Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Gsxr 1000R
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed since I bought my L7 1000r last year, I never see any of the newer gixxer 1000’s on the road when I’m out riding.
Did people just buy them for the road course and drag strip?
Or are they just not as popular as some of the other litre bikes?
I get compliments on mine everywhere I go, so I know people like them, just living in Kansas, I have yet to see anyone else on one.
Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought Gixer thou R as I thought it was the best road bike of the current crop of superbikes. The only time mine goes around a circuit is the Isle of Man TT circuit (which is a road circuit)
If I wanted a track bike, I would have gone for the Yamaha.....

In the UK & Europe, superbikes are getting less popular for a number of reasons (I'm guessing it's similar in the states?)

The average age of riders increasing (I'm not 68 until next month!) means that many have given up on superbikes/sports bikes and ride naked/big trialies/retros/tourers/middlewieghts/etc as they can no longer sustain the riding position on a superbikes/sports bikes for a prolonged time

These non superbikes are easier to ride and in the modern world with increased traffic, reduced speed limits, electronic surveillance, etc. So they make more sense for many riders

From a financial point of view, non superbikes are generally cheaper to buy & run

Personally, I don't care about the cost and will continue to ride a superbike until my body won't let me anymore. As for the cost, who cares, I've spent all my money on women & motorbikes, apart from a little bit I frittered away😀

I'm sure there's other reasons, which will get posted, but that's my 2 cents/pennies worth!

·
Registered
2017 Gsxr 1000R
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought Gixer thou R as I thought it was the best road bike of the current crop of superbikes. The only time mine goes around a circuit is the Isle of Man TT circuit (which is a road circuit)
If I wanted a track bike, I would have gone for the Yamaha.....

In the UK & Europe, superbikes are getting less popular for a number of reasons (I'm guessing it's similar in the states?)

The average age of riders increasing (I'm not 68 until next month!) means that many have given up on superbikes/sports bikes and ride naked/big trialies/retros/tourers/middlewieghts/etc as they can no longer sustain the riding position on a superbikes/sports bikes for a prolonged time

These non superbikes are easier to ride and in the modern world with increased traffic, reduced speed limits, electronic surveillance, etc. So they make more sense for many riders

From a financial point of view, non superbikes are generally cheaper to buy & run

Personally, I don't care about the cost and will continue to ride a superbike until my body won't let me anymore. As for the cost, who cares, I've spent all my money on women & motorbikes, apart from a little bit I frittered away😀

I'm sure there's other reasons, which will get posted, but that's my 2 cents/pennies worth!
I think you’re right, my friend I ride with went from gixxers to speed triples and never looked back.
He has three triumphs now and swears by them.
And I’m like you as far as sport bikes, I’m 55 though.
My right hand goes numb on long rides sometimes, but other than that, sports bikes it is for me until my body says I can’t anymore.

·
Registered
2017 Gsxr 1000R
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another sports bike killer is the shear cost of buying new, the GSXR1000 is the cheapest & that’s near on £17,000 go for a Honda Fireblade or BMW S1000 RR & you are looking at £20,000+ it’s simply crazy money 😳
Damn!!
I knew the BMW’S were expensive, but thought the other bikes were pretty close in price.

·
Premium Member
7,441 Posts
lol @ Nasher, the original womanizer on a sportbike... gotta love it, hope I can still ride if I reach 67, I have so many aches and pains now I have no idea where they come from, need me a nice lil Asian girl who will happily do all my chores so I can ride all day, mierkin women want me to do all the chores prolly why I'm so sore all the time and my poor bikes sit, gets old...

·
Registered
32 Posts
lol @ Nasher, the original womanizer on a sportbike... gotta love it, hope I can still ride if I reach 67, I have so many aches and pains now I have no idea where they come from, need me a nice lil Asian girl who will happily do all my chores so I can ride all day, mierkin women want me to do all the chores prolly why I'm so sore all the time and my poor bikes sit, gets old...
Women.........they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent 😀

·
That’s Mister Chalet to you ....
8,891 Posts
I'm still a pimple-faced youngster at only 55 but I have to admit, a Tuono RF Factory (RSV4 Factory with handlebars) was easier on my butt, back, insurance, plates etc. How do we pass the GSX-R torch on to the young 'uns?

·
Registered
2017 Gsxr 1000R
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm still a pimple-faced youngster at only 55 but I have to admit, a Tuono RF Factory (RSV4 Factory with handlebars) was easier on my butt, back, insurance, plates etc. How do we pass the GSX-R torch on to the young 'uns?
You’re right, my L7 1000r is expensive to own.
My insurance is 96 dollars a month and I’m 55 with a clean record, I can’t imagine how much it would be for a youngster.

·
Registered
‘18 750 ‘18 1000R ‘16 GSA
11 Posts
Suzuki needs to buy 10 BMW S1000RR's and reverse engineer them to create the perfect bike. When I bought my '18 R1000R the dealer was heavily discounting them. It was a good bike for the price I paid, but I would not have paid anywhere close to full msrp for the bike. Base msrp on the S1KRR is a couple hundred less too than a R1000R. 3 year warranty, etc. But when you're paying a premium, you expect premium features, tft instead of a Casio watch, cruise control since you already have rbw throttle, heated grips, electronic suspension, etc.

But like others have touched on, sport bikes in general don't make sense. Especially when they get more and more track focused with more aggressive ergo's every revamp. Most people probably spend 90% of the time on the street and the other 10% on a track. A dedicated sportbike doesn't make sense for that ratio when there's so many better options available today.

·
That’s Mister Chalet to you ....
8,891 Posts
You’re right, my L7 1000r is expensive to own.
My insurance is 96 dollars a month and I’m 55 with a clean record, I can’t imagine how much it would be for a youngster.
Do you have to pay that $96 every month? IE 1200/yr? Because yeah, that's a bit rough at our age.

In Quebec, the retarded government makes owning a GSX-R cost prohibitive, no matter the size or year. See below.

Plates for the year are in two main and completely idiotic categories. In my example above, compare basically the same bikes. The Tuono is an RSV4 but instead fo clip ons, it has handlebars. That makes it lower risk apparently, which means the plate is $641 for the year and the clip-on RSV4 is $1700+ / yr SMH

Font Material property Screenshot Rectangle Parallel

Even stupider: an old '86 750 oiler from 35 years ago is STILL in the high risk category, as is pretty much any supersport of any era. But all the insane hooligan bikes like the Tuono are the same low risk category / cost as a Suzuki Burgman 400 step-through.

Not much makes sense here in Frenchie-land.

·
Premium Member
7,441 Posts

sketchy proposition, lest we built up to it, first bikes did like 25mph, then 55-60, then 100, then 125-140, then the big leap, today's kids are falling out of the crib doing near 200 and they have darwin working overtime.. sucks

I literally took a break from riding with groups and what not with all the guys fallin off, ya get to know em, like em, have fun with em, barbeques, chase women, then BAM!

some good peeps fell hard and paid the ultimate, many had kids, wife, hard seeing them family at funerals so forth, this is no joke seattle peeps might remember this we were all biked up going to a funeral must have had 200 bikes? we had a guy die on his bike in the funeral progression, no jokes like 2002 or 3.. Country Mikes funeral I believe it was, there was one hell of a nice guy, Country, RIP Bro... a brother, lot of my riding buddies are of color, more than any other, Russian you name it, the KGB man those were some fun guys, Pigeon, Roosie, man he could keep up too...

yea man I dunno how that's going to work, it might be why they are jacking the costs up so high try to keep the young young guns on slower bikes? but hale you gotta go back 35 years and those bikes are too expensive now so I dunno if that's going to work at all..

IMHO I know a lot of folks wont like this but they need to go back to a federal tier type system..

you cant ride on anything over a 250 on the street until you are 21, then you can graduate to a 500cc.. 3 years on that you can jump up, pay your dues, learn the ropes, how us older riders dunnit...

so if you're 30 and decide to ride you have to do your 2 years on a 250 then 2 on a 500, then you can go up to 800cc for 2 years, that will save lives.. I believe the UK and parts of Europe and Africa so froth have those types of systems they seem to work to a degree.. these young kids are brought up and taught to respect nothing, so many learn the hard way.. sucks.

kids get on these hyper bikes and idle off the showroom floor, wait till they get away from prying eyes then hit it, and they have no clue how to react to anything unusual and it's ALL unusual at those speeds, corners come up way quicker than anticipated.. cars, you name it.. some save it, some don't, that lil fact has had me riding solo for the better part of 14 years now.. and I really like group rides, some of the best times of my life were group rides.. when no one fell off...

·
Registered
2017 Gsxr 1000R
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you have to pay that $96 every month? IE 1200/yr? Because yeah, that's a bit rough at our age.

In Quebec, the retarded government makes owning a GSX-R cost prohibitive, no matter the size or year. See below.

Plates for the year are in two main and completely idiotic categories. In my example above, compare basically the same bikes. The Tuono is an RSV4 but instead fo clip ons, it has handlebars. That makes it lower risk apparently, which means the plate is $641 for the year and the clip-on RSV4 is $1700+ / yr SMH

View attachment 582435

Even stupider: an old '86 750 oiler from 35 years ago is STILL in the high risk category, as is pretty much any supersport of any era. But all the insane hooligan bikes like the Tuono are the same low risk category / cost as a Suzuki Burgman 400 step-through.

Not much makes sense here in Frenchie-land.
wow that’s crazy expensive!
Yeah mine is about 1200 a year.
I had a 01 and 07 Gixxer 1000 and they were a lot cheaper than my new one.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
No idea. I went to get my registration on the bike I bought here in FL, only street bike I will own, and the lady said insurance isn’t required here on a motorcycle.

I’m sure a bank will require it if it’s on a lean.

Car insurance here is ridiculously expensive, I can only imagine a bike.

·
Registered
2017 Gsxr 1000R
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No idea. I went to get my registration on the bike I bought here in FL, only street bike I will own, and the lady said insurance isn’t required here on a motorcycle.

I’m sure a bank will require it if it’s on a lean.

Car insurance here is ridiculously expensive, I can only imagine a bike.
Wow, I’m really surprised, Florida must be a no fault state.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here in the UK, I pay £350 (about 420 us dollars) for insurance for all four of my motorcycles including my L9

By comparison my motorhome (which carries a motorbike inside and is my daily drive) is £250 ($300)

Must be my age, clean license, no accidents, good looks & modesty 😀
In fact, cheap vehicle insurance us about the only good thing about being old!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts