Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well my problem was stated in this thread
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283295

Basic run down is I replaced the ECU, Rectifier, and battery.
I upgraded to the new R1 mosfet Rectifier.

Here's the basic run down on how I installed it. I wanted it in the stock space.

Mounting to the stock bracket the holes didn't line up so I helped them out.

I moved the grommet down about 1/2"

So I set up the main power wire.

This is the stock wire size which could be a problem since they are so small. The New rectifier uses 10g wire straight to the battery eliminating any bad connections.

Power wire crimped, soldered, and assembled

·
Registered
60 Posts
Camouflaged the power wire with some electrical tape. I didn't like the red showing

My original plan was to cut the harness off of the old rectifier and use it to wire the new rectifier to the stator plug. But after I started examining it I realized the OEM wires were in horrible shape and went straight to the stator plug and cut the plug off and wired it into the new rectifier plug. The Stators harness is long enough to reach around to the rectifier.
Stock rectifier plug

New plug

Every things now wired up with a 30amp fuse on the power wire close to the battery.
This is at idle::: 5000rpm showed the same voltage.

And here's my baby all put back together, running, and the fingerprints and grease marks wiped off.
OMG what's the white thing in the background and what's it doing to my bike?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Great pics! Pretty much what I did except I mounted it on the side like the 08-09 bikes. The connectors are sweet right? Well worth the dough.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I thought i'd drop in and say i grabbed one of these mosfet regulators and its cured my charging systems woes.

A few months ago my factory reg and stator went out, i put a different stator in and put another regulator i got from ebay, and had problems with my voltage fluctuating and headlights dimming when revved high due to losing voltage.

the company was stand up and had good customer service and i got my money back, im thinking i just got a bad apple of the bunch.

anyways i didnt want to jack around with it any more so i got this mosfet style unit and wired it in and it made a big difference, headlight doesnt dim, and voltage is rock solid 14.2, very smooth.
Very happy with this unit and would highly reccomend. Hes put together a great kit with all the connectors and wiring to hook it all up.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Great pics! Pretty much what I did except I mounted it on the side like the 08-09 bikes. The connectors are sweet right? Well worth the dough.
How did you mount it on the side like the 08-09 bikes ? Any pics ? Thanks. Dave

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
I have done one conversion already.

Used an 08-09 reg but mounted it on the right side where Suzuki mount them on the later 1000s. The stator wires just reach if you run them over the top of the intake ports. The other lead `reaches easily.

The idle screw can still be accessed with it on the RHS.

I tried mounting one in the LHS of the tail but it ran too hot. Not enough air flow there.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am now well versed in trouble shooting the GSX-R600/750 charging system and thank full that I installed a Dynatek Charging system monitor several years ago. The monitor probably saved me from getting stuck on the side of the road some where.

Its a shame my original 5 year old battery is still going strong and it was my rectifier. I ordered a Mosfet from Jack at Roadster Cycle for $115.

http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen FH012AA Regulator upgrade kit.htm

I sent him a Papal and in 43 minutes had an email saying that my rectifier was on the way priority mail. I sent him a thank you on his quick customer service.

Jim at Eastern Beaver in Japan has an awesome wiring kit for the Mosfet that I ordered that will make the install a piece of cake. I got the Part B harness with the optional sealed connector for $60 shipped.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/R_R_Connectors/r_r_connectors.html

Hopefully I should be back on the road this week.

·
reMEMBER
461 Posts
This regulator also shunt's unused current to ground, the only difference is that a MOSFET is more efficient (less voltage drop across it), so it doesn't get as hot as a SCR based R/R.
For shunt type R/R to run coolest, all accessories must draw current. So if the headlights are disabled - that current would also have to be shunted to ground meaning the R/R would run hotter.

The pictures of the install are good, if wireloom hasn't been installed to protect the wiring from getting rubbed against the frame and other components, I would wrap the wires with it. You will be surprised how easily wiring can get damaged.

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
Satnam, you 100% correct on what you say.

I would like to add that with the MOSFET R/R that shunts more efficiently that the stator ends up dissipating the extra power. Something to keep in mind if the OEM stator is marginal rating wise. Or to put it another way not as reliable when run hard.

·
Red Grass Tastes Beta!
48 Posts
Haven't tried the mosfet but I'm on my third reg/rec now, so may get one of these as a spare for whne my current one goes!

First one, OEM died just before the three year, 4000 mile, mark and the bike hadn't been used for over a year. I then got one from Electrex based on advise from the AA which lasted an amazing 5 months, 3000 miles. Now just had another OEM fitted by Suzuki two weeks ago, so I'll see how that one goes and can strongly suggest against the Electrex model!

Also, the Electrex was a bit bigger than the OEM on, which meant I had to rotate the horn/hooter further toward the center of the bike and bend the bracket slightly back (it was touching the radiator before this and thus not working.

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
The Day Dreaming Sheep, try moving it away from the radiator to a cooler location.

Heat is the main enemy. The stock rectifier had a part number change, so I am not sure if it has been improved. If you use stock Suzuki I would go with the 08-09 R/R. They are probably more reliable along with the new mounting position on those models.

Maybe even one of the older k1 k2 ones might be better. Didn't see too many problems with those models, although they were in the tail section which on those models was well exposed to air flow.

·
Registered
383 Posts
This baby is going on my wish list. Any more input on it? Any other alternatives? Some of you are saying R1 is that the same as the Mosfet?

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
Sweet, might do. Can easily put it where the set valve servo was :)
It'll run too hot in there. There isn't the ventilation like on earlier GSXRs. I have tried it on the left side rear cowling and trust me it was cooking.

It will fit in the RHS of the frame opposite side to 08-09 model location without any extension wiring. It will fit on LHS but how do you adjust idle then?

Another place could be under the cross member for the rear subframe rails near the rear shock.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm working on this now, the little blue caps do not come close to keeping the wire terminals inside the plug. Any movement on the wire and they pop right out. Going to epoxy them into the plugs or something to keep them in there.

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
topgunz1, the terminals lock into the plug housing.

They are either not pushed in all the way or they are in 180 degrees from what they should be.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts