Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

So I bought a 1000 L0, great bike... so far.

However! she is very lumpy and uneasy anywhere below 3-3.5 rpm (1st,2nd or 3rd gear). I have to slip the clutch and/or free wheel to keep her happy.

you would think with all this power I could just ride over the cars...:nono
but i have to slow down for the traffic sometimes.:banghead

you would think a big litter lump with loads on torque would be easy at low rpm's.

If I install a PCV or Bazzaz will a custom dyno'ed map make her a little more friendly at low speeds. The first owner did twin Akro's/y pipe. it was dyno'ed by a suzuki dealer.

And just before anyone lights up the flame torch, I have gone through ALL 40 odd pages in this forum section and read all the threads that related to PCV, Bazzaz and tuning.

as always, any input would be great.

thx guys.... and girls!

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Bike is stock? Any mods? We need more info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"The first owner did install twin Akro's and y pipe and it was dyno'ed by a suzuki dealer."

thats all... So no other mods. I believe the dealer also sorted out the FI light when they did the Akro install.

the bike does have Brembo brakes and a Brembo master cylinder. But i don't see how that would play any part in the lumpy low down rpms.

If you guys want me to check anything on the bike, let me know and i will check what ever you like.

Thx

Attachments

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Yes, a pvc or Bazzaz with a custom map will definitely help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After chatting to a couple tuning shops today.

The most cost effective mapping will be direct ECU mapping.

As my bike does not have PCV or any other fuel controller, the only way i can think the last owner tuned the bike for the twin arko's and y-pipe, must have been this direct ecu mapping.

I have multiple Dyno run print outs from the first owner, when he did the arko install :shifty

anyone got any pro's, con's or input?

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Cost effective doesn't equal best. I would spend the money on a pcv or Bazzaz and have it custom tuned.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had a ecu tune and it wasn't good enough. I got rid of all that and went with a PCV install and a dyno tune. Night and day difference and my bike picked up 15 hp on pump gas verses the ecu tune which in its defense was a backyard tuner not done on a dyno. The PCV install and cleaning up my ecu was done on a dyno.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have Bazzaz ZFI TC and it made my bike a lot nicer to ride :) (with full yosh system)
After a few big runs and map changes applied to the current fuel map , she was butter smooth all around.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
These guys i spoke to say they have much more control doing direct ECU mapping vs PCV etc.

They do PCV bazzaz etc. But can only do the direct mapping on Sukzuki KTM and one other i think.

http://www.stevejordanmotorcycles.co.uk/dyno.asp

Not saying you guys are not correct.... :scratch
You seem to already have your mind made up, even though two very fast racers have already told you otherwise, so get whatever you want...

:thumbup

·
Registered
308 Posts
Get it tuned at steve jordan. He's probably forgotten more than these fast forum racers ever knew - Seriously, he knows his stuff and how to tune gixxers.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Get it tuned at steve jordan. He's probably forgotten more than these fast forum racers ever knew - Seriously, he knows his stuff and how to tune gixxers.

See OP? More validation for you.

Kinda makes me wonder why all SBK teams run aftermarket ecu's and/or piggyback fuel/ignition management systems if tuning the stock ecu was so good.

:dunno

·
Premium Member
3,498 Posts
You seem to already have your mind made up, even though two very fast racers have already told you otherwise, so get whatever you want...

Why to would you first buy a PC/Bazzaz and you would still be unable to tune the bike properly. Or how you are going to tune the IAP & TPS maps correctly with a piggyback system?

OP, Do it right the first time and let them custom map the ECU on a dyno.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am no pro bike tech dude. or a racer... My main aim is not to gain 20Hp or anything like that. If I get a few extra HP, great.

All I want is a smooth bike. She might see a novice track day this year, if I feel like I am ready for it.

After putting £7k into this bike, I cant really say i have £300 for a PCV and then £200 for the tune.

As a few of you have said. you tried a direct ECU map and it did not work for you and then you installed a PVC. So I guess this option is always there for me to fall back on if the direct does not work out well. But I am NOT racing... just having fun on the weekends and getting to work.

But as I said... this bike MUST of had a direct map done after the Akro's were installed( before i owned it). but god only knows if those monkeys knew what they were doing.

I am glad Deank69 knows of the Steve Jordan guys. they really did seem to know what they were talking about.

I might pop down and see them just for a chat this weekend.

Will update.

BTW, how long does a dyno tune normally take. They were saying 3 hours of tuning!? [Best i make sure it has a full tank of gas!] :scratch

1 - 15 of 15 Posts