Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having a problem starting my gixxer [slingshot 750 89].i bought new plugs and she started straight away.then lasted 5 minutes till she stopped and wouldnt fire up again.tried cleaning new plugs up and putting them back in but no good,wont fire up again.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I would check and make sure you have 12 V on the coils first. Then check the float levels on the carbs. Is it flooding ???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when i first got it started it ran dark smoke.yes like it was running a little rich.the carbs were suppose to be done a few months back.playing with the choke dosnt help.ill check the coils for 12v but ive seen spark on all four.

·
Rookie
475 Posts
What did your plugs look like when you took them out? Clean the carbs yourself with help from the carb sticky thread. Don't forget to set float hights.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no im afraid somebody else done the carbies.the plugs look like a smokey black colour.ive tried cleaning them but think i need a new set again,there not cheap.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
if the carbs were done. what kind of elevation change is there from where you are to where they were done? you must be up in the mountains.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no im in sydney.the bloke that done the carbys was a car mechanic,dont think he knew what he was doin.who do you recommend to do the carbies?someone close and fair.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Dont go out and buy new plugs,if the ones u just put in r new
Its fuel,take the fucking thing to a GOOD BIKE DEALER,QUOAT GOOD,or they will fuck u over till u r broke
Might sound dear to get it done right,but will save u heaps later down the road
Good luck Man:chucksCheers Peter:cheersRTE38:shifty

·
Registered
373 Posts
Dont go out and buy new plugs,if the ones u just put in r new
Agreed.
Its fuel,take the fucking thing to a GOOD BIKE DEALER,QUOAT GOOD
Some people believe in unicorns :) Most are crap at carbs and electrics. Most dealers are trying to get as many chargeable hours as possible out of the workshop doing simple, predictable service stuff. Carbs often turn into the exact opposite, a can of worms that soaks up time for which the punter won't want to pay. Besides, different carbs all have different fuckup modes, and whether the dealer knows GSXR specifics well enough to not waste huge amounts of time (=money) is a lottery.

Really, Fruitloops advice was excellent : DIY, even if it is something you've never done before. The carb sticky, a few basic tools, half a brain, patience and commonsense will do a better job than most dealers. And you've got countless man-years of experience on tap here to help if you get stuck.

If a dealer gets stuck, he just gets on with something profitable instead, and makes excuses.
Be especially wary of dealers who have half-completed bikes littered around the shop or yard. Yours could become one of them.

Sorry, but I have a jaded view of most pro motorcycle and car tech's. The last bike I had serviced professionally came back 1 pint overfilled with oil, chain adjusted but rear wheel .5" out of line, and the front brake switch broken because they'd tried to cut corners when removing the instrument binnacle, though they didn't bother to replace the blown sidelight bulb. Since they couldn't be trusted I had to do it all again anyway.

·
idiot
2,572 Posts
when i first got my current bike i had dealings with a very good shop. they told me they didn't wanna go anywhere near my old bike. In retrospect I appreciate the honesty cause they (and most other places) would've jacked it up - no doubt in my mind.

oh - i've also thrown out a brand new set of plugs because they became too fouled - didn't try ur blow torch trick through ohffs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
12 Participants
OZ750L
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing