Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, who has replaced the stock rectifier with the mosfet unit? I just ordered the kit with the Shindengen FH012AA and it should be here in time for the weekend. I'm curious for ideas on cabling and relocation etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Like the title says, who has replaced the stock rectifier with the mosfet unit? I just ordered the kit with the Shindengen FH012AA and it should be here in time for the weekend. I'm curious for ideas on cabling and relocation etc. Thanks!
Damn I just ordered the same kit last night so I'll be in the same boat this weekend.

I'm thinking of putting it in the same location as stock and running new wires straight to the battery.
For the stater I'm going to use the stock plugs off the old rectifier.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ordered the whole kit so it comes with 10 gauge wire from the rectifier to the battery.
MUCH bigger the stock wiring gauge.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I replaced my K6 rectifier with new K9 750 black one. It's alot bigger and more rigid than my original. Also put completely new stator in too lol.

Suzuki made a big fuckup for not using completely water sealed connectors for stator to rectifier plugs. I think that was the cause to burn my old stator and rr. I used now diaelectric grease on the plugs and shrink tube so it's basically 100% water resistant connection now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Where are you guys getting this "kit" from? I'd be very interested in getting one myself.

Well the rectifier is from a 06+ Yamaha R1 and several other Yamaha bikes and ATVs. It uses Mosfet technology instead of the current Shunt (?) method of rectifying the AC voltage.

It's suppose to run alot cooler and handle more power efficiently then the Suzuki rectifiers.
Using this rectifier you don't get the plug ends for it because they are on the Yamaha's main harness.

http://www.roadstercycle.com/
This guy has sourced the plugs and rectifier and offers them up as a kit with some 10 gauge wire and waterproof plugs you make up.
If you look through the web site he's got alot of good information on differences in the rectifiers and the +'s of the mosfet one.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Well the rectifier is from a 06+ Yamaha R1 and several other Yamaha bikes and ATVs. It uses Mosfet technology instead of the current Shunt (?) method of rectifying the AC voltage.

It's suppose to run alot cooler and handle more power efficiently then the Suzuki rectifiers.
Using this rectifier you don't get the plug ends for it because they are on the Yamaha's main harness.

This guy has sourced the plugs and rectifier and offers them up as a kit with some 10 gauge wire and waterproof plugs you make up.
If you look through the web site he's got alot of good information on differences in the rectifiers and the +'s of the mosfet one.
I think this info should be a sticky. This is one of the most common problems with our bikes. I found this info out like a day after I bought a OEM rectifier from a fellow gixxer.com member at the begining of this year.

This is a good alternative to the stock one and is supposed to last a lot longer as well.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn I just ordered the same kit last night so I'll be in the same boat this weekend.

I'm thinking of putting it in the same location as stock and running new wires straight to the battery.
For the stater I'm going to use the stock plugs off the old rectifier.
Yeah I'm either using the same location or one similar to the 08-09 mounting spot. I've seen some people relocate it to the tail section so that's an option. Hopefully it will make it here in time for the weekend.

·
X-TREEEME!!11!!ONEONE!
865 Posts
I think this info should be a sticky. This is one of the most common problems with our bikes. I found this info out like a day after I bought a OEM rectifier from a fellow gixxer.com member at the begining of this year.

This is a good alternative to the stock one and is supposed to last a lot longer as well.
I agree....This SHOULD be a sticky. Hell I wasn't even in the market for one but with all the complaints these get, it'll be cheap insurance that my bike won't leave me stranded in the middle of no-where. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
233 Posts

Thanks!

Mine hasn't gone yet, but I think I'm going to get one of these coming just to have on hand. :punk

·
Registered
150 Posts
I replaced my K6 rectifier with new K9 750 black one. It's alot bigger and more rigid than my original. Also put completely new stator in too lol.

Suzuki made a big fuckup for not using completely water sealed connectors for stator to rectifier plugs. I think that was the cause to burn my old stator and rr. I used now diaelectric grease on the plugs and shrink tube so it's basically 100% water resistant connection now.
I think when mine goes this what i will do exactly. Sounds like a very good plan!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have you seen the original wires? You can't get much smaller then the stock wires.
Not really true. If you cut them to extend them (as I have done) you will see the copper is heavier than most of the other wires. And the wires to the battery are actually two pairs of wires in parallel to increase their effective current capacity.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Mine went out just shy of 40,000 miles, but it may be more of a heat problem (the thing is located right behind the radiator) than a mileage problem.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts