Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my spark plug problem fixed, the plugs are in there nice and tight. I go to start up the bike and it starts for a second and then dies. The bike will run if I hold the gas steady at about 2k or 3k rpm or if I have it on choke. Once I let off the gas or the choke the bike dies immediately. It is blowing out a bluish/whitish smoke(more white than blue) when Im on the gas. There is something very odd though, the bike runs fine when its in gear, it accelerates fine and there are no other problems while riding it. Right after a few WOT runs with it, the bike will stay running and if I turn it off and turn it back on again it will be fine. But if I let it sit for about 5 mintues it will not idle. Someone help me out please.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Sounds like you are burning oil... Pull the plugs out and look at each one.. One or more of them will be BLACK and that will be the piston having problems...

Sounds like you are going to need a top end rebuild soon..

John

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
could it be steam, is there a gasket leak thats sorting itself when the engines hot and expanded ??

but its definately a question for the usual gurus is this !!!

i can some one please tell me how to spell 'gurus' ??

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well I took in to count that he knows the difference with smoke and steem.. Normaly a blueish/white smoke is oil..

John

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I pulled the plugs out and they have this nasty thick black residue on them, it smells like gas kinda but not completely. I just had the top end rebuilt by a local shop less than 700 miles ago. I checked the head gaskets from the outside and on the right it is leaking oil. So much that it got on some of the hoses down there and all over the oil filter, I think this may be the problem but I am not for sure, could a leaking head gasket cause this problem if it is leaking oil to the outside of the motor? Im going to take the bike back to the shop.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Damn dood, I couldn't find a spark plug if it was up my ass, much less in a motor, but dood, I feel for you.

--
Corey

·
Bearded Admin call him Grizzly
88,756 Posts
Originally posted by 1990GSX750F:
Ok I pulled the plugs out and they have this nasty thick black residue on them, it smells like gas kinda but not completely. I just had the top end rebuilt by a local shop less than 700 miles ago. I checked the head gaskets from the outside and on the right it is leaking oil. So much that it got on some of the hoses down there and all over the oil filter, I think this may be the problem but I am not for sure, could a leaking head gasket cause this problem if it is leaking oil to the outside of the motor? Im going to take the bike back to the shop.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yes it can when the head went back on after the rebuild the headgasket did not seal properly and oil is pumping outside the motor as well as into the combustion chambers.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well yes it could cause the problem but there is not a oil pressure line that would cause it.. There is something else going on... Even if the head gasket leaks it shouldnt leak oil...

I hope you had a good shop work on the bike. If not they might try and blame you for it. Let us know what they say.

John

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I got my bike back today and its running as good as ever. The shop called me this morning and told me that they torqued some of the bolts that hold the head on and there is no longer an oil leak where the head gasket is. They said that the bike still wouldnt idle so I gave them the OK to diagnose the problem....45 minutes later they call me back and say that it was my PCII and that they unplugged it and it runs fine now. I go in and pay the $44 diagnostic fee and take her home and plug the PCII back in to see if that really was the problem and for some odd reason my bike runs fine with the PCII hooked up
. I think the problem was that oil and coolant was leaking into my combustion chamber due to the head being not torqued down enough, but the problem is fixed now and im out of $44 for nothing.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
The PCII could have had a bad connction.. that could have done SOME of it..

BUT, There is no place for oil to get into the top of the cyl with the head loose... Only water.

Next it, who put the head on the bike??? If a shop put the head on the bike I would take it back to them and tell they to pull the head off the bike and have it checked to make sure the head is still flat.. It is easy to warp a head if you have it loose and get it up to temp..

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts