Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Which tires, non track?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  HeJason 
#1 · (Edited)
Going to GA in a few weeks with my 06 gsxr 1k , the tires are "ok" they are cupped and have that flat spot on the back tire from almost all flat roads hwy roads (S. Florida) the wear bar on the center is less then a mm away from being flush, so its on the borderline to be changed. Although the sides are like brand new lol.

In anycase, I have someone in my area that will charge 300 ,installed for front and back new tires.

I don't want garbage tires and not that familiar with brands. What would you say is a decent brand tire to get? I'm looking to stay stock size front and back and just want a decent set for the street.

I'll be in Blood Mountain in a few weeks, not going to drag knees but going to be in some twisties for shore :)

Thanks

EDIT** I can get the dunlop Q3's 190/50 120/55 for 350 installed.

#6 ·
You can't buy a bad tire if you stick with the majors. You might want the " touring " rated tires if you're riding a lot of straight roads. They are sticky enough on the edges for agressive cornering.
Battlax T30. Excellent tire for excellent price.
Dunlop Roadsmart 3. Well priced with good reviews. I'm running a set of these on a non gixxer. Have not had a chance to really test them.
Michelin Pilot power 3 or 4. Expensive but a great tire.

#8 ·
Check craigslist for track take-offs. Most of them have good centers and worn out edges. You can get good tires for cheap that way. Beyond that take your pick.... They're all good tires. If you're not pushing it, you probably won't tell the difference.

Michelin Pilot Road 3
Dunlop Roadsmart 2
Bridgestone T30 Evo

#9 ·
got the dunlop q3's installed today, 190/55/17 120/70/17's and holy crap what a difference. We don't have twisties here in South Florida but its amazing how the bike just rolls now. Because both front and back tires had flat spots I was always kind of grooved in, now I just float around the lane lol.

The few turns I do have here, its easy to see how gentle and quick it rolls into the turns. amazing. I got to see how they do in the rain too, (FL crap again) beautiful and out of no where, rain storm. Still did great.

Side note, the guy who did the install didn't use a machine to balance them instead did it the old fashion way where you just spin the tire on a balancer and looking to see which way its heavy and add weights. He had the machine there but said this was better. But I kind of feel a thud thud thud at 47-51mph, in that range. It's not exactly an unbalanced feel not like a car at least, almost feels like the sticker is on it if that makes sense.
Is there a break in maybe?

Maybe I'll just buy those balance beads and put them in? anyone know if they work well?

#12 ·
I've never in my life heard the old fashioned balancing style was better than spin balancing. In the Harley world, it's not so important because they rarely see 100+ mph speeds. For sportbikes however, spin balancing on the machine is the way to go IMO. Maybe dude didn't know how to use it. Lol

does the place you took it deal primarily with Harleys by any chance?

I got a Harley parts and accessories place near me, they are pretty much Harley only. They don't have a garage per se' but they balance tires there. I asked the dude if they spin balance them and he had no idea what I was even talking about. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.