Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this '07 600. It was hit in the rear. Destroyed the plastic tail/lights and broke the aluminum subframe. Otherwise she was fine. Runs great. No damage to rear rim or tire.

And that probably has nothing to do with my mystery, just thought I'd mention it.

She leans over way beyond normal. And it's NOT the sidestand or its mounting bracket. I ordered and installed a replacement and nothing changed. The mounting point on the underside of the frame is basically horizontal so nothing to bend there.

So I'm left with the conclusion that the PO raised the rear. Now I've had several lowered bikes but never a raised one. Don't even know where to look or what it involves. Ground to top of footpegs is 14 inches. About 32" to seat (which I believe is normal).

Any ideas would be welcome.

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
I see you have a large assortment of stands so put it on a front stand with the rear on the ground and the kickstand down, then take proper side-view shots.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see you have a large assortment of stands so put it on a front stand with the rear on the ground and the kickstand down, then take proper side-view shots.
I'm curious what we're going to learn from this but here they are.

Distance between bottom of side stand and ground is 6.5 inches when on front stand.

·
7,744 Posts
I just wanted to see if the rear looked abnormally high, which it doesn't. Mystery solved nonetheless.

You can see that's not the original stand, not only for looking freakishly small but there's even the yellow numbers they put on parts at salvage joints. It was just put back together with non original parts. The tiny side stand was surely just a mistake.

Just guessing but no side stand either means it was somehow damaged in the rear-ender or it was a track bike in the past that was brought back to street duty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope you're right but that replacement stand is exactly the same size as the stand I took off the bike (it had a stand when I got it, but with this crazy lean angle hence my buying the replacement). And it looks like every other stand on eBay.

Odds of it having a wrong one mounted and my getting an identical wrong one are slim.

Length of both the ones I have is 12 inches from top of the mounting nut to end of the ground pad.

Since Suzuki wants $160 just for the mounting bracket used is the only way to go here.

·
7,744 Posts
I hope you're right but that replacement stand is exactly the same size as the stand I took off the bike
Yeah come to think of it, at that angle, if it were long enough to reach the ground, it would be 3' long

Maybe better pics of the bracket? The stand could be bent right at the bracket too. That stand looks like it's sticking straight out the side. That isn't right.
If OP is having the same results with a replacement stand, it's logically not the stand. I don't even know what that bracket looks like so I'm anxious to see some pics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a pic of a "like new" bracket from a reputable salvager (orange background) and the bracket I took off the bike (which had the same lean angle as the one I replaced it with).

Mounting bracket is circled. Lean angle is going to be determined by the angle from the mounting point (two bolt holes) to where the stand attaches. It doesn't look any different to me. It's fairly thick steel so not something that's going to bend easily.

The mounting point on the bike is parallel to the ground at the bottom of the frame so nothing there to influence the angle. This is why I'm stumped.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Have you taken the stand off the bracket yet? Had the same issue here and turns out the mounting hole was ovaled out, letting the stand move horizontally once the weight of the bike was on it.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,376 Posts
This is kinda nuts. I'm pretty certain it's an angle problem and not a length problem. But, at this point, I'd have to see a side by side of a bike that doesn't have an issue.

·
7,744 Posts
If you want to know wtf is going on, post a close-up of that area with the fairings off so we can see what we're actually looking at.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your front tyre looks like it's been worn flat, I'm sure that doesn't help either.
Lol. That tire has less than 500 miles on it. Even if it were a slick it wouldn't affect the lean angle much. The little scuff mark looking things on the outside are part of the pattern on these Bridgestones.

Taking the stand off the bracket is a good idea. Will do that today.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,376 Posts
I'm thinking if the bracket/stand were ovalized so much to allow that, the springs on the bottom would be pulling it the opposite way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took it apart. I wouldn't say it's ovalized but it does appear bent right where the stand and the bracket meet. Still, inconclusive.

They're cheap so I looked for the most unmolested one I could find on ebay and ordered it. Maybe the third one's a charm.

Will update when it comes in next week.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Find a pic online of the same bike with the stand folded in

OEM the stand sticks out beyond the weld of the swingarm

if yours doesn't, it's too short

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
SOLVED

Installed my second used side stand from eBay and though the odds were long it worked.

Turns out both the sides stand that came with the bike and the first used one I bought had bent mounting brackets. This bending is just a couple of millimeters and is not really discernible by just looking at it. Comparing the "good" one to the bent one side-by-side it's not at all obvious.

I don't blame the salvage place that sold me the bent one. I doubt they had any idea. And given that just the bracket is $160 from Suzuki vs. $25 for the whole assembly it's a no brainer to buy used.

Appreciate everyone who offered up suggestions. Bike now leans a normal amount.

The prior stands had 6.5 inches between the bottom of the stand and the floor. With this one we now have 3 inches.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
7 Participants
Giorgio_Rp
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing