Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finally getting all the issues sorted out on my '86 750, I am finally starting to fall in love with my bike. I was just wondering why other people love theirs so much.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Because they're not like anything else out there. All those cookie cutter new sportbikes are nice, but common as dirt. Sure they handle and run great, but who wants to blend in? There's nothing sweeter than a well maintained and good running old skool. Parts can be a biatch to find, but the sense of satisfaction I get from finally locating one and fitting it is awesome.

And... there's nothing so exhilerating as handing some punk squid on a brand new bike his ass with your 'old technology' that earlier he may have been talking down about.

·
Banned
185 Posts
For me it's my first one, I have been riding cruisers for so long and never thought s sportbike would be comfortable. The reality of it is that if you have lower back trouble such as I do, s sportbike is the way to go. Besides that, with a twenty one mile commute and the choice of a winding hilly road or Hwy 1 along the coast I get to decopmpress before getting to work and home making me a much kinder and nicer person to be around, just ask my a-hole co workers!

·
Registered
129 Posts
For me my first street bike was a Katana 750. 89 I think. I got it cheap for transportation. I got my first dirt bike at 5 years ol.d Then rode hondas from then on cause thats what Dad purchased. Then, I purchased a Suzuki RM465 and road that for fun up until I got the Katana. I rode the Katana 1500 miles in three days on a trip to Ca once. It was certainly not a "sport"bike but I still view that as one of the best bikes I ever owned. I jumped ship and got a CBR600F2 mainly because of magazine hoopla. Not a bad bike at all. Then a buddy had an 86 GSXR750. When I saw it I was hooked. I traded straight up. The 86 had a 888 kit, carbs, inverted forks and 92 wheels. It made 107whp and was a little rocket. My brother got an 90 1100 and it was in bad shape. We decided to trade for a day so I could work on the 1100 for him. A car pulled out and hit him on the 86. He was in the hospital for a week or two and the bike was destroyed. He gave me the 1100 that day. I rode the 1100 for three years everyday. I worked on it, I rebuilt it and had a bond with that bike. I sold it to pay for college and has major regret since that day. After college I landed a decent job and got a cycle trader and found a mind 91 1100. I picked it up that day and have it still. Lots of my friends have newer bikes and believe me, they are lighter, faster and run better. But for some reason I just love my old oil cooled 1100. I probably will never sell it. Nothing can compare to that sound and that power band.

Clark

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
well there are very very few of them with my color scheme(at least by me i have never see another one with this color scheme on it, i have see them on here but thats it) the black with a red tiger stripe 1992 1100, when i saw it i fell in love with it. it was acutally my first sport bike, and i still have it. so it is pretty much the only one in at least south west michigan that looks like it does.

another reason is most people on the newer bikes look at it and think is slow because it old hehe i love it when that happends, then i some times win some extra money (mine is some where between 160 and 200 rwhp but im not telling exactly what it is hehe) even the boys on the busa and zx-12 have to take a second look hehe most times the first thing out of thier mouth is what in the hell have you done to that motor hehe, they are used to the only other bike being able to beat or run with them is another busa or zx12. i have had a few get pissed, cause they just got done throwing a pipe a power commander and a filter, plus he paid 12 grand for the bike and my decade PLus old bike just handed him his ass. hehe ohh im not saying i havent been beat i have plenty of times mostly by turbos or nitrous guys, rare by somebody who's like my motor just normal aspriated, no fancy stuff. although i have been thinking about hiding a bottle on the bike somewhere for that special occasion hehe.

yea everybody i know has asked me over and over when am i going to get a new bike, and i say why mines payed for and reasonably fast why do i need a new one, this one works fine.

ahh and as others have said that sound from the pipe nothing like it.

ohh i forgot one other thing the 5 speed tranni, that also mess's with people when your racing them most other bikes are 6 speeds and quite a few guys race you by listening to when you shift and then they shift later, hehe well 4th and 5th gear on these 1100's are alot longer than on a 6 speed, i cant count how many guys i have heard hit thier rev limiters waiting for me to shift hehe
ahh i love these bikes.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, fellas. I'm new to these bikes, but I guess I'll tell you cats why I love my '86 750. First of all, I love it's muscular look--all angular and such. You know just by looking at it that it's not playing around. Then, I like the way it gets down to business. It's mild below 7500, then lunges, screaming into oblivion at 8 grand. I like the fact that it was built purely for racing (my back will testify). I like the fact that I can almost work on it without tools. I love its blood-curdling scream. The only thing I don't like is that it feels a bit pigish (even though it's only 450-odd pounds). In fact, I think I'll post a topic on its swine-like nature. That's what--10 good things to one bad? I have a new-bike-habit, and buy and sell every couple of months (the DMV knows me by name). But I think I'll hold on to this one forever.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Because I wanted one soooooo bad in '86. I remember sitting in law school thinking about a red/blue '86 1100. No way to afford one. Couldn't afford any bike then. Things have changed.

Every bike I own now is one that I really wanted, but couldn't buy back when they were new. My '86 is the newest bike that I own. I really have no desire to own a new bike - too easy to get and find parts - where's the challenge in that!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel you, homie.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My first experience was a friends 1992 GSXR 750 (tiger striped stock) It had and 860 big boi piston kit, work done to the carbs and some other things. I told him I wanted to learn to ride. He handed me a Master Cylinder of BULL....and told me where everything was, threw me the keys and walked back into the house...lol. I started off literly crawling to a slow creep down the road scard as hell. After about a Bull a day before jumping on....I had it down. Finally one day he came home and I got missing for about 5hrs...lol. He said its time you get your own. So, I found a 1991 Blk/grey GSXR that was in great shape. Since then I've had 5 1992 GSXR's and I've tried to ride other bikes, but I just don't get that same comfort in the seat and steering. I even went out and bought a Busa in 99. Took it back after a week....didn't like the newer rides. 88-92 Always

·
Premium Member
4,572 Posts
i like them because they were the bikes to have when i was in high school in the late 80's. i could not afford one back in high school, but when i was able to afford one, i quickly went out and purchased my dream bike with a student loan; a blue/white 86 750 in great original condition. i currently own three 86 750's, one 87 750 and one 91 750. the 91 was only purchased because a friend needed to sell it ASAP. i was going to sell it, but, i have been using it as my commuter bike. it is much more comfortable than the 86-87's, but not as fun.

i like how i can easily install/modify them with newer parts from newer bikes; carbs, exhuast, wheels, suspension, brakes, etc...getting parts should not be a problem.

last, i don't have any problems keeping up with any of my friends with their newer bikes. they get a kick when i pass them on my 20 year old bike.

i wanted to get into racing the 87 750 in the AFM "dinosaur class" with coinspinner, but some unexpected things came up and i will have to wait at least another year or two.

·
Registered
303 Posts
i believe i'm one of the younger ones that frequents this forum and owns an oiler (i'm 24)... (along w/ cjjuneman).. but man o man.. older bikes.. especially the gixxer.. just have that character and personality.. that newer bikes don't have anymore...

eventho when you turn the gixxer over... u get the notorious.. chk chk chk hck sometimes, bein' it refusin' to start on the first few tries... gives it that attitude i guess ya can say... and once u got her up n started... the front wheel is just meant to come up on an old skewl gixxer... not to mention the sound...

and they even handle good... i get bagged on a lot "when you gonna get urself a newer bike" and ish like that.. since iv'e had a few problems w/ the gix since i first got it.. hence the full rebuild.. but it's all worth it!.... they just got that grunt... the two bug eye lights starin' at oncomin' traffic as ur comin' down... mm.. love em!

·
Registered
481 Posts
they are kinda like the old mustangs and camaros (i know not as old) and you just love to work on them and they have a different feel to them, a better charater. even if i bought i newer bike i would never get ride of my oilcooled.

·
Registered
202 Posts
they are kinda like the old mustangs and camaros (i know not as old) and you just love to work on them and they have a different feel to them, a better charater. even if i bought i newer bike i would never get ride of my oilcooled.
i agree, i love my '89.. i love the sound, the feel, everything. i'll probably end up buying a newer bike nextyear, but the good ol' gixxer will get plenty of miles on her too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i'll tell you what brown , i know what your talking about when you say mild at 7500 and lunges through the rest.
i cant count how many times my 91 750 has scared me by pulled my a$$ up the highway at 9 grand and like others i never heard that pipe tone either.
i love it becuz i know where im at (Buffalo,NY) i wont have to worry about seeing another one like it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.