Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright......I know Im going to get blasted for asking this on here....but give me an open minded opinion, not just the rah rah Suzuki stance.

I just sold my 01 Gixxer 1K, and IM about to buy another bike this week. I have it narrowed down to two bikes.

04 ZX10R with 1300 miles.....all stock with the exception of braided brake lines...and unfortunately the green (I would rahter have the all black)....$8,000

or

04 GSXR 1K.......3900 miles, undertail, bolt on Yoshi, and flush signals....black and grey.....said it has a scratch on the side fairing from the bike falling over sitting still, has a replacement plastic for it, otherwise supposed to be excellent condition....$8,300

So basically its the mileage issue v.s. the Zuk having some simple mods done. I have Suzuki gear to match the Gixxer, but the ZX10's owner is a manager of a Kawi dealership and he will give me a 30 day temp tag to use for free while waiting for the lien release.

Alright, let me have it!!

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Hmmmm, depends on what you are looking for. Performance wise the ZX probably has the advantage at the track, but the Gixxer is definately more comfy and performance is still pretty close.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
yeah i'd go with the zx10...very nice...yeah i hear ya about the black very nice...very nice indeed....I really like the "new" green on the 05 zx10....

Is there a difference in the insurance ???

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, Im actually shocked Im getting feedback for the ZX10 on here.....thats actually refreshing to see in a strange way.

If it were btween the 05 gixxer, there would be no contest...I would go with the Gixxer.

The fact that the zx is a new model bike also sways me that way.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'dwould get whatever bike fits you best. I could have had any of the big 4, but I chose the 04 GSXR 1000 because it fit me better and I felt like I was sitting in the bike rather than on top of it. the K5 i thought was too small for my frame.

·
Limpy McTinydick, wants to be a French Canadian
3,941 Posts
get the 10 and put a stering damper on it.
they are fun bikes to ride and they look bad fucking ass.
i would get it painted all black for the extra 300 you would spend on the suzuki.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Suzukis were kicking Kawi ass harsh at Canadian Superbike this weekend. So were Hondas. And Yamahas. See where I'm going here?

But probably I'd choose the ZX-10R over the '04 if I could stand the seat on it.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I have them both , my Gixxer is an 03, but its all the same. If you get the zx-10 you will need a damper !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I enjoy my 10 better on the track. The slipper clutch is the heat. For me the 10 is more comfy to ride aggressive to. That might just me though. I am 6'00 foot and 230lbs. I had to work harder to dial in the suspension on the 10 than the 1000. The zx-10 motor is a monster!!!!!! Im running a full akra and a pc-3r on her and she dynoed at 165 at the rear wheel. My gixxer has a full yosh, pc-3r and dynoed and 158. Get what you want and enjoy it. They are both great bikes!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah one other thing.... make sure the front wheel has been replaced on the zx-10 do to the recall!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the input, its ecspecially good to hear feedback from an owner of both bikes. The front wheel has been replaced, I checked it through Kawasaki instead of just taking the guys word on it. As much as I loved my 01 Gixxer, I just cant get past the mileage difference between the bikes. With 24 hours to go, its looking ike the ZX10 at this point!

·
Registered
941 Posts
you've got to be kidding me...your thinking of the Kawi because of the milage...3900 miles is not alot at all..

I've got a K4 and i'll admit i'm bias, but there is no way I would give it up for the Kawi...I've raced several and whipped every one of them...granted, I have a few mods done to mine, but I love my Gixxer...The great thing is, they have worked all of the bugs out of the K4, they have been building this bike for 4 years and made it Great....All the magazines had the ZX-10 but only because they had to split hairs....

It's also easier to find parts for the K4, and there has been tons of stuff (Add on's) made to make it faster and better then stock...

But the kicker that would sell me is the fact that you have all these people here on GDC that have all kinds of knowledge of these bikes and its just a cool ass web site to hang out at...

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Thanks for all of the input, its ecspecially good to hear feedback from an owner of both bikes. The front wheel has been replaced, I checked it through Kawasaki instead of just taking the guys word on it. As much as I loved my 01 Gixxer, I just cant get past the mileage difference between the bikes. With 24 hours to go, its looking ike the ZX10 at this point!
You will love that bike!!!!!!!! I dont know if you ride on the track or not but that damn thing handles like it's on rails!!!!!! It is faster, for me, than my Gixxer. But again that is just me giving an opinion. I have not ridden an 05 Gixxer yet but I did ride with some on my last trackday in April.... those things are damn fast!!!!!!!!!! They were stock and I was doing everything I could to get past them. Good Luck with your choice..... just make sure your first purchase for the 10, if you get it, is a damper.... I went with a Hyperpro RSC and it works great!!! Pm me if you have any questions...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If you don't get the one you want you'll regret it later. I had the chance
to get a 2k 1000 for the same price as my 2k 6, and know I'm wishing I
had.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
dude how do you ride cause it makes a difference if you like to stunt then there is no better bike then the zook!
This is a good point. I landed my 04 Gixxer hard on countless occasions. I Hammered that bike an didn`t let me down once. There is no way I`d treat the 05 that way because I doubt it would stand up to that punishment and I don`t think the ZX would either.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'd loved my 10 when it wasn't in the shop, even though I'd do it again.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I have riden my friends 04 ZX 10 and for the low end torque of the Gix is far better than the ZX 10. I have beaten him every time at the drag strip, He's been Draggin for about 8 years and me for only 3 seasons! As far as roll ons in 2nd and 3rd gear i get him every time and he gets me back at about 265kmh. and then i start slowly catching him again! The ZX10 does feel smaller than my 03 Gix, and the brakes on the ZX 10 (at least his) were pretty shitty compared to my bike! I never cranked on his through the twisties but he can not keep up and he's been riding alot longer than i have! Just my .02 worth!

·
Banned
5,032 Posts
I have an 02 gixxer and an 04 10R. I would trade the 10R for another gixxer. What a pain in the ass that thing is to work on. Something like 46 bolts later I can see the fucking radiator cap. Airbox need to come out? Guess what, it's held in by bolts INSIDE the box! Lots of things vibrate loose on a bike. You really want 5 bolts inside your airbox? As for the motor, sure it's strong up top. Just don't ever drop below 9k around a gixxer, you'll get dropped hard. Sure it weighs a bit less, look at the toothpicks they use for axles and the swingarm pivot. What else is compromised? Brakes are superior on the Kaw, but who didn't know Suzuki puts shit brakes on their 1k's?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a 03 1000 with a bolt on Yosh, my brother has a 05 zx-10r.
They are nearly exactly even on roll ons. we will pass each each other slowly back and forth.
They are so close, but get what you want!
Brakes are MUCH better on the 10!!!! damnit!!

I would say get the k5, cuz the kawa will be dead in a few years!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts