Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been sorta looking for an unmolested silver framed 1000 (01-02) to add to my collection but holy shit they are hard to find.
The ones I do find have polished frames, shit paintjobs, chromed everything, extended swing arms etc.

Why are these in short supply? Did Suzuki not make that many? Or did too many end up in the hands of squids?

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
I've been sorta looking for an unmolested silver framed 1000 (01-02) to add to my collection but holy shit they are hard to find.
The ones I do find have polished frames, shit paintjobs, chromed everything, extended swing arms etc.

Why are these in short supply? Did Suzuki not make that many? Or did too many end up in the hands of squids?
Unfortunately many of them got destroyed or stolen (and then destroyed) and the rest of the unmolested examples are owned by pure enthusiasts such as those on this forum who would never ever consider selling them. I'd have one too if I were in the collector stage of my life. :cheers

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
^^^ Well said. Unfortunately usually painted or polished to cover up blemishes, marks and damage. I know some that have painted to try make the bike look like a newer model. Not me, OEM frame untouched. Good luck with your search.

·
Les lions Indomptables !
680 Posts
I powder coated mine almost 7 years ago to match the black colour of the sharkskinz . For some reason that silver bugged me enough that I took the bike apart in the middle of winter that year.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You're telling me I can't buy a stock, unmolested '01/2 GSXR1000 for OK money these days? Fuck me. I too have always wanted one, and it pains me to think they're about to go full retard re: pricing.

I also always wanted a fucking air-cooled Porsche, but by the time I had the money to go and get a decent driver they were up 1000% and I was priced the F^#& out completely. BAH!!! Guess I'm gonna have to figure out how to make more fucking money. BAH!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
They do look nice with a black frame...

John
I agree. Before I even knew about Suzuki changing over to black frames I always wanted to powdercoat my K1 750 black. Knowing what I know now though that would have been as silly as repainting some perfectly good fairings. :wacko

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found one for 2k but I'm not sure if it's a good enough deal
Guy says it has a clean title and runs but fouls the plugs. Has a spare motor sans transmission and spare frame.

The frame isn't polished but it's got those shitty bolt on swing arm extensions. Looks like an eBay brake res and it's been lowered.

I did find a left side fairing on eBay that's original.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts
That thing probably had worse treatment than a crack whore.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Looks like the front end is tucked from a crash. Backside of the front wheel is way too close to the bottom lip of the front fairing. Most likely why the gas tank bolt holes don't line up with the corresponding bolt holes in the frame as well. Frame is bent. Very common on 1st Gen 1000's

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Good Eye: Dam That looks like it would have really taken a pretty hard wack in the front end, to bend the frame so much
that the tank bolts don't line up.

Did they change to frame design on later years to stop this??

By First Gen 1000's you mean 01-02??

John

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,635 Posts
I'd wondered about the bolt holes not lining up and assumed that he'd had the tank up for some reason or another, hadn't reinstalled the screws, and that they would align. But OG has a sharper eye than me with regard to the front wheel clearance - that should be definitive. The current owner is insane he rides the bike without any front tank mounting bolts. Perhaps he just wraps duct tape around the tank & fairing. That may be why there's a cross on the frame's right side. The pics suggest that he doesn't have a garage and leaves the bike sitting outside. Plugs for the TB access holes are missing.

"...pretty hard wack in the front end, to bend the frame so much that the tank bolts don't line up. Did they change to frame design on later years to stop this??"

Yep. They solved that in K5/K6 with a breakaway frame head.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
The fact that it comes with a spare motor and trans is also a pretty big red flag to me. Why a new motor? Was that the original motor and some shadetree mechanic did a motor swap in the back yard, or is there a critical issue with the current setup that prompted him to go out and spend 500-1000 on a replacement?

The bike looks like shit, and was obviously abused, and the "mods" are all hackish at best.

Poor fucking motorcycle.

Slammed, stretched, ebay accessories all around. Those levers, grips, and MC are all junk. I bet all of those parts cost under $75.00 collectively.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Food for thought. My buddy traded a boat for a rashed out gsxr that was lowered and stretched. Turns out, although the frame and vin said it was a 1000 (and it was advertised as a 1000), it had a 750 motor swap and was missing a motor mount. Had a $70.00 volar chain and volar brake pads. Volar is a Chinese brand that sells stuff super cheap. When i first started riding i bought a volar chain for my Katana because it was blue anf affordable. It lasted a couple weeks maybe. Then it started to stretch and piss red lubricant all over my rim and tire. I litterally had to adjust it before and after every ride. Chain was off within a month and lessons were learned. Yeah and that "1000" also had a handful of ebay accessories as well as LED lights that were wired by what looked like a first grader. Thing was a fucking death trap.

It seems all too common for people to take a perfectly good motorcycle and fucking ruin it with ignorance.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/27-anything-goes/676873-squidly-mcchildish.html

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,087 Posts
Looks like the front end is tucked from a crash. Backside of the front wheel is way too close to the bottom lip of the front fairing. Most likely why the gas tank bolt holes don't line up with the corresponding bolt holes in the frame as well. Frame is bent. Very common on 1st Gen 1000's
I agree. And those fuel tank bolts are really off, I don't think I've seen a Y2K bike that bad before.

·
Registered
419 Posts
IMO from the pic's...... the tank is just sitting on the bike without the rear fuel tank mount, bolted to the frame, and the tank is just sitting rearward from gravity...

This is further indicated... by there being hardly any gap between the lower rear corner aft edge of the tank and the frame, as when the tank is correctly installed, there is approximately a 10mm gap between the tank lower corner aft edge and the frame.

Also both the L/H and R/H rubber (bumpers / wedges) that are installed between the tank and frame are missing, allowing the tank to sit even lower and more rearward than usual...

At least it still has the original OEM Titanium Mid Pipe still installed... hahaha...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts