Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

361 - 380 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got my gear before my bike. Suit up top to toe every time, sods law states the one time i don't is when i'm going down, I like my skin where it is thanks.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
Got my gear before my bike. Suit up top to toe every time, sods law states the one time i don't is when i'm going down, I like my skin where it is thanks.
Now you are cursed to the first time you don't fully gear up, you will crash. I never wear gear, so it's anyone's guess as to when I'll go down. Who's the fool now??

:lmao

·
Registered
2 Posts
I remember a friend of mine jokingly said that, you should wear your helmet to prevent your brains from spilling out on the road when you have an accident. Yikes! That scares me a lot. We should wear complete gears when riding our bikes.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
No matter how much we preach "all gear, all the time", no matter how many stories we post, no matter how many graphic pictures we post, those who don't gear up...wont. There was even a very graphic site devoted to getting riders to gear up and ride responsibly but again "That wont happen to me", "I'm not like those others who crashed" and the "If I crash, I will accept the consequences" types.

Her_MKV

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went down pretty hard back in probably 2004 or 2005.
My own fault, being young and dumb.

To this day, I have mangled bike parts and a trashed helmet hanging in my garage as a reminder of how quickly things can happen, and to make me gear up as I'm pushing the bike out the garage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Or, as the saying goes, there are two kind of bikers, those who have gone down, and those who are yet to go down. You can usually tell who is who by the gear they wear.

Dress for the slide, not for the ride. Simple shit really.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my friend a jacket because he didn't have one. It wasn't high tech leather, just a basic textile but it is better than nothing. He wears it too.

Friends don't let friends ride without gear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I t boned a car at 50mph. Thankfully I'm not dumb enough to not wear some decent gear and a helmet. When I landed after being catapulted through the air My helmet smashed the ground and I slid . I honestly can't say how long I slid before sliding off the opposite side of the road into a drainage ditch. I had steel toe work boots on, my foot was crushed between the car and my bike and I had multiple broken boness in my foot and lost a excellent job opportunity because I couldn't walk for over a month. My jacket came up during the slide and i got a little road rash. If I had no gear i would be gone. It's worth the investment and I suit up no matter what the temp is outside.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Always gear up. Falling off at just 60kmh (38mph) hurts pretty bad.

Was doing my riding lessons at a riding school, second lesson it was, after they saw that I was at least capable of riding. All I had on at the time was a Helmet (Australian law says you can't ride without a helmet), polar fleece jumper, light jeans and runners. We were riding around the outer suburbs of Brisbane in 6pm traffic so it was pretty busy. The instructor said to me to always make sure I headcheck the side streets to make sure I was seen and that the cars were stopping. The instructor was riding ahead of me as we were cruising in some traffic. I looked to the left to check that there was no-one coming out the street and when I looked ahead again he was stopped at a pedestrian crossing. Now I could have stopped in plenty of time, but I panicked and grabbed a big handful of front brake. The 6month old cb250 that the school was letting me use instantly locked the front and it was just like it disappeared from under me. I was heading for the road head first and my instant reaction was to put my hands out to stop my fall. I come down on the corner of my right hand and it immediately went numb. Obviously it couldn't support my fall so I continued down on my right forearm, elbow and shoulder, all the while peeling my sleeve up to bare my naked arm, then my hip and thigh, finally rolling onto my back where I slid for a few more metres with the bike pushing into my side. I lay there for a second as the pain started to kick in, lifted my right hand to look at the damage and blood was pouring out of a wound about the size of the bottom of a coke can, plus my elbow was opened up, and I couldn't see it yet but my shoulder and hip looked like they'd been used as a scratching post by a tiger. Next I heard the screeching of tyres as the car that was following me mounted the curb to avoid me lying in the middle of the road. I stood up and tried to lift the bike off the road but my leg and arm were killing me and I could barely put any weight on them. And this was only at low speed. I carried that pain around for 2 weeks (while my hand seemed to take forever to heal, and I still have a scar there), and so even though I did not have a bike yet, I went out and bought a textile jacket with body armour, gloves, a new helmet as I hit the road pretty hard with the old one (and as we should all know even though they don't look damaged they are buggered once they hit the ground, even if only dropped from any higher than half a metre) and some good heavy jeans. I know jeans aren't really that great but they were better than the ones I was wearing at the time. I still wear heavy jeans riding around town but for highways I don my textile armoured pants. Currently saving up for 2 piece leathers.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I wear a shoei raid 2 full face lid, a pair of bull-it ce level 2 jeans with a covec on the in side, alpinestar supermoto gloves, lewis leather jacket and a pair of hein- gericke rally boots and my snow board jacket and bottom over the top if its cold and wet.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Always gear up. Falling off at just 60kmh (38mph) hurts pretty bad.

Was doing my riding lessons at a riding school, second lesson it was, after they saw that I was at least capable of riding. All I had on at the time was a Helmet (Australian law says you can't ride without a helmet), polar fleece jumper, light jeans and runners.
I'm very surprised any good riding school would let you out on the road without gloves, boots and a motorcycle jacket - they certainly wouldn't here in the UK even though they aren't a legal requirement.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm very surprised any good riding school would let you out on the road without gloves, boots and a motorcycle jacket - they certainly wouldn't here in the UK even though they aren't a legal requirement.
Looking back on it I totally agree, learners are even more likely to fall off

·
Registered
57 Posts
yeah, dont be a burden on society. wear gear. no tax paying, hard working American should have to support your dumb ass for the rest of your life cuz you go on disability for being an idiot. wear gear.

I turn 50 this year. bought my first street bike at 17. I wear my gear. live to live.

361 - 380 of 411 Posts
About this Discussion
410 Replies
305 Participants
kiwisuzuki1100
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing