Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should sell it and get a 2002

Here's today's problem...The tuner was ready to get it jetted and fired it up...he noticed (I didn't) that there's an exhaust leak. So he pulls the header and finds these eight annoying holes...two in each exhaust port...one a centimeter of so forward of the valve. The hole passes throught the head down toward the leading edge of the gasket. It is as though it were a drain hole...and I'm sure it is draining HP.

He asked me if I put those there as a performance mod (ummmm...f*ck no
) but it occured to me that I bought the head form a guy in southern California.

Are these holes some sort of emmisons vents to help pass a test? I'll guess yes.

Can I plug them up and get this f*cking thing on the road? I'll guess yes again.

Any suggestions on what to plug them up with? Ideally I'd pull the head (again), tap the hole and insert a screw that will never come out. Is there any epoxy I could apply with a syringe and needle that can withstand exhaust temperatures?

I'm ready to set fire to the beast.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
I don't know about epoxie on the inside of the ex. port.Most start melting around 400-500degrees.Could you epoxie on the OUTSIDE of the head?Try some J-B weld.If worse comes to worse,you might have to have it TIG'd to fill it up permenently.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
If it is a CA head the holes should go all the way to the outside. These were the air injection ports. They injected air into the port to mix with the exaust gases to thin them and pass CA emissions requirements. You can plug the entrance on the outside or you can plug them on the inside. As you want a permant fix I would recommend Tig welding the hole closed then smothing out the weld with a die-grinder or dremel. You can stuff leather around the valve to insure the valve stays undammaged and make sure the valve is closed before welding. Weld the holes closing the valve in each port and blowing the port clear before going on the the next to keep the debrie to a minimum. Then take it home and grind the welds the same way. this is the only way to fix these that will last. Expoxies and even JB weld won't last in the exaust port.
Bones

[ 05-18-2002, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Bones_GSXR ]

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called a dealer near my Mom's in Redondo. They told me they just plug the lines on a stock emmission systen, or if the head is off...place a thin plate where the holes are and torque the head back down. it effectively blocks the holes. I'll hae to look on monday to see if that's an option. It seemed to me the holes are not "plugable" just by a placing a plate over them.

I am so tired of the hassles. The guy that assisted me with the cylinders was in the shop when I was looking at the holes. He though I'd be out riding by now. I told him the f*cking bike is cursed. I really think it is...or maybe I am.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I think the plates are used for the cylinders, the ones I had needed the plate put on. I don't remember seeing any holes on the head, I guess I will need to look tonight when I get back from Tampa.
Simon, just take a deep breath and walk away from the bike for a while. Don't get too frustrated we all want to see your finished project.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by suzukiltd:
Simon, just take a deep breath and walk away from the bike for a while. Don't get too frustrated we all want to see your finished project.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'll do that. I'll just sit back today and enjoy the races at Road Atlanta...with a beer or two.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Originally posted by Simon Orttan:
I should sell it and get a 2002

Here's today's problem...The tuner was ready to get it jetted and fired it up...he noticed (I didn't) that there's an exhaust leak. So he pulls the header and finds these eight annoying holes...two in each exhaust port...one a centimeter of so forward of the valve. The hole passes throught the head down toward the leading edge of the gasket. It is as though it were a drain hole...and I'm sure it is draining HP.

He asked me if I put those there as a performance mod (ummmm...f*ck no
) but it occured to me that I bought the head form a guy in southern California.

Are these holes some sort of emmisons vents to help pass a test? I'll guess yes.

Can I plug them up and get this f*cking thing on the road? I'll guess yes again.

Any suggestions on what to plug them up with? Ideally I'd pull the head (again), tap the hole and insert a screw that will never come out. Is there any epoxy I could apply with a syringe and needle that can withstand exhaust temperatures?

I'm ready to set fire to the beast.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just went through this with my 91 1100 CA bike. I had the stock Air lines so I took the lines to a Fabricator who cut the lines off the plates. He then welded over the holes where the plates used to be. I then bolted the plates back on the bike with the two 10mm bolts. No leaks. If you can get the tubes for the air injection system from the guy you got the head from this would be the easy way out. Someone told me that Yosh makes a kit to plug those holes. You can call yosh to see if they still have some. Your last option is to just make plates of your own. All four are the same. To me its not worth welding the ports up as that would be a ton of work for no performance advantage.

If worse comes to worse I can take a plate off my bike and fedex it to you to be copied. Or I could have my fabricator make me a set and I could send the them to you.

CT

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I never had to deal with this on a gixxer motor... but once upon a time, I used to have an `84 Ninja, and Kawasaki had this thing called "FAI" or "Fresh Air Injection" that was basicly the same thing as the CA heads you've got... I just used a NPT (tapered) tap and put brass pipe-plugs in the soft aluminum on the outside of the head where the holes came out... it worked perfectly, even if those plugs did look a bit odd there.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I just looked at my head and as my luck goes it has thoes stupid fucking holes. I'm starting to hate stuff out of California, stupid fucking emissions. Just another problem to deal with before I get it running.
Thanks for the heads up Simon it will save me a little agrivation.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by FastCat:
I just used a NPT (tapered) tap and put brass pipe-plugs in the soft aluminum on the outside of the head where the holes came out... it worked perfectly, even if those plugs did look a bit odd there.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've been mulling it over in my tiny little mind since yesterday...and that's the closest thing to an easy solution I've come up with. Tomorrow I'm going to take another look at the placement of the holes in relation to the frame (ease of dealing with the tap/plugs) I would rather unbolt the motor from the frame than remove the head again.

Mmmmm...that was a tasty Leinie too.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Is brass strong enough to take the heat from the exhaust? How about using steel plugs? Either way that definatley sounds like the easiest solution.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is brass strong enough to take the heat from the exhaust? How about using steel plugs? Either way that definatley sounds like the easiest solution.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'll let you know if it works...should I have been counting the beers today?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It never gave me any probs on my old Kaw like that... I think because the plugs are on the outside of the engine, and surrounded by the rest of the head (can you say heat-sink) that it's OK like that... and I'm not even sure, but I don't *think* that aluminum has a melting-point that's signifigantly higher than brass. I wouldn't want brass exhaust valves though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Originally posted by FastCat:
I never had to deal with this on a gixxer motor... but once upon a time, I used to have an `84 Ninja, and Kawasaki had this thing called "FAI" or "Fresh Air Injection" that was basicly the same thing as the CA heads you've got... I just used a NPT (tapered) tap and put brass pipe-plugs in the soft aluminum on the outside of the head where the holes came out... it worked perfectly, even if those plugs did look a bit odd there.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">FYI... Not sure on the 750 head but my Cali 1100 head has OVAL ports so a plug will not work. The only option is to weld them up or to use the plates.

CT

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think this is just about beat to death but I believe both APE and Holeshot make block-off coverplates for the holes.

Matt

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for helping. I hoped to be able to deal with it easily but it appears that the block is in the way and the head has to come off. I'll be tapping and plugging. If the holes are oval I'll just drill them round and tap & plug.

Suzukiltd...I'm glad you benefitted from my headache. Really. It should be a breeze for you with it not being assembled yet.

Oh, I called APE and Holeshot this morning. They have no such item but you should have heard Paige at APE groan...like it was his gixxer or something.

·
Registered
257 Posts
These just block the outside port where the fresh air tubes go into the block under the exhaust ports. I just realized that if you've got a 49 state or whatever block you may not even have those fittings and the holes in the exhaust ports would just dead end at the head/block interface. So I guess they won't get you anywhere you aren't already. Off with it's head I guess.

Matt

1 - 20 of 23 Posts