Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Premium Member
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine jsut got a ticket today for go between cars while in trafiic....i coulda sworn as long as you were goin under 10 mph it WAS legal....i forgot what he was actually citied for but if any1 was any info on where i can find the legality of motorcyclsts goin thru traffic wuld be a great help...

Thanx in advance

Jared

· Registered
493 Posts
Would like to know this as well. I have gotten used to riding in the Middle East, here it's OK to lane split. In fact, the Police here ride Honda 700's and lane split all the time. I am headed to Virginia in the fall and would like to know if it is in fact legal to lane split there. It would be HORRIBLE to be stuck behind cars in traffic smellin' their stinky ass exhaust, sweatin' my ass off...

· Registered
334 Posts
Im from colorado, and there its illegal. Now I live iin CA, and its leagal here. So it depends on where you live. I was told the reason behind it being legal here goes way back, before water cooled engines etc.. were common, due to the fact that bikes would overheat in bumper to bumper traffic if not moving.... I think I was told that in traffic school..

· Premium Member
695 Posts
Why don't you guys check your state drivers/motorcycle manual. If it doesn't say you can in there, I would assume it's illegal. The only state I know it's legal in(as stated by others) is California.

· Registered
493 Posts
Hmm, I don't live in Virginia YET, but will be soon. I'll try lookin' on the web I guess...

· Registered
96 Posts
i do it in the UK all the time, when i passed my bike test i was told that if done safely then it is not illegal

· Registered
476 Posts
Would like to know this as well. I have gotten used to riding in the Middle East, here it's OK to lane split. In fact, the Police here ride Honda 700's and lane split all the time. I am headed to Virginia in the fall and would like to know if it is in fact legal to lane split there. It would be HORRIBLE to be stuck behind cars in traffic smellin' their stinky ass exhaust, sweatin' my ass off...
I'm in VA and it is ILLEGAL.

· Premium Member
21,707 Posts
he got the ticket to the entrance of the Holland tunnel on the Jersey side, dunno if it was a port cop or NJ cop who gave em the ticket.
It's illegal in NJ so your friend is sol.

· Registered
117 Posts
Illegal in VA, MD, and D.C. I was talking to friend the other day and we were thinking of starting a petition for lane splitting and being able to use the shoulder at about 5-10mph on the highway during heavy traffic. I know it sounds crazy but our 495 traffic is ridiculous.

· Registered
114 Posts
Na It's definetly illegal in NY City Cause I almost got busted for it last night. Riding around came to a light at was bout 8 cars back and didn't feel like sittin behind them so like always just went up the middle to the top of the line at jus a get about 3 cars from the front Po Po is sittin right there the first car in the line. So I'm sittin there 3 cars back lookin at him lookin at me in his rear view. After couple seconds of this he sticks his head out adn tells me to come there askin me Y I was inbetween the lanes. I told him sorry and he gave me that dumb as bikes look and told me to go ahead. So I guess I can honestly say not all Cops are that bad.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.