Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager
11,665 Posts
what is so unique about the soft tail compared to other H-D bikes? my dad has a sportster and now he wishes he bought the soft tail when he had the chance.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
I heard that once you ride a Victory, that's all you'll want to ride? Is that true? It sure is a beautiful looking bike.:cheers

The Softail looks nice, so nice that Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki all copied it! I wanted it because I wanted my wife to ride with me, and she won't get on the Gixxer (which I kind of understand...:lol.)

·
Registered
753 Posts
what is so unique about the soft tail compared to other H-D bikes? my dad has a sportster and now he wishes he bought the soft tail when he had the chance.
Compared to the Sportster the Softail has:
-A bigger frame and roomier ergos. It's similar in size to your Vic.
-bigger engine (big twin, not Sportster EVO). Most likely a 96"-er or a 103 for the new ones. It's also counter balanced and solid mounted as opposed to the rubber mounted paint shaker in the Dyna.
-A hidden monoshock rear suspension as opposed to the dual shocks on a Sportster or Dyna
-Lastly, it's not considered a "girls bike" by the "faithful". :lol

It's also:
-Slower than a 1200 Sporty
-has less handling capibility than a Sportster, once you address the WRETCHED Sportster suspension anyway, stock for stock their close (both are horrid)
-weighs more....a LOT more
-Costs a LOT more

The Sportster is the easiest bike in Harleys linup to get to run and handle good. They can be quite the good "all purpose" bike once you get a functioning, and taller, suspension on them and put a few bucks into go-fast (and stop-fast) goodies. It's easily the most underappreciated bike in their linup. A Softail is a step down in my opinion.

·
11,665 Posts
Compared to the Sportster the Softail has:
-A bigger frame and roomier ergos. It's similar in size to your Vic.
-bigger engine (big twin, not Sportster EVO). Most likely a 96"-er or a 103 for the new ones. It's also counter balanced and solid mounted as opposed to the rubber mounted paint shaker in the Dyna.
-A hidden monoshock rear suspension as opposed to the dual shocks on a Sportster or Dyna
-Lastly, it's not considered a "girls bike" by the "faithful". :lol

It's also:
-Slower than a 1200 Sporty
-has less handling capibility than a Sportster, once you address the WRETCHED Sportster suspension anyway, stock for stock their close (both are horrid)
-weighs more....a LOT more
-Costs a LOT more

The Sportster is the easiest bike in Harleys linup to get to run and handle good. They can be quite the good "all purpose" bike once you get a functioning, and taller, suspension on them and put a few bucks into go-fast (and stop-fast) goodies. It's easily the most underappreciated bike in their linup. A Softail is a step down in my opinion.
ah makes sense. my dad has a bum knee and turned down the soft tail because his knee couldnt handle the weight of the bike. he got on the sportster and it was perfect. now he is wishing he had the soft tail. i suspect he will attempt to trade it in shortly after just purchasing it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
ah makes sense. my dad has a bum knee and turned down the soft tail because his knee couldnt handle the weight of the bike. he got on the sportster and it was perfect. now he is wishing he had the soft tail. i suspect he will attempt to trade it in shortly after just purchasing it.
What is it about the Sportster that he dislikes so much?
The aftermarket for Sportsters is HUGE and pretty much any deficiency can be readily addressed. I'm actually a fan of the little Sporty despite my less than glowing experience with one. With a little work they can be quite comfortable, quick and decent handling little bikes.
They will always carry the "girls bike" stigma though. :facepalm

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Ha ha ^ It's this all the way! There's nothing wrong with the sportster, it's just the Harley guys all think of the smaller sized engine ( still huge at around 1200cc's!) as built for a lady. Kind of like the size matters thing!:lol

Lovely bike you have there...I really really love it.:cheers
Thanks. It's completely different from my 750, a much more relaxed ride. Sounds like a helicopter and shines so bright its blinding!

·
11,665 Posts
What is it about the Sportster that he dislikes so much?
The aftermarket for Sportsters is HUGE and pretty much any deficiency can be readily addressed. I'm actually a fan of the little Sporty despite my less than glowing experience with one. With a little work they can be quite comfortable, quick and decent handling little bikes.
i almost forgot about this post!

he never really gave me a direct answer why he likes the soft tail way more than his sportser. he did complain that his sportser vibrates a lot throughout the entire bike. i told him that its a harley thing and pretty much their entire line up does that. im not entirely sure why they do but my coworkers say they do it on purpose. does that sound about right? 2 days ago, i saw a soft tail at a red light. the engine was vibrating so bad that i thought it was going to fall off the frame! i told my dad he should test ride a victory or another brand of bike. i know my victory doesnt vibrate to death! im almost tempted to test ride a harley just to see what this vibration is all about.

·
Registered
753 Posts
i almost forgot about this post!

he never really gave me a direct answer why he likes the soft tail way more than his sportser. he did complain that his sportser vibrates a lot throughout the entire bike. i told him that its a harley thing and pretty much their entire line up does that. im not entirely sure why they do but my coworkers say they do it on purpose. does that sound about right? 2 days ago, i saw a soft tail at a red light. the engine was vibrating so bad that i thought it was going to fall off the frame! i told my dad he should test ride a victory or another brand of bike. i know my victory doesnt vibrate to death! im almost tempted to test ride a harley just to see what this vibration is all about.
2004 on up Sportsters have the engine rubber mounted; the the vibes are really only at idle. They smooth out almost immediately once under way. Prior to that the engines were solid mounted in the frame and yes, they shook like crazy! :eek:hmy If he's got an older one that could very well be the problem. The newer ones really are a whole different bike. The only real problem with the newer Sporties though, is the utter garbage they call a suspension. Whoever thought less than 2" of suspension travel is a fair tradoff for style is a complete and utter moron. :cursing

Any more, the entire Harley lineup is reasonably smooth once the rpms are up over idle. At highway speeds they are quite a bit smoother than any sportbike I've ridden. They do have a certain "character" to them though, and it's definitely not for everyone.

Anyway, as far as cruisers go, Victory is the brand to beat IMHO. I would LOVE to have a crossroads in my garage.

·
11,665 Posts
2004 on up Sportsters have the engine rubber mounted; the the vibes are really only at idle. They smooth out almost immediately once under way. Prior to that the engines were solid mounted in the frame and yes, they shook like crazy! :eek:hmy If he's got an older one that could very well be the problem. The newer ones really are a whole different bike. The only real problem with the newer Sporties though, is the utter garbage they call a suspension. Whoever thought less than 2" of suspension travel is a fair tradoff for style is a complete and utter moron. :cursing

Any more, the entire Harley lineup is reasonably smooth once the rpms are up over idle. At highway speeds they are quite a bit smoother than any sportbike I've ridden. They do have a certain "character" to them though, and it's definitely not for everyone.

Anyway, as far as cruisers go, Victory is the brand to beat IMHO. I would LOVE to have a crossroads in my garage.
my dad's bike is a 2007 sportster. he uses it primarily for commuting to and from work with a random "get out and ride" every now and then. i love the Vision and Crossroads too. I foresee myself riding a Vision later on when im older and wanting to tour everywhere. ill relay some of this info to him so he can check out the newer harley's if he still wants to go down that route.

on my victory forum, i have seen some guys do a 1 inch drop on their bike and it looks pretty good. i considered dropping my bike an inch or so but i decided to not go that route. i think that is more for the lighter weight riders and i weigh about 225lbs (not a fat ass though).

·
Registered
753 Posts
my dad's bike is a 2007 sportster. he uses it primarily for commuting to and from work with a random "get out and ride" every now and then. i love the Vision and Crossroads too. I foresee myself riding a Vision later on when im older and wanting to tour everywhere. ill relay some of this info to him so he can check out the newer harley's if he still wants to go down that route.

on my victory forum, i have seen some guys do a 1 inch drop on their bike and it looks pretty good. i considered dropping my bike an inch or so but i decided to not go that route. i think that is more for the lighter weight riders and i weigh about 225lbs (not a fat ass though).
I’m surprised he’s having so much trouble with vibes on a 07 Sporty. They really are a pretty smooth bike. Even the 883’s, which are geared shorter and spin higher on the road, are a pretty subdued on the vibes. I can’t imagine the big twins being that much smoother.
Oh well, everyone has different tolerance levels I guess. I’d HIGHLY recommend a long test ride before buying any other bike though.

By far and away, the absolute best thing I did to my Sportster was to ditch the 11” shocks on the back and swap in a set of 13.5” ones (raising it 2.5”). Even though raising a bike is the cardinal sin in cruiser-dom, it absolutely transformed the handling of that bike and increased the available lean 100 fold. I would think LONG and hard before you lower your bike. It really does ruin them.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts