Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Do you think you should have to pay to post in the classifieds?

• Yes

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • No

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Original Poster is a moron

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So why does one have to pay to post in classifieds? For me, a site that charges to post is much less attractive and chances are would not be referred. Who sets this policy, the moderator(s) or the community?

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
That's the policy because this isn't Craigs List or EBay. If anybody can sell stuff, you end up with a bunch of assholes nobody knows anything about, posting their crap for sale & never coming back & not contributing anything to the site. It's not like there is no place to sell shit online. This is the largest single brand site on the web, so it apparently is not a problem for most people. There is no charge to post, but you do have to be a member to sell stuff or buy stuff.

·
Dick/Vagina Embracer
2,945 Posts
I figured it was more because you'd get less spammers, and scammers wouldn't want to front money to POSSIBLY get money.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the policy because this isn't Craigs List or EBay. You end up with a bunch of assholes nobody knows anything about, posting their crap for sale & never coming back & not contributing anything to the site. It's not like there is no place to sell shit online. This is the largest single brand site on the web, so it apparently is not a problem for most people.
I hear ya to some extent. I originally joined a couple years ago when I was looking into a particular bike. I am looking to post something in the classifieds as well as looking for something in the classifieds, either a 2000 750 in yellow/black or a 2001 1000 blue/grey/black and can't find anything recent...I know it's not because people aren't selling those bikes or haven't recently because I can find them all day on CL but I figured I would come here to some knowledgeable folks that I share a common interest with...the only classifieds I can find on those bikes are few and far between and a few years old...that, to me, tells me that people aren't listing on this site. That's a shame...it would be one of the first places I would turn to look for one.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
The answer is both

One, having to pay, deters spammers. They dont want to pay to scam someone. It gives a small level of credibility.

It also is to keep the site from becoming Gixxer.ebay/craigslist.com. We are a large site, and as such we hav a lot of traffic. that means we would be a target for people joining ONLY to sell shit. Again that is dangerous for our members, and does nothing for the site positive.

We are here for INFORMATION and a community to hang out. The classifieds are a bonus to our members if they choose to use it.

We could just as easily just nuke the classifieds all together, but we rather keep it here for our supporting members at least.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The answer is both

One, having to pay, deters spammers. They dont want to pay to scam someone. It gives a small level of credibility.

It also is to keep the site from becoming Gixxer.ebay/craigslist.com. We are a large site, and as such we hav a lot of traffic. that means we would be a target for people joining ONLY to sell shit. Again that is dangerous for our members, and does nothing for the site positive.

We are here for INFORMATION and a community to hang out. The classifieds are a bonus to our members if they choose to use it.

We could just as easily just nuke the classifieds all together, but we rather keep it here for our supporting members at least.
Yeah, understandable but I think that would be doing the community members a serious disservice by eliminating classifieds. Classifieds, just as information about gear and other news, has become common place and expected by community members. Some sites that I belong to have criteria of 10 posts, 50 posts (which would take me a year and possibly more), and then this one where there is a fee. It looks like there is plenty of advertising on here in which the site wouldn't necessarily need the funds from its' members.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
It is not about the money, and it works for us.

there are other benefits for the Red R membership, it is not JUST for the classifieds.

PROTIP: you arent the first to question it, but it is not going to change any time soon. It works how it is just fine :cheers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is not about the money, and it works for us.

there are other benefits for the Red R membership, it is not JUST for the classifieds.

PROTIP: you arent the first to question it, but it is not going to change any time soon. It works how it is just fine :cheers.
Glad to hear things are running smooth but there is obviously room for improvement if the forums own members are looking to sell their stuff elsewhere. Your post count is quite impressive but, unless I was doing this as my job everyday, there's no way I could ever reach that...I hope you're getting some kind of financial incentive to do that.

Taking a hard stance in regards to changing a policy isn't always the wisest thing. I always like to ask people for advice and bounce ideas off people but occasionally things come up that I may want to sell. I am a member of the Fireblades forum and was able to find some great information on there and met some great members, even sold stuff on there...never had to pay a dime...that just shows greed to me...sounds great and all that when we hear it's about making sure people are there for the right reasons but, most likely, it's just the same people commenting on everyone's posts.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Glad to hear things are running smooth but there is obviously room for improvement if the forums own members are looking to sell their stuff elsewhere. Your post count is quite impressive but, unless I was doing this as my job everyday, there's no way I could ever reach that...I hope you're getting some kind of financial incentive to do that.
You seem to misunderstand. We as staff (not just me) arent concerned that members are selling their stuff elsewhere. The site is not here for the classifieds. The classifieds are a bonus we provide in addition to the site.

As to my post count, a lot is from moderating, a lot is from chat threads, a lot is from tech stuff, and a lot is because (although my profile says otherwise) I have been here since 2001. :thumbup. the owners do not pay me, but rest assured I get a benefit out of it... although I do it for the love of the community :thumbup
Taking a hard stance in regards to changing a policy isn't always the wisest thing. I always like to ask people for advice and bounce ideas off people but occasionally things come up that I may want to sell. I am a member of the Fireblades forum and was able to find some great information on there and met some great members, even sold stuff on there...never had to pay a dime...that just shows greed to me...sounds great and all that when we hear it's about making sure people are there for the right reasons but, most likely, it's just the same people commenting on everyone's posts.
Again, you seem to misunderstand. This is not just a hard stance response to you. Your query and ideas are nothing new. Turns out we have tried it many different ways over the last decade, and this way works the best. It is not something new we came up with on a whim.

You keep going back to how and where you have sold stuff. THIS SITE IS NOT HERE FOR YOU TO SELL STUFF!!!!. You are exactly the guy that we do things the way we do for. You are here only for the classifieds it seems.

We dont concern ourselves with the classifieds, and how healthy they are. That is not what the site is for. If that is why you are here, you will be disappointed.

I guarantee your fireblade forum was likely not a fraction of the size of this one, so any comparison is a loose one at best

How about become an ACTIVE member of the community, learn a thing or two about it before trying to "fix" something you know nothing about.

I am always amazed at someone new to the forum, who thinks they know more about how to do it than we do. Would you join your local bike club and first day there start trying to change the rules?

Nope.

So why do it here?

If after that, you like the community, support it.

If not, no sweat. You wont be the first, and wont be the last. We cant make everyone happy, but we do a good job of keeping most happy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You seem to misunderstand. We as staff (not just me) arent concerned that members are selling their stuff elsewhere. The site is not here for the classifieds. The classifieds are a bonus we provide in addition to the site.

As to my post count, a lot is from moderating, a lot is from chat threads, a lot is from tech stuff, and a lot is because (although my profile says otherwise) I have been here since 2001. :thumbup. the owners do not pay me, but rest assured I get a benefit out of it... although I do it for the love of the community :thumbup
Again, you seem to misunderstand. This is not just a hard stance response to you. Your query and ideas are nothing new. Turns out we have tried it many different ways over the last decade, and this way works the best. It is not something new we came up with on a whim.

You keep going back to how and where you have sold stuff. THIS SITE IS NOT HERE FOR YOU TO SELL STUFF!!!!. You are exactly the guy that we do things the way we do for. You are here only for the classifieds it seems.

We dont concern ourselves with the classifieds, and how healthy they are. That is not what the site is for. If that is why you are here, you will be disappointed.

I guarantee your fireblade forum was likely not a fraction of the size of this one, so any comparison is a loose one at best

How about become an ACTIVE member of the community, learn a thing or two about it before trying to "fix" something you know nothing about.

I am always amazed at someone new to the forum, who thinks they know more about how to do it than we do. Would you join your local bike club and first day there start trying to change the rules?

Nope.

So why do it here?

If after that, you like the community, support it.

If not, no sweat. You wont be the first, and wont be the last. We cant make everyone happy, but we do a good job of keeping most happy.
I haven't misunderstood anything. And you don't know me so don't act like you do by saying "you're the kind of guy"...it's moderators responses like that which turn people off...a total power trip. I may use this site, but would never pay a dime for it's use, and I really hope that we don't intersect again. I, too, love to talk about various things that are bike and riding related and it is not just about the classifieds but whether you like it or people pay attention to them. Pound your chest all you want but I am not that impressed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Of the several forums that i am a member of this is the only one requiring a paid membership to use classifieds. And many of the other forums are higher traffic than this one.

I do see the point made by the Admin etc, it is a shame that it comes to this though.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
I haven't misunderstood anything. And you don't know me so don't act like you do by saying "you're the kind of guy"...it's moderators responses like that which turn people off...a total power trip. I may use this site, but would never pay a dime for it's use, and I really hope that we don't intersect again. I, too, love to talk about various things that are bike and riding related and it is not just about the classifieds but whether you like it or people pay attention to them. Pound your chest all you want but I am not that impressed.
I dont have to "know you" to know that a primary concern of yours seems to be classifieds. You have made reference to it here, and in how it was a large part of yoru interaction with other forums. So yes, you ARE the guy we are trying not to have in that sense.

I dont care if you pay. It is not my money.

I have a feeling we will intersect again, call it a hunch.

It is not chest pounding at all. But at some point when we explain to you why we do things and you are incessant that they need to change, it gets pretty tiresome. Simply put, you are wrong.

Of the several forums that i am a member of this is the only one requiring a paid membership to use classifieds. And many of the other forums are higher traffic than this one.

I do see the point made by the Admin etc, it is a shame that it comes to this though.
I challenge you to show me one other motorcycle related forum that is higher traffic than this one. I know of ONLY one, and it covers an entire type of motorcycling almost exclusively, encompassing all brands and models.

That is besides the point though.

WERA.com (racing forum) ended up doing exactly what we have done here, for the exact same reasons (as well as revenue for them though). They had too many people solely using it as a motorcycle craigslist, and it was not what they wanted.

If having to support the site, and in doing so gaining access to the classifieds is a deal breaker for you, we understand. We realize we cant make every member happy. We dont strive to. We aim to keep MOST happy, and whether you believe it or not, they are.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If having to support the site, and in doing so gaining access to the classifieds is a deal breaker for you, we understand. We realize we cant make every member happy. We dont strive to. We aim to keep MOST happy, and whether you believe it or not, they are.
I'm tracking ya and understand, it's not a deal breaker i've been a member here since 2004. :lol

And yes i was alluding to more general type forums.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
I hear ya to some extent. I originally joined a couple years ago when I was looking into a particular bike. I am looking to post something in the classifieds as well as looking for something in the classifieds, either a 2000 750 in yellow/black or a 2001 1000 blue/grey/black and can't find anything recent...I know it's not because people aren't selling those bikes or haven't recently because I can find them all day on CL but I figured I would come here to some knowledgeable folks that I share a common interest with...the only classifieds I can find on those bikes are few and far between and a few years old...that, to me, tells me that people aren't listing on this site. That's a shame...it would be one of the first places I would turn to look for one.
You could always go to GSXR.com where you just need 30 days and 50 posts to access the classifieds.

·
The Choded One
169 Posts
I used to think the same way but after i invested my money i figured it out. It makes the site so much better it keeps the junk off it. It makes the classifieds so much better.

No one on here is trying to make a quick buck. they help eachother out and for the most part is an overalll better deal. I rather deal with someone that has been around for 30thousand or so post then some random ass guy in china off craigslist or ebay. I wish i would of joined this site and looked for a bike before i went somewhere else and im sure i could of found a better deal.

The site has already helped me more then craigslist or ebay has ever and ive only been around a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Having administered and moderated dozens of forums over the last 10 years myself, I can fully understand why things are the way they are here.

I'll detail them as best as I can...
  1. Because the owners/operators decided it was for the best.
  2. Because the owners/operators are the ones who make the decisions.
  3. Because running this site, contrary to what many may believe, is not free.
  4. Because not every site will operate how you think it should.
  5. If you don't like it, there are other forums out there ... maybe gsxr.com.
The level of spam/crap/useless members I see on just about any other forum with a free classifieds section is ridiculous. Couple that with the fact that a membership here is *really* not that expensive - I see no reason to be upset about it.

Most people spend more on coffee in a month than a **lifetime** membership here costs. That's 30 days of coffee to an *unlimited* membership here.

I haven't misunderstood anything. And you don't know me so don't act like you do by saying "you're the kind of guy"...it's moderators responses like that which turn people off...a total power trip.
"You're the kind of guy" who expects everybody to bow down to you, to wipe your ass for you, and to call you master at the same time.

You will find, that this is not that type of site. While end-user input is always appreciated, it will not be treated as the gospel. We will not step lightly around you because you're sensitive, and we will tell you if you're being a fucking retard.

I may use this site, but would never pay a dime for it's use
The site is free to use, so you're welcome to continue using the site without paying a dime. If you wish to use the classifieds, you will need a membership - but so long as you can live without the classifieds you can live without a paid membership.

I have to say, I've used the classifieds 0 times and have a membership not for the classifieds, but to help support the site.

and I really hope that we don't intersect again. I, too, love to talk about various things that are bike and riding related and it is not just about the classifieds but whether you like it or people pay attention to them. Pound your chest all you want but I am not that impressed.
So people pay attention to the classifieds... that's great... Do you want a cookie for pointing out this amazing revelation that you've discovered? Oh wait, we already know - and do not care.

Of the several forums that i am a member of this is the only one requiring a paid membership to use classifieds.
So go to those other forums and use their classifieds :).

And many of the other forums are higher traffic than this one.
Let's avoid the e-penis contest. We don't care if you frequent 100,000 other forums that are all 10x bigger and have a free classifieds section - by all means - go use them.

I can think of at least 1,000 issues that are web/forum related that are way worse due the actions of those who use said systems...

Having to pay a pittance to the forum to access the classifieds is hardly something to be upset about. If you can't afford it, nobody is forcing you.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts