Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why all the complaints about \"the K5 looks too small\"?

Since when did "chunky" become fashionable? I Welcome the new svelte K5 1000. I like them slim and trim, not chunky.

Here are a few quotes from the May 2005 edition of Performance-Bikes (K5 1000 test):

“The moment when the GSX-R (k5) made the opposition look bulbous and feel a bit on the lardy side”

Another one:

“Unloading Bikes from vans and pushing them around photoshoots can tell you a lot.
With the latest Blade and R1, It never felt like we were pushing a liter-bike more like a light 750. But as we spend time moving the GSX-R1000 around, a revelation occurs. The CBR1000RR feels like a 1000cc machine again. The YZF-R1 seems heavy. Even the ZX-10R appears to be some sort of humpbacked beast in the svelte GSX-R’s presence”

I understand that this is all subjective. FWIW I think that the ZX-10 is the best looking liter bike (IMO). It seems that the liter bikes are getting smaller and smaller. I don’t see the liter bikes gaining size in the near future. I would bet that Kawi’s and Yamaha’s answer to the K5 will be smaller than the liter bikes that they currently sell. If you don’t like the small look, I’m afraid that in the future your choices will be limited to older bikes or non sport/race bikes.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Re: Why all the complaints about \"the K5 looks too small\"?

It does feel smaller fron to back when sitting on it to me, but coming from a TLR, this bike is wide as hell. I feel like I'm sitting on a horse. It's got plenty of bulk look to it when compared to a v-twin bike like the TLR(yes I know they look bigger, it's just the fairings) or Ducatis.

·
Registered
565 Posts

not all people that ride bikes are 140 you know. and the chunky coment well this is a new bike right? so that means there were old bikes right. they are gettin smaller lighter and thinner but, the bikes we all ready know make a person 180- i dunno say 250 look alot better. Anotherwords they do not look too big for the bike. so to some its too small. i personally am 5 10 so from the statistics i should be a perfect canidate for a k5 but i sat on both and it was just too small for my liking at this time. I dont hate the bike i just hate hearing about i got mine too. especially cause new people come on here and have no clue wats already goin on and they just post there k5 after we have alread seen a billion on here. all in all i hope i get to ride one in the future but i tend to like my k4 600's older brother.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

not all people that ride bikes are 140 you know. and the chunky coment well this is a new bike right? so that means there were old bikes right. they are gettin smaller lighter and thinner but, the bikes we all ready know make a person 180- i dunno say 250 look alot better. Anotherwords they do not look too big for the bike. so to some its too small. i personally am 5 10 so from the statistics i should be a perfect canidate for a k5 but i sat on both and it was just too small for my liking at this time. I dont hate the bike i just hate hearing about i got mine too. especially cause new people come on here and have no clue wats already goin on and they just post there k5 after we have alread seen a billion on here. all in all i hope i get to ride one in the future but i tend to like my k4 600's older brother.
That's cool. I'm 6.0' 170lbs. I could care less if I look too big for the bike. It feels good to me so I’m happy. The point of my post is that all of the liter-bikes will eventually be small. We can either get used to it, buy a naked bike, or an older bike.

·
Registered
565 Posts

i hear ya this is gonna be my first 1000 so i dont need the fastest either its gonna be a whole different world to me not having to ring the hell out of every gear to be in powerband.

·
Registered
843 Posts

But those bikes ARE racebike, they are made for fit people around 150lbs.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Look at Rossi though, he's not some short guy at all.. he's about 6' if i remember correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts