Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my gasket blew yesterday while I was on the road and knew it when I found myself sideways and drifting through the damn street. I immediately stopped and examined how my bike had all of the oil spat out. I wasnt gonna risk my engine being blown, so I called roadside assistance. So I got it taken to my apt and took off the valve cover, since that what probably blew (valve cover gasket). I took it out and noticed all of this white shit on the valve cover? Any ideas or propositions what the hell it is? And when the oil was drained it was kinda thick and milky looking? Thanks

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,092 Posts
Looks like coolant, or a lot of water in the oil. More than just some condensation to me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And it was all on the bottom of the valve cover. That is a picture that i took after a night and it dipped down onto the sink. Don't know how long it has been like that but I know something is wrong. It was my valve cover gasket that blew but what about anything else? I been reading up on maybe the head gasket. I though maybe coolant or water but IDK. How can i check where the problem is coming from, myself

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I went to the dealer, and got help putting the puzzle together. They knew it would be the water seal pump, which is prone for zuki's after awhile. My bike had 30k so it was leaking coolant/water into the engine crankcase causing the mayonnaise affect. With the pressure from the coolant and oil it bursted the oil out of the valve cover gasket. So I will be replacing the valve cover gasket myself and probably some more, so that I don't totally get screwed over by the stealership

·
Banned
10,466 Posts
no way to check now that it's blown. Can't start the bike to see.

A blown valve cover gasket will leak oil...not the milkshake (coolant/oil mixture) as there's no coolant up there. The freeze plugs are there in the event of whatever is being used as coolant, (water, water wetter, and an inadequate 50/50 mix for the outside temps) freezing and expanding, the plugs will pop, giving the liquid a place to go instead of busting out of the side of the case.

Chances are:

A) you're freeze plugs in the top end (under the valve cover, near you spark plug holes ) blew

B) water pump seal could be it

C) head gasket

^ those are listed easiest to hardest.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no way to check now that it's blown. Can't start the bike to see.

A blown valve cover gasket will leak oil...not the milkshake (coolant/oil mixture) as there's no coolant up there. The freeze plugs are there in the event of whatever is being used as coolant, (water, water wetter, and an inadequate 50/50 mix for the outside temps) freezing and expanding, the plugs will pop, giving the liquid a place to go instead of busting out of the side of the case.

Chances are:

A) you're freeze plugs in the top end (under the valve cover, near you spark plug holes ) blew

B) water pump seal could be it

C) head gasket

^ those are listed easiest to hardest.
Lean With It,
As I was riding the oil sprayed everywhere. It was like it threw up and thats how the valve cover gasket was the culprit. What if my freeze plugs blew? What do I do and, I don't think that will stop coolant/water from getting into the engine. I went to 2 shops and they said either head gasket or water pump seal, because there are 2 seals. 1 that stops oil from getting into the coolant, and another for stopping coolant getting into the oil. This make sense ?

·
Banned
10,466 Posts
you can tell if they are blown easily since you got the valve cover off. I just mentioned it for the sake of mentioning it. Had it happen to a friend on his 600. It may not be your issue though.

the fix is simple - replace/reseat them, drain bike. refill and ride.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have photos since I would like to know for sure before I take it to shop or maybe attempt it myself.

As you can see, all of the the freeze plugs are still intact.

As I was looking inside, I noticed this little metal cylinder. I know where it came from but why was it out? and it seem to be hit by something.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For future reference, it was the water pump seal that let coolant into the engine crankcase. Water and oil heated up makes mayonnaise milkshake oil. I ended up taking out the water pump myself and took it to the dealership to rebuild (Seals replaced). Cost was 80$ and some change. I replace the valve cover gasket myself, and saved me some money. Sold that bike, now ridin a 06 1k

1 - 9 of 9 Posts