Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

401 - 412 of 412 Posts

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts
Guess there is a trade-off of brawn for brains, huh? Well, not always. I know some of the residents I worked with were as big as him, but maybe they're just the exception

·
Registered
69 Posts
All of the stuff you wrote is the stupidity we are trying to teach others to avoid. I guess it's good to have a picture of what can happen. :dunno
interesting to consider, how many people do you think actually change their minds based upon posts saying "wear gear!"... probably not many, if any.

maybe theres a few people who are convinced by a picture or video to change their ways, but if youve studied people as exhaustively as i have you will come to find that for most people the only thing that changes their perspective on anything is personal experience... they need to crash at some point and only after that point, when its real to them, they will either decide to start wearing gear, or they will decide they accept the risks and continue to do what they do.

i dont think the "please wear gear" kind of pics and videos are very helpful at all.... but i DO think the gruesome crash and wreck videos are helpful... it needs to be scary, emotional, and possibly disturbing if you want to have an impact on people... a friendly nice video saying "hey bud, please wear some gear" isnt going to sway anyone, but i know some people who started wearing gear more often after seeing a few too many nasty gore pics.

But you seem to have a weird pride in nearly dying and knowing that because of your actions, that you will die one day prematurely. Then in the same breath you write, "hopefully it doesn't happen."
not being afraid to die is not the same thing as not caring if you die.... and yes i understand my perspective is not "normal" or common.

a documented psychological condition for certain types of people enjoy risk and/or danger, and within that category for each person they have a varying degree of how extreme the risk needs to be to satisfy them.... for instance maybe you enjoy a little bit of risk, but for another person your level of risk is too tame, and their goal post is much further into the danger zone.

I'm a professional stuntman for a living and everything I do is a calculated risk to my health and well being. But I don't just wing it. Proper preparation, planning and rehearsing is key to not getting hurt.
thats great and im glad you enjoy it... to others that seems boring, theres no danger, no rush, no fear when youve planned everything to be as safe as possible, some people just require more risk to reach the same level of enjoyment.

It's self preservation. I have overwhelming desire to live. I love life. You seem, at least in this short writing, to not have that desire for self preservation. That is hard for me to understand. I would suggest talking to a shrink and figuring out where that desire is coming from.
i have a deep love for life, and in fact enjoy a wonderfully satisfying life. im one of the most positively adjusted, laid back and happy people that youll ever meet. ive never experienced even a touch of depression or similar negative mental conditions in my life. ive been lucky enough to have traveled the world, experienced dozens of cultures, places, and seen things that most people only watch on tv. im just grateful to be alive and feel lucky to have had all the awesome experiences ive had, and you probably havent met anyone that is consistently smiling and happy as i am.

i know its hard for normal people to understand, and it might even seem contradictory, but it IS possible to have love and value of life while also enjoying risking it... in fact that might be what makes it so much more of a rush and that much more interesting is because my life is so valuable that it makes the risk that much higher and the rush that much bigger.
if i had a shitty boring sad life there wouldnt be much risk in losing it, there would be no rush.

i guess you can equate it to high stakes gambling... there is a huge rush gambling with millions... but gambling at the $1 table is pretty boring.... your life is the ultimate stake.
(for the record, i dont enjoy actual gambling if its only mathematical risk, but the analogy is sound when it comes to danger and life)

Maybe i'm looking into this too deep. But when I see someone writing nonchalantly about knowing they are going to die in the future because of their actions, but continue to do those actions in a reckless manner, the psychology behind it interests me.
rough analysis would be a functional sociopath (but without the traumatic upbringing influence that is often suspected, i had loving caring parents and a happy childhood, so its possibly genetic but genetic is usually associated psychopaths not sociopaths) and a dose of ataraxia (thats the nonchalant attitude you sense), with an addiction to risk and danger.

as i stated above, probably the core takeaway is that for people like me (and granted i know im an outlier) is that "not being afraid to die" is NOT the same as "not caring if you die"... most people cant seem to wrap their head around it, but its possible to love your life and also love risking it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Guess there is a trade-off of brawn for brains, huh? Well, not always. I know some of the residents I worked with were as big as him, but maybe they're just the exception

i was lucky to be gifted a relatively high IQ by birth (yeah yeah, everyone on the internet is a mensa member), but i was born physically average if not below average... my body is something i worked on later in my adult life as a choice, being fit is highly beneficial for your life in multiple ways, and it would take quite a closed mind to not appreciate that.

associating physical fitness with a lack of intelligence is really an antiquated cliche, practically a dark ages kind of backwards thinking... nevertheless, its a common "goto" for people with nothing better to say, and it speaks more about your own intelligence level than that of the person you think you are slighting.

·
Super Moderator
15,128 Posts
interesting to consider, how many people do you think actually change their minds based upon posts saying "wear gear!"... probably not many, if any.
This information is geared (pun intended) towards new riders making decisions on new riding habits. We are simply providing information that will help keep them in one piece. We are not trying to change minds but only providing information to make informed decisions. If someone changes their mind, great but it's not the main objective.

not being afraid to die is not the same thing as not caring if you die.... and yes i understand my perspective is not "normal" or common.

a documented psychological condition for certain types of people enjoy risk and/or danger, and within that category for each person they have a varying degree of how extreme the risk needs to be to satisfy them.... for instance maybe you enjoy a little bit of risk, but for another person your level of risk is too tame, and their goal post is much further into the danger zone.
No, I get the difference. I know people who have a similar thought process. Again, I was only commenting on what I read. Obviously I don't know you personally. I am glad that you care if you die.

thats great and im glad you enjoy it... to others that seems boring, theres no danger, no rush, no fear when youve planned everything to be as safe as possible, some people just require more risk to reach the same level of enjoyment.
There's no danger being a Stuntman? :scratch While I am not doing death defying stunts on a daily basis you can only plan so much. Things still go wrong. People in my profession die and get seriously injured. There is still an inherent danger getting set of fire, doing a high fall, getting hit by a car, crash/rolling a car etc. There is plenty of rush and plenty of fear. Just because it's planned, it doesn't completely take away the possibility of bodily injury or worse.

i have a deep love for life, and in fact enjoy a wonderfully satisfying life. im one of the most positively adjusted, laid back and happy people that youll ever meet. ive never experienced even a touch of depression or similar negative mental conditions in my life. ive been lucky enough to have traveled the world, experienced dozens of cultures, places, and seen things that most people only watch on tv. im just grateful to be alive and feel lucky to have had all the awesome experiences ive had, and you probably havent met anyone that is consistently smiling and happy as i am.

i know its hard for normal people to understand, and it might even seem contradictory, but it IS possible to have love and value of life while also enjoying risking it... in fact that might be what makes it so much more of a rush and that much more interesting is because my life is so valuable that it makes the risk that much higher and the rush that much bigger.
if i had a shitty boring sad life there wouldnt be much risk in losing it, there would be no rush.

i guess you can equate it to high stakes gambling... there is a huge rush gambling with millions... but gambling at the $1 table is pretty boring.... your life is the ultimate stake.
(for the record, i dont enjoy actual gambling if its only mathematical risk, but the analogy is sound when it comes to danger and life)

rough analysis would be a functional sociopath (but without the traumatic upbringing influence that is often suspected, i had loving caring parents and a happy childhood, so its possibly genetic but genetic is usually associated psychopaths not sociopaths) and a dose of ataraxia (thats the nonchalant attitude you sense), with an addiction to risk and danger.

as i stated above, probably the core takeaway is that for people like me (and granted i know im an outlier) is that "not being afraid to die" is NOT the same as "not caring if you die"... most people cant seem to wrap their head around it, but its possible to love your life and also love risking it.
Glad to hear it. I am not here to diagnose. It was an interesting response. Thanks for sharing. :cheers

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
There are kids who read this forum so we try to promote enjoying these motorcycles in the safest manner possible. I was one of those kids when I joined this forum and it was many thanks to many of the elder members here that I changed my ways. I went from not being so concerned about gear to wearing it all the time very early on here. I went from being a street Rossi (cuz I had lots to prove so I thought) to taking my racerboy shenanigans to an actual racerboy environment, the track because of the lessons I learned right on this forum. I’m probably the only active member here who can say they grew up on this forum and I credit this place in many ways for saving me from myself and encouraging me to keep it safe. To suggest that folks don’t take the advice here good or bad is silly. I actually did and many members are lurking and constantly taking notes on what is written. Bragging about riding a motorcycle around in sandals and without gear, even if just going around the corner is fucking reckless, irresponsible, and probably should not even be tolerated around here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
There are kids who read this forum so we try to promote enjoying these motorcycles in the safest manner possible. I was one of those kids when I joined this forum and it was many thanks to many of the elder members here that I changed my ways. I went from not being so concerned about gear to wearing it all the time very early on here. I went from being a street Rossi (cuz I had lots to prove so I thought) to taking my racerboy shenanigans to an actual racerboy environment, the track because of the lessons I learned right on this forum. I’m probably the only active member here who can say they grew up on this forum and I credit this place in many ways for saving me from myself and encouraging me to keep it safe. To suggest that folks don’t take the advice here good or bad is silly. I actually did and many members are lurking and constantly taking notes on what is written. Bragging about riding a motorcycle around in sandals and without gear, even if just going around the corner is fucking reckless, irresponsible, and probably should not even be tolerated around here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Squids will be squids...:squid

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm bringing this thread back to life again because no matter how many times people read how important gear is they ignore it.
I just about lost my ass the other day. I had on gloves and a jacket, but I was wearing tennis shoes.

The gloves 100% saved my ass. The jacket and bike without a scratch because I could hold on the handle bars.
The tennis shoes are in the trash and I've got on boots today.

Those gloves, jackets, boots, etc... aren't that expensive in comparison to a skin graft or something even worse.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I wear my gear because I'm just too damn pretty to mess this up. :cool:
I have so many stories of friends who lived only because of their gear.
And just about as many of serious injuries that could have been prevented.
One of my co-workers was showing off, doing wheelies down the street when a car suddenly pulled out in front of him at the intersection.
He dumped the bike in spectacular fashion. The car slammed on their brakes.
When the screeching and crunching stopped, the bike and the car were one and his head (in helmet) was wedged under the frame of the car. They had to jack the car up to get him out from under it.
The moral? Don't ride like an idiot, and always wear your gear!

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I wear my gear because I'm just too damn pretty to mess this up. :cool:
I have so many stories of friends who lived only because of their gear.
And just about as many of serious injuries that could have been prevented.
One of my co-workers was showing off, doing wheelies down the street when a car suddenly pulled out in front of him at the intersection.
He dumped the bike in spectacular fashion. The car slammed on their brakes.
When the screeching and crunching stopped, the bike and the car were one and his head (in helmet) was wedged under the frame of the car. They had to jack the car up to get him out from under it.
The moral? Don't ride like an idiot, and always wear your gear!
Always wear your gear !!!!
Always no questions

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well folks, it looks like it's that time again. I've seen so many people without gear who look at me like im an astronaut with all my gear on. And i've had a personal experience that might change some of your minds.

A good friend of mine, Tony, has had about 4 or 5 bikes. Totalled ALL of them. Never wore a helmet or any gear. He simply didn't believe in them.

Now you may be saying, what in the lord's name is wrong with this guy? He trashes a bunch of bikes, manages to survive and still won't wear gear? Yes.

In his last crash, on a gsx-r1000; he was going about 60 down a regular 45/50 two lane each way road. Something happend, he flew off of the bike, broke a few bones, got bad road rash, and flipped 6 or 7 times. The bike was NOT so lucky, it managed to continue flipping violently shedding pieces as it rocketed down the road steadily decreasing in speed, until it hit a truck, where it proceeded to come to a full stop.

Tony lost partial sight in one of his eyes, and had months of physical therapy. He is probably going to be on pain medication for the rest of his life, and the skin from the road rash is very sensitive, even a year later.

Recently, he bought a new CBR, and he bought a helmet and gear (neither of which he had worn before)... Well, last week, I caught him riding without gear. I asked him what the hell was wrong with him.

"Its 90 degrees out.. Too Hot"

Too hot? How bout that road rash last year? Did that feel hot?

People, this man is the luckiest person I have ever met in my entire life, but luck runs out. And 99% of people will NOT be this lucky. Many of us have lost people to motorcycle accidents, and more of us have lost people to accidents where gear is not involved.

Tony is going to get whats coming to him. He rides like a maniac occasionally, but with no gear, he could ride like my grandmother, it doesn't matter. You have a very good chance of death and serious injury with no gear. Those odds are GREATLY reduced with a little leather and a helmet.

Please people, GEAR GEAR GEAR.. Especially to the new guys getting on their first bike. Buy someone that you can afford to get gear with. It is the most important investment you will make in your new found hobby.

I'll say that again.

GEAR IS THE MOST IMPORTANT INVESTMENT YOU WILL EVER MAKE WITH REGARDS TO MOTORCYCLING.
ATGATT!..... all the gear all the time!

401 - 412 of 412 Posts