Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

381 - 400 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Been riding since 2008, ATGATT no exceptions. And that doesn't mean "work boots" or "Kevlar padded jeans". It means full leathers, riding boots, riding gloves, helmet. Under my suit, I have an additional chest/back protector and Knox hip/thing/tailbone protector for extra padding.

No exceptions = keep odds stacked as much as possible on my side.

I went down once on the street, very minor 25mph fall in a straight line and came out unscratched.

I went down once at the track @ ~60mph, lowside, managed to tumble enough that my shoulder scraped through the stretchy Kevlar part of my A* race suit, I mean it's only like 5% of the entire surface area, and I still managed to get a tennis-ball-sized road rash on my shoulder and have a scar for life.

Most people don't wear as much gear as me, but whatever. While I'm alive, I want to live, and I want a good quality of life while I'm at it. ATGATT will help me stay true to my values.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I always love giving harley guys a hard time when they wear no helmet.

Most are pussies that have nothing to say, being a dentist after all.

The most common response is "I wear no helmet because I'm ready to die etc etc harley ftw "

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
in S. FL, with humidity at about 19999% and 95 degrees, I will still wear jacket/gloves and helmet, but no pants :(, I just cannot do it, its way too fucking hot, at a red light I will pass out with the heat, I'm stupid and wear shorts. I have a mesh type of jacket but yet to find pants that will do the job in this insane heat.

anyone got ideas ? any hot weather pants?

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
in S. FL, with humidity at about 19999% and 95 degrees, I will still wear jacket/gloves and helmet, but no pants :(, I just cannot do it, its way too fucking hot, at a red light I will pass out with the heat, I'm stupid and wear shorts. I have a mesh type of jacket but yet to find pants that will do the job in this insane heat.

Man up. Your legs being covered will not make you pass out. Jacket and shorts? What's the point?

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
I don't want to get my girl pregnant, so I'll wear a condom. But I don't like that it just doesn't FEEL as good, so I'm going to cut the front half off so it feels better, and I'm still wearing a condom on the same time.

:Lol

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
in S. FL, with humidity at about 19999% and 95 degrees, I will still wear jacket/gloves and helmet, but no pants :(, I just cannot do it, its way too fucking hot
I think you'll reconsider once you crash.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,843 Posts

I wore leathers and pants or a full suit in Vegas, where it was 115-120 and so hot that opening the jacket a bit was more uncomfortable than having it fully zipped. And you're complaining about 95 degrees being "insane heat?" To quote Samuel L. Jackson, "Bitch, please!" Also, Texas is hotter with a similar humidity, but you'll never catch me riding without my gear.

If you can't deal with the heat, don't ride. It's simple. If you're too weak to deal with some heat, you're certainly too weak to deal with the pain and permanent scars that come from road rash. If you are going to pass out at stop lights, it's time for you to learn how to properly hydrate.

·
Registered
87 Posts
+1 I recently crashed side swiping a car took a chunk out of the side of my helmet from the car so imagine my head or jaw without a helmet and its compulsory to wear helmet here or a big fine

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
Wait until you crash and the hot asphalt is burning the skin off your body. Then you'll wonder why you didn't buy that set of leather pants/jacket/boots.

--Wag--

·
Registered
349 Posts
Lol ok.. Not arguing, but what do you guys do about cops, do you call them all these names too? They were nothing down here lol. A helmet is about it, they might even be naked

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Lol ok.. Not arguing, but what do you guys do about cops, do you call them all these names too? They were nothing down here lol. A helmet is about it, they might even be naked
I have... I asked them numerous times as to why they don't wear better gear. And all of them would love to, but they aren't allowed in case of a foot chase. So yeah, I call them squids, and yes, to their face. They usually laugh and agree.

:dunno

·
Registered
69 Posts
lol just stumbled onto this thread... the original posters friend tony sounds pretty much like me.... been hit so many times, havent died yet due to being extremely lucky i guess, but i still ride without gear half the time... most times i ride pretty safe, and head on a swivel... but sometimes i just go nuts and press my luck.

i know ill probably die from it someday... or be horribly disfigured (in which case my friends have strict instructions to put me out of my misery before the ambulance arrives)... but im not gearing up to ride 5 mins down the road to the 711... i wear my helmet and gloves when i do long/fast rides, but for just around town shit its not practical here (thailand)... its hot and humid as fuck (i used to live in FL and its even worse here) and i already have a problem with my body overheating even when i wear no gear.... helmets give me headaches (ive tried various sizes and fitment) and wearing a jacket makes me feel like i will pass out from how much i sweat, i look like im in a sauna, its bizarre... no one else is sweating and i look like a bucket of water was dumped on my head within minutes of going outside..... we get 2 "cooler" months of the year and i tried a long ride with a jacket at that time... it was tolerable... one of my buddies tells me i should get one of those motoX mesh type jackets but im not sure that would even do much on the street in a slide?

i do wear my helmet when i know im going to ride fast... and usualy my gloves as well.... always wear boots, but thats whether im riding or not.... although ive been known to make the 7-11 runs in my flipflops sometimes but its literally 300m from my house im just lazy to walk.

i know gear is safer, and i wont whine about the consequences of what happens when it inevitably does.... hopefully it doesnt happen, but considering how ungodly dangerous the traffic is here (2nd highest road fatalities in the world) its probably just a matter of time... fingers crossed my survival luck keeps going.

i guess you could say i have good luck and bad... bad luck i get hit so often, and good luck that i havent died yet.

while in a car ive been hit 7 times (none my fault, 4 of which i was at a complete stop)
driving a car i rear ended someone 1 time (my fault, she double braked in the middle of an intersection and i wasnt paying attention)
while on a motorcycle ive been hit 2 times (pickup truck rear ended me while stopped, and a delivery truck ran me off the road when he turned wrong way down a 1 way street)
while riding ive crashed 2 times (a kid ran into the street i was not skilled enough to save it but i avoided the kid, and once my master cylinder failed/leaked, emptied the fluid at first hard stop, i should have noticed it earlier)
as a pedestrian ive been hit by a motorcycle 1 time (was standing there talking to a friend and some kid trying to show off ran into me at about 30kph, handle bar got me right in the hip, looked nasty next day)

13 times so far... kind of an ominous number ;)

i actually dont mind road rash on my arms too bad, but it sucks when you get it on your back and you cant reach to clean it yourself.. each time i had to call girls to come over and clean it twice a day
3 herniated discs, 2 torn rotator cuffs, and a torn MCL really suck though.... not sure gear would help me with any of that?

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
you cant save everyone :lol: :lol: :lol:

someone has to provide all the gruesome road rash pics right? :banana
All of the stuff you wrote is the stupidity we are trying to teach others to avoid. I guess it's good to have a picture of what can happen. :dunno

But you seem to have a weird pride in nearly dying and knowing that because of your actions, that you will die one day prematurely. Then in the same breath you write, "hopefully it doesn't happen."

I'm a professional stuntman for a living and everything I do is a calculated risk to my health and well being. But I don't just wing it. Proper preparation, planning and rehearsing is key to not getting hurt. Translating this into motorcycles would be throwing on the gear before riding. It's self preservation. I have overwhelming desire to live. I love life. You seem, at least in this short writing, to not have that desire for self preservation. That is hard for me to understand. I would suggest talking to a shrink and figuring out where that desire is coming from.

Maybe i'm looking into this too deep. But when I see someone writing nonchalantly about knowing they are going to die in the future because of their actions, but continue to do those actions in a reckless manner, the psychology behind it interests me.

381 - 400 of 411 Posts
About this Discussion
410 Replies
305 Participants
kiwisuzuki1100
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing