Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes undertails for 92\'s

How much, and what do you guys do with your license plates? Anyone done anything kewl or custom with their plate, besides using it as a skid plate!!!!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Re: Who makes undertails for 92\'s

I don't have an undertail, and mine's an `89, not `92... but I did get rid of the passenger-peg brackets and steel sub-subframe-thingy, and I trimmed the mudflap and fabricated signal-mounts and license-plate mount, as well as a bracket for my seatlock from 1"x1/8" thick aluminum flatbar (home quarters sells it for about $9/yard). Anyways, here's a pic of the underneath:

...and here's what it looks like from behind:

...I thought that was pretty good for ~$9 and an afternoon with the dremel and the rivet-gun.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts

whats a "liscense plate"?

-Karl

·
Registered
178 Posts

i don't have a undertail either. i just used a dremel tool to cut my rear fender off!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks Fastcat for the pics. You did an excellant job! Looks good, as does your ride!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks Cide also, yours looks good as well! I assume you opted for no rear signals or went with the turnsignal eliminator kit!

·
Super Moderator
17,291 Posts

Here's my ass.....Bike wuz alittle dirty after the commute to the city..And I just put the tails on, but didn't tighten 'em...

I see troopers all the time on the Turnpike and have yet to be stopped about the tag & no light..Knock on wood..

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

Originally posted by spike52:
Here's my ass.....Bike wuz alittle dirty after the commute to the city..And I just put the tails on, but didn't tighten 'em...

I see troopers all the time on the Turnpike and have yet to be stopped about the tag & no light..Knock on wood..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you take the tail-light assembly off the bike, you'll notice that there's a black plastic panel in the bottom of it... on mine, I cut out a rectangle of that piece and glued in some clear plastic so that the tail-light illuminates the license plate enough to keep me out of hassles... I also added a strobe in there while I had it apart
looks *tres* cool at stoplights and grabs the attention of catatonic cagers.

·
Super Moderator
17,291 Posts

Fastcat, nice idea!!!..never thought about. I'm still on-the-job, so I really don't worry about tickets(he-he), but if it's a good look I'm gonna try it..The tag light wires are still there, I just never thought about mounting another light for the tag..

I'll let you know how it turs out.

While I have ya here, what's the best bet for beefing up the rear shock?? Rebuild or buy up?? I'm 6'-4" & 245 lbs. and the rear seems to bob up & down over the smallest bumps. What's the best way to get a little more travel and less bob?? FOx...Ohlins..rebuild????

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

Originally posted by spike52:
Fastcat, nice idea!!!..never thought about. I'm still on-the-job, so I really don't worry about tickets(he-he), but if it's a good look I'm gonna try it..The tag light wires are still there, I just never thought about mounting another light for the tag..

I'll let you know how it turs out.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Coolies... the way I did it, I didn't need the tag light wires (they are powering the running-light filaments of the 1157 sockets that I put in my signal-lights). The tail-light itself illuminates my license-plate the way I have it worked out (looks like Suzuki originally built the light-assembly to work that way and then changed their minds at the last minute?).

While I have ya here, what's the best bet for beefing up the rear shock?? Rebuild or buy up?? I'm 6'-4" & 245 lbs. and the rear seems to bob up & down over the smallest bumps. What's the best way to get a little more travel and less bob?? FOx...Ohlins..rebuild????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I honestly can't tell ya on that score... I got mine re-charged with nitrogen, and I cranked down the pre-load collar til I got the sag at 3/4" with my weight in the saddle... I have very little adjustment left to add any more preload. I have the damping set to #3 (out of 4) and it seems *adequate* for me... but I'm 5'9" and 150lbs... I don't think the stock setup would work for anyone much larger than me. I did look into the Fox and Works shocks, along with the racetech rebuild thing, and mine works well enough that I'd ahve a hard time spending the $$ for any of those options. Fox was just under $500, Works just a tad over, Racetech couldn't give me a *certain* estimate over-the-phone without seeing if there was any internal damage to mine(smells like BS to me), but I got the feeling I was looking at $300-$400 there, and Ohlins {eek} Ohlins was stupid-expensive(~$900-$1000 if memory serves). I'll be getting my forks worked-over this winter, and I plan on living with my OEM rear-shock for at least one more summer. I'm sure that there are others here who have a better idea for the rear shock.

[ 07-22-2002, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: FastCat ]

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts

I have a Fox with the SRS link on my 88 and a Ohlins on my 90 (it was on it when I got it)and would recomend the Fox to everyone. It is much better then the stocker. The Ohlins is better but not 500.00 better than the Fox. You can find the Fox on ebay pretty regular and Fox will rebuild it for 125.00 and new springs for your weight are 99.00.
Bones

[ 07-24-2002, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Bones_GSXR ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts