I think we're stuck with '85, '86, '87 stock tanks. I once heard a rumor that Yoshimura made an aluminum tank for our RG's but I've never seen one. If you need an '86 tank, the bone yard here in town has a very clean red/black one. email me and I'll put you in touch with it.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bcklrcr:
I think we're stuck with '85, '86, '87 stock tanks. I once heard a rumor that Yoshimura made an aluminum tank for our RG's but I've never seen one. If you need an '86 tank, the bone yard here in town has a very clean red/black one. email me and I'll put you in touch with it.<hr></blockquote>

I think you're referring to Yosh's 'Tornado' bikes. These had their limited production aluminum tanks, but might only be for 88-89????

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know air tech makes a replica of the tornado's tank. It looks cool as hell but they want over $600 for it. I am looking for a cheap change, I figure I should get the bike running before I spend $600 on a tank.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
the (original) yosh tornado tanks are for the 86-87's.....they're hand fabricated out of aluminum. i don't think they made more than 50 of them or so....

brand new suzuki tanks are like around $600, so the airtech's price ain't TOO bad.

but i'm not so sure i'd want a fiberglass fuel tank on a streetbike...it would leak fuel way too easy, i'd think.

in what way was the 88 1100 tank too big?

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I checked into Airtech's tanks a few years ago for my Kawasaki...They told me the tank is a race purpose tank that needs to be drained when not in use...it didn't sound useful to me at all.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I looked at the 88's tank again and think I can make if fit if I cut par of the bottom out. The croos member on the top of the frame is in the way and the tank is a hair to fat. I will post a picture so you can see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the pictures of what I am dealing with.
Sorry about using links, I got the red X's from hell the other way.

You can see the tank hit the cross member here.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=22318573&photoID=24026338&security=hIpcCvamLv
Here you can see where the tank hits the side of the frame.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=22318573&photoID=24026363&security=FNZHclhMyI
Here you can see how wide the tank is. I won't know if that is a problem until I get the bodywork back on.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=22318573&photoID=24026457&security=FnzNtgIhEz

If I cut out the bottom and make it flatter it should wor. What do you think?

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: suzukiltd ]</p>

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry. I didn't realize that. Here is the login and password if you want to look.
Login: suzukiltd
Password: suzukiltd
Thanks.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
okay, i can see the pics now.....

the second pic makes it seem as if the tank is too wide, but in the third (head-on) pic, it looks like it might fit?

the first pic's a toughie, though.....you could either have that crossmember moved, or have the tank bottom reshaped....

the tank appears to have seen better days though
, so maybe it would just be easier to wait until you can come across a nice 750 tank?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought that tank for $15 just so I could screw around with it to see if I can make it fit.
I figured that I would need to reshape the bottom. Do you guys think it would look good if it fit?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts